Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very true, seems all the vintage were chrome tanned and pigment dyed. That's why I mentioned that I'm not against pigment and there are so many nice brown pigments. My seats in my car are brown leather, pigment ofcourse. Now after looking at all these amazing leathers, my seats look somehow dull and lifeless. I would have never thought twice about that before
Looking at in person or on a screen? I’m not knocking the non-pigment options at all, just saying that depth of color and pigment finish aren’t mutually exclusive. The details of something like this don’t really get conveyed well, especially be use/wearing in.

When you say pending finalized order, do you mean paid and waiting?

I mean a finalized spec.

Greg told me that he hasn't been on IG much lately because he is busy working.

I figured. To be clear, I’m not complaining by any stretch. I was excited, if anything.

Damon141

Practically Family
Looking at in person or on a screen? I’m not knocking the non-pigment options at all, just saying that depth of color and pigment finish aren’t mutually exclusive. The details of something like this don’t really get conveyed well, especially be use/wearing in.

I mean a finalized spec.

I figured. To be clear, I’m not complaining by any stretch. I was excited, if anything.
On screen, in person could change my outlook completely. For instance, I would choose the unknown cowhide Fields carried over the brown Shinki by the color (on the screen). It has a nice chocolate brown, seems rich where the Shinki seems very dark and flat. That could also change seeing them in person.

I have 2 jackets that have been finalized, I ordered in Feb '22 and he should be working on the first mock up soon. Don't let that scare current customers and potential customers because I wouldn't take my case as average because I am doing a custom design so I had a feeling in the beginning that it might be longer than average which I don't mind at all because I know the end outcome will be amazing. Plus I had various linings sent in from 3 UK companies and I sent him NOS main zippers for both jackets (1 1950's Crown and 1 1930's Prentice) along with NOS Crown Chevron sleeve zippers and some Waldes pocket zippers just because I couldn't find enough vintage ball chain zippers and I didn't know if he regularly stocked ball & chain talon zippers though I've seen him use them

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I bought a sale jacket in the Italian brown cowhide. Will post compare pics when I get it, against Badalassi. Not quite the same because one's semi aniline and one is full with a glass coating. In theory one could apply a coat of resolene to the pigment Shinki to give it more depth and imitate the gloss of the full Lux... Anyways, it's more of the temper and drape I was curious about.

Crown zips are good but overpriced. C and C uses the same zip tracks and comes in brass and darken brass and silver, not just the crown zinc and darken zinc. Also Riri has those chevron tracks zips too. Modern pull but again more color options, tape and teeth and works the same without the hyped prices. Also gotta watch out for shady sellers who pass off repro as NOS. I've got a Buzz coming in with repro Crown, and I am gonna see if it zips onto the NOS C and C I've got...

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I bought a sale jacket in the Italian brown cowhide. Will post compare pics when I get it, against Badalassi. Not quite the same because one's semi aniline and one is full with a glass coating. In theory one could apply a coat of resolene to the pigment Shinki to give it more depth and imitate the gloss of the full Lux... Anyways, it's more of the temper and drape I was curious about.

Crown zips are good but overpriced. C and C uses the same zip tracks and comes in brass and darken brass and silver, not just the crown zinc and darken zinc. Also Riri has those chevron tracks zips too. Modern pull but again more color options, tape and teeth and works the same without the hyped prices. Also gotta watch out for shady sellers who pass off repro as NOS. I've got a Buzz coming in with repro Crown, and I am gonna see if it zips onto the NOS C and C I've got...

I did many tests on those repro crowns. Please try a scratch test on the metal. Also, 1k wet sandpaper test I did make simple and fast results. You will find some surprising results. LOL. By the way, the pulls work perfectly on the repro teeth. I will agree with you about those sellers who are giving you the "gato por liebre".

Aloysius

On screen, in person could change my outlook completely. For instance, I would choose the unknown cowhide Fields carried over the brown Shinki by the color (on the screen). It has a nice chocolate brown, seems rich where the Shinki seems very dark and flat. That could also change seeing them in person.

This doesn't tell you much. Both because the tones don't really come through on the screen (I'd agree that the "shitty Italian cowhide" at least initially has a more appealing luster but the colors are similar) and because the hides are going to look quite different with wear, water, and use.

I wouldn't particularly describe any of those pigment-finished Shinki hides as "flat" either; they have a waxy finish, rather than a gloss. (Indeed a finish like the hide you were posting in an earlier post.)

