Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While I do agree they feel superb in hand - trust me, I walked around the whole city for 2 days holding these swatches, testing how they feel and the way they look under different light - I ended up going with teacore. The decision was more based on usability than on just looks, though. I intend to wear this jacket as often as possible and, being in UK, that means under pissing condition pretty often. I tested the water resistance of all three of them and, while the teacore one presents a fairly decent resistance to water, the other two absorbs it as quickly as a cotton fabric. Hence my decision.

In practice, none of them is especially water resistant, the tea core included. There’s a reason I don’t own more Shinki… that’s why I’d go with the more interesting leather lol, neither is going to keep me dry so I may as well take advantage.

Cheech

A-List Customer
To those of you who have had an order fulfilled recently, particularly a custom order, might I ask about your timeline? I placed an order for a custom jacket in early May 2023, received a request for measurements for a mock up in October, and then received the mock-up at the end of February 2024. In providing feedback on the fit of the mock-up, I inquired about when the jacket might be completed and also when I would need to pay the balance, but I haven’t heard back.

I have no expectation of receiving the jacket anytime soon based on recently reported wait times, but I am curious about others’ experiences. Thanks in advance!

mvilla

A-List Customer
To those of you who have had an order fulfilled recently, particularly a custom order, might I ask about your timeline? I placed an order for a custom jacket in early May 2023, received a request for measurements for a mock up in October, and then received the mock-up at the end of February 2024. In providing feedback on the fit of the mock-up, I inquired about when the jacket might be completed and also when I would need to pay the balance, but I haven’t heard back.

I have no expectation of receiving the jacket anytime soon based on recently reported wait times, but I am curious about others’ experiences. Thanks in advance!
I placed my order on Feb 1st last year (2023), received my mock up about two weeks ago and now am waiting...

Helix

Familiar Face

I placed an order in Feb 2023, received the mock up and critique in Dec 2023, and will be scheduled for production sometime in the next few weeks.

I personally have found that they respond a bit quicker if you message them on Instagram.

I think the balance will be due when a production date has been formally scheduled.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I placed an order in Feb 2023, received the mock up and critique in Dec 2023, and will be scheduled for production sometime in the next few weeks.

I personally have found that they respond a bit quicker if you message them on Instagram.

I think the balance will be due when a production date has been formally scheduled.
Different experience than mine, I suppose... I haven't had much response from Instagram and, while the response by email isn't ideal either, they respond like once a week.

Jiantle

Familiar Face
Thought I'd help him promote it in this thread. Greg is currently taking orders for Toni who just joined the Field Leathers team.

Good chance to grab a jacket in their new brown cowhide at a bargain. Check out his IG stories more info!

20240324_153002.jpg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don’t think we can call her an apprentice by any stretch. She was a peer of Sam and Greg.

I think these are only an introductory offer because she’s learning the new patterns/designs. She knows what she’s doing.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
£500 is a steal of course, the jacket looks very well made. Definitely not apprentice level.

It strikes me as odd though that they didn't use the fancier construction techniques as used on jackets that are made by Greg. No butterfly seams, no skived edges. It's odd because these techniques are easy to incorporate. As a result I wouldn't recognize this jacket as a FL jacket if it didn't have the label.

IMG_7858.jpeg
IMG_7857.jpeg

BigPond

Familiar Face
I don’t think we can call her an apprentice by any stretch. She was a peer of Sam and Greg.

I think these are only an introductory offer because she’s learning the new patterns/designs. She knows what she’s doing.
She’s absolutely not an apprentice. 14 years as a machinist at Aero.

I wonder if she’ll transition from Aero techniques to something more in line with what FL produces.

I can’t imagine they’d run two separate tiers of design for very long.

Jiantle

Familiar Face
No disrespect to Toni of course. I have an Aero jacket made by her from the early 2010s which is very well made so she clearly has the skill and experience.

I just checked my other Field Leathers jacket which is the Chicago test jacket and even that has some of the features @Marc mndt pointed out at the seams. Hope these jackets end up with the same level of detail.

I may still put in an order though.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
£500 is a steal of course, the jacket looks very well made. Definitely not apprentice level.

It strikes me as odd though that they didn't use the fancier construction techniques as used on jackets that are made by Greg. No butterfly seams, no skived edges. It's odd because these techniques are easy to incorporate. As a result I wouldn't recognize this jacket as a FL jacket if it didn't have the label.

View attachment 601851 View attachment 601850
Ok I need to take this back. I just checked his Instagram for pics of the Chicago jacket made by Greg... And they don't have butterfly seams either.

My mistake. It's probably just a skived vs non-skived that I'm seeing.

IMG_7860.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner