Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

58panheadfan

One Too Many
I think Greg mentioned that he was going to bring in help at some point. This is key to growing a solid business. The problem of course is getting trustworthy employees at a price that won’t break you at the outset. Timing is crucial for the first couple of helpers.

Not to mention the price trend ... new machines, new employees = $$

marker2037

Practically Family
After the pictures of the leather samples have not clicked, I will now wait for the new patterns from Greg and also see how the next jackets with the available leather will be. Somehow something other than Shinki would be cool.
Did he send you some new samples other than the shinki ones we've seen?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
no, I only have the pictures I posted here. But I think there are some jackets in production now and we will certainly get enough examples.
Yesterday I took another look at some of the swatches, because I really want to do another FL build. I compared two swatches of the brown pigment dyed Shinki, each from a different batch. One is actually a lot nicer than the other. It's less shiney and it also feels more substantial even though they are the same thickness. But then I layed them next to some full aniline Shinki and badalassi swatches and I came to the exact same conclusion: I just don't like pigment dyed leather. Or maybe it's just this particular brown I don't like.

I believe this freewheelers Shinki is also pigment dyed but it has much more color dept. I gues that's because Freewheelers hand dye their hides.
6862D555-7AD8-40E3-AC0C-B6874F2BDF97.jpeg

marker2037

Practically Family
Yesterday I took another look at some of the swatches, because I really want to do another FL build. I compared two swatches of the brown pigment dyed Shinki, each from a different batch. One is actually a lot nicer than the other. It's less shiney and it also feels more substantial even though they are the same thickness. But then I layed them next to some full aniline Shinki and badalassi swatches and I came to the exact same conclusion: I just don't like pigment dyed leather. Or maybe it's just this particular brown I don't like.

I believe this freewheelers Shinki is also pigment dyed but it has much more color dept. I gues that's because Freewheelers hand dye their hides. View attachment 285420
I'm with you. Every time I see a pigment dyed leather I just feel like it looks so plain, cheap, and boring. Particularly mid/seal brown. I love color variation and depth to my leather, whether that's a shoe, boot, jacket, belt, etc.

jeo

One Too Many
It's really different from maker to maker, style to style, jacket to jacket.

I have the jacket pictured above that @Marc mndt posted and as nice as the jacket, leather and liners are, the finish on this particular leather looks shiny, plasticy and cheap looking IMO. I also don't like how the paint just chips off as opposed to fading. (just to be clear, I'm pretty sure I have an older version of the caboose. I'm also pretty sure the color is called "rust brown". I believe the newer versions color is called "dead leaf brown". Not sure how they are different if at all)

I also have a Freewheelers Mulholland in vintage brown pigment finish and it's less shiny and plasticy than my caboose.

My RMC Wayward is also pigment finished. It doesn't look overly shiny or cheap looking, it's just really monotone and somewhat boring. The paint on this one doesn't chip off, it fades...and fast!

My Himel Frobisher is the medium brown pigment finish and it almost looks like a full aniline. Not cheap looking at all. Lots of color variation and color depth as well. In fact, it's the most beautiful leather on any jacket that I have.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It seems that Greg is now going after the military styles:
A-2, B-3, B-6, D-1, RAF.
I actually asked him about it this morning, that's when he told me he's working on revamping his website.

Greg:

"It’ll be a good amount of time before I’m offering them but the patterns are all complete. I need to focus on getting my new leather styles 100%. I’m also going to discontinue the Michigan. I’m planning on remarking all of my styles with very slight changes to make them better along with the new styles so I can revamp the website. I’m not happy with it and needs improved."

I really like the back design of the Michigan. It's a unique design and a very good one imo. I like how the curved halfbelt works with the arched shoulder yoke.
9F8F033C-A785-442D-817B-07C036CF84C5.jpeg

^ this is probably his most creative style. I would love to see it evolve with a suitable design on the rest of the jacket...push the Gandalf vibe more.

diabel

Familiar Face
I actually asked him about it this morning, that's when he told me he's working on revamping his website.

Greg:

"It’ll be a good amount of time before I’m offering them but the patterns are all complete. I need to focus on getting my new leather styles 100%. I’m also going to discontinue the Michigan. I’m planning on remarking all of my styles with very slight changes to make them better along with the new styles so I can revamp the website. I’m not happy with it and needs improved."

I really like the back design of the Michigan. It's a unique design and a very good one imo. I like how the curved halfbelt works with the arched shoulder yoke. View attachment 286528

It makes sense to revamp the website as he is adding new military styles. Some kind of grouping and differentiation between civilian and military will be needed. Also have you asked him why he is dropping Michigan? As you said the design in the back is unique. Personally I like my arches a bit more traditional like what goodwear & Himel do.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
^ this is probably his most creative style. I would love to see him pair it with a suitable design on the rest of the jacket.
I agree. The back design has al these beautiful curves, while the front is all about diagonal lines with a very pointed front drop.
6F6EC486-A2D6-4E53-86AB-6733D2CD1F2B.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
It makes sense to revamp the website as he is adding new military styles. Some kind of grouping and differentiation between civilian and military will be needed. Also have you asked him why he is dropping Michigan?
I asked him about his ideas for the website. Military styles aren't introduced any time soon. He wants to present his jackets differently, with more closeup photos, maybe even video's, in order to show all those beautiful details. Which would be a great move if you'd ask me because FL is all about perfection imo and his current website doesn't highlight that at all.
I forgot to ask him why he's dropping the Michigan.

Berto

One of the Regulars
He told me that it’s at the doorstep to launch new models, before year end.

let’s see whether he brings new cross zip or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21