The "shitty Italian cowhide" seems to have a (beautiful) pigment finish.

And yeah I thought of this. If someone wanted, there's a fair bit that could be done after the fact.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I did many tests on those repro crowns. Please try a scratch test on the metal. Also, 1k wet sandpaper test I did make simple and fast results. You will find some surprising results. LOL. By the way, the pulls work perfectly on the repro teeth. I will agree with you about those sellers who are giving you the "gato por liebre".
Yeah the shady side of the thing... Haha... I got the used Buzz for a good deal. Used tanker jackets don't fetch the high prices like the flight jackets for some reason. Buzz use a lot of repro Crowns. I'll check it out when I get it. Thanks!

Aloysius

Yeah the shady side of the thing... Haha... I got the used Buzz for a good deal. Used tanker jackets don't fetch the high prices like the flight jackets for some reason. Buzz use a lot of repro Crowns. I'll check it out when I get it. Thanks!

Buzz does repro C&C (same company as Crown) too; I have them on my reversible MA-1/B-15.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This doesn't tell you much. Both because the tones don't really come through on the screen (I'd agree that the "shitty Italian cowhide" at least initially has a more appealing luster but the colors are similar) and because the hides are going to look quite different with wear, water, and use.

I wouldn't particularly describe any of those pigment-finished Shinki hides as "flat" either; they have a waxy finish, rather than a gloss. (Indeed a finish like the hide you were posting in an earlier post.)

The "shitty Italian cowhide" seems to have a (beautiful) pigment finish.

And yeah I thought of this. If someone wanted, there's a fair bit that could be done after the fact.
I have a hunch his veg tan cow hide comes from the same place Vicenza comes from aka the Victoria SRL. Not proven just my guess. It didn't look full on pigment to me in the photos so I assumed it was semi aniline. The truth is brown leather is the hardest to please. Light brown without much paint shows all the natural characteristics of the hide. Too much paint it looks flat. I have confidence in Greg's leather selection. I remember my first FL jacket I asked for many things like the mane mark and stuff and he outright told me no. Had I gotten what I asked for I'd be regretting that decision now.

Buzz does repro C&C (same company as Crown) too; I have them on my reversible MA-1/B-15.
Yeah that's why I mentioned C&C. It's the same zip tracks as the Crown, and more likely to get an actual NOS one without paying the Crown prices. Crowns are cool but really over heated like the real estate market...

Damon141

Practically Family

I used to think the Vicory leather was aniline but when searching for pictures I saw that it was unfinished on the inside. There was a picture of a jacket being made on VJF. So they must have spent a great deal of time painting, airbrushing or whatever they do to give it that mottled look. Will this Resolene give it an effect similar?
You probably would have to have great skill and practice if so

Crown are surely priced super high. I just wanted something that looked unique even though I will be the only person to know, ocd jacket addiction.

Aloysius

It didn't look full on pigment to me in the photos so I assumed it was semi aniline.

This proves my point about how no one should be dismissing a hide based on "it's pigment so it'll be flat". You know leathers very well yet didn't realize it was a pigment finish.

So they must have spent a great deal of time painting, airbrushing or whatever they do to give it that mottled look. Will this Resolene give it an effect similar?

The best thing would be to just wear the jacket a lot and the hide will transform from that alone, then you can decide if you want to do more to it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I used to think the Vicory leather was aniline but when searching for pictures I saw that it was unfinished on the inside. There was a picture of a jacket being made on VJF. So they must have spent a great deal of time painting, airbrushing or whatever they do to give it that mottled look. Will this Resolene give it an effect similar?

Crown are surely priced super high. I just wanted something that looked unique even though I will be the only person to know, ocd jacket addiction.
Most of the fancy hides we go through here is really hand finished on the top right. Some gets drum dyed first so the core is in the same shade as the top layer but not always. The Resolene is really just a clear top coat that gives a bit of shine to the leather. So it plays with light and shadow contrast better and therefore gives the illusion of depth. Oiling or waxing does the same/similar thing but would take longer imo. I've done oiling the complete jacket to give it more shine. It needed a lot of coats and lots of brushing to get a shine, like polishing shoes. I was hoping Resolene gives me the same look but much less sweat equity. Learned it from a Himel's video actually. He did it to the same brown pigment Shinki Greg uses.

