Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
The FL jacket is tagged 44, The Canvas Thedi is tagged XXL, The Markos ealier above was just XL, LW tagged 46, Johnson M500 is stock size 40, Langlitz didn't put a tag in my Cascade, I will ask on my next one, La Brea is tagged 44.

The FL jacket I have now is from his sale page that was meant for someone taller than me with 27" sleeves straight down. All other jackets are 26" sleeve length (+/- 0.5") range except Langlitz I asked for extra length but it goes air tight so hard to tell.

Every jacket above is rocking about the same chest width, 23" plus or minus half inch, with the exception of the Cascade which is 24" or 26" with the footballs. That was ordered as second loosest fit with sweatshirt under. So if you want slimmer Langlitz, they have the super tight fit option too. It reminds me mostly of my Lewis Mk1. Almost exact same jacket but made from two very different shops. Did Ross Langlitz have British family roots?

What I was trying to get across was that, and you may find this subjective instead objective:
1) square shoulder isn't "bad" everyone has one or more.
2) there are similarities across brands, never exact the same, but similar yes.

The trick is to find out what their tag size means. Everyone measure or look at their measurements different than the next person. But one of the size from every brand will fit just about every one. I had trouble with Greg's size 42, and I bitched about it. I felt it was unfair for him now looking back, so I am trying to write a similarity comparison review. I go through this pain joy bipolar emotion with every single brand. Try to find out what their sizing is. But I am very certain that a size in every brand will fit me. Sometimes two. I just don't know which one until I get them...

My sale page Greg jacket was machined better than my (second hand) custom ran La Brea, but no more than my Rainbow Country batch ran jackets. They are same level in terms of machine skills and quality. Rainbow Country makes the very best machined products in my experience, and now Greg too. But they don't make every thing and they don't make every size. This is why I am still in Greg's queue. I want a Rainbow Country made Peters but it's not available from Japan, not in navy with caramel contrast stitch.

IMO the trick is to ignore tag size as it means nothing.
Also, this statement: "But one of the size from every brand will fit just about every one" is absolutely untrue.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
IMO the trick is to ignore tag size as it means nothing.
Also, this statement: "But one of the size from every brand will fit just about every one" is absolutely untrue.
Fair opinion. The thing is the size tag sort of correlates to $$$ dollars. None of these heritage brands have free shipping/free return like the Farfetch either. Where I would just order two sizes and return the one I didn't want. I tried to do that with Vanson but I paid the shipping. Their jackets aren't as expensive as the others but I would feel better as a customer if they just charged more up front and sent me a return label when I need one.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Two years of regular wear

DB4B08DB-67AB-443A-BC51-14067E80C05E.jpeg
976BF214-585F-4B9C-A11A-E68795886739.jpeg
36682F88-7C43-4C57-83E3-F892A9FCB208.jpeg
861511EB-F902-4E1A-9AD5-60C05D2D6772.jpeg
2A4A27B7-73A7-4449-81FB-7BCF559F0EC0.jpeg
A121871B-6D7D-4807-AF21-B9492F30A8DE.jpeg
BDF54AA5-4C1A-4F77-80C5-56841AE97369.jpeg
6E265034-F6D1-41D3-8046-5CCA52B91A8D.jpeg
6B65B45B-243B-43D5-AE45-A148301AB08B.jpeg
8E4CF6A6-9892-4F89-8D15-A5BE9AC9D0CB.jpeg

FL2021

Familiar Face
The FL jacket is tagged 44, The Canvas Thedi is tagged XXL, The Markos ealier above was just XL, LW tagged 46, Johnson M500 is stock size 40, Langlitz didn't put a tag in my Cascade, I will ask on my next one, La Brea is tagged 44.

The FL jacket I have now is from his sale page that was meant for someone taller than me with 27" sleeves straight down. All other jackets are 26" sleeve length (+/- 0.5") range except Langlitz I asked for extra length but it goes air tight so hard to tell.

Every jacket above is rocking about the same chest width, 23" plus or minus half inch, with the exception of the Cascade which is 24" or 26" with the footballs. That was ordered as second loosest fit with sweatshirt under. So if you want slimmer Langlitz, they have the super tight fit option too. It reminds me mostly of my Lewis Mk1. Almost exact same jacket but made from two very different shops. Did Ross Langlitz have British family roots?

What I was trying to get across was that, and you may find this subjective instead objective:

The trick is to find out what their tag size means. Everyone measure or look at their measurements different than the next person. But one of the size from every brand will fit just about every one. I had trouble with Greg's size 42, and I bitched about it. I felt it was unfair for him now looking back, so I am trying to write a similarity comparison review. I go through this pain