HIGHQUALITYLOWKEY

New in Town
I’m fascinated by the latest discussion in this thread. I joined after the FL launch. I’m gleaning all this history of makers through reading old threads. It really is addictive. It’s a research project. If FL is screwing over existing people in the que to make these new jackets that’s objectively awful. If he hires on new people who’s only job is to pump them out with no effect on the que, that seems like a win win. Do we know for sure the new jackets are globbing up the works? Right now the discussion seems hypothetical.
If I may shed a little light on this - Greg had prepared a lot of the B3 jackets prior to launch, and you can actually see them hanging on the wall in some of his posts around that time. I can't speak specifics, but there is a lot going on behind the scenes over at FL headquarters and I think people will be excited to see what he comes out with by the end of the year! Greg specifically planned to manage the added orders with the B3 project by frontloading the work and creating them in batches, so I dont think this is gumming up the works.

HIGHQUALITYLOWKEY

New in Town
He's an electrician, dude. What part of this do you not understand? Carry a lot of cred on social media because of that. A real man, a real job, a real jacket. Rugged!
Electrician, rugged, "real man", or whatever else you'd like to call me is just fine. I'm happy to bring this fun hobby to new people and get them interested in caring about their appearance in a way that suits them.

FullSnd716

New in Town
My 2nd Field Leathers jacket and it’s in the infamous Brown Pony Hide. Fits really well. Just gotta figure out how to take better pics.

Attachments

• 9F09371F-7EAB-4403-8E87-5BE57AB089EF.jpeg
    9F09371F-7EAB-4403-8E87-5BE57AB089EF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 200

Damon141

Practically Family
My 2nd Field Leathers jacket and it’s in the infamous Brown Pony Hide. Fits really well. Just gotta figure out how to take better pics.
If you can't find someone to take the picture and no tripod.
Try placing your phone on a coffee table or countertop and brace it with something. A crude but effective way

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Electrician, rugged, "real man", or whatever else you'd like to call me is just fine. I'm happy to bring this fun hobby to new people and get them interested in caring about their appearance in a way that suits them.
Right on, Carl. I enjoy your content. You and Albert have cost me a few bucks LOL. Keep putting stuff out there. Lots of people seem to be in labeling mode. I'm semi retired and posting my thoughts about fashion, so what more cred do I have than you? At least you got a job LOL. Bottom line, this isn't a race to zero. The fact you get attention, opportunities, collaborations, etc. is great. Doesn't take anything away from the rest of us. In fact, it helps us because you are shining light on manufacturers and products. Another thing a lot of people forget is how hard it is to create content and of course good content. I used to work for a very famous brand that I know everyone knows. I was in charge of content creation. People don't realize how hard it is. I notice all the tools, set up, etc. you use. Well done.

Separately, I hope Greg keeps his head above water. If I'm being 100% honest, my current order is getting close to pushing my limits. I'm sure it'll be water under the bridge once I get it, but I don't think it's accurate to say this B3 launch didn't impact current customers in que. There's some stuff that has fallen through cracks, at least for me. Not enough to push me over the edge, but enough to take note.

HIGHQUALITYLOWKEY

New in Town
Right on, Carl. I enjoy your content. You and Albert have cost me a few bucks LOL. Keep putting stuff out there. Lots of people seem to be in labeling mode. I'm semi retired and posting my thoughts about fashion, so what more cred do I have than you? At least you got a job LOL. Bottom line, this isn't a race to zero. The fact you get attention, opportunities, collaborations, etc. is great. Doesn't take anything away from the rest of us. In fact, it helps us because you are shining light on manufacturers and products. Another thing a lot of people forget is how hard it is to create content and of course good content. I used to work for a very famous brand that I know everyone knows. I was in charge of content creation. People don't realize how hard it is. I notice all the tools, set up, etc. you use. Well done.

Separately, I hope Greg keeps his head above water. If I'm being 100% honest, my current order is getting close to pushing my limits. I'm sure it'll be water under the bridge once I get it, but I don't think it's accurate to say this B3 launch didn't impact current customers in que. There's some stuff that has fallen through cracks, at least for me. Not enough to push me over the edge, but enough to take note.
Well I certainly appreciate the kind words. It's difficult for me to say exactly what (if any) delays our B3 caused. It definitely was not the intent! Regarding Albert- he's a great human being and I really enjoy spending time with him. Its always nice to meet with like-minded people in this space.
I also think that the ultimate value is in getting as many opinions and feedback as possible, and thats where forums are priceless. My social media numbers don't mean that I'm any more qualified to give my opinion than anyone else, but its also why I try to be as researched as possible. Be well, and I hope your Field Leathers jacket gets to you soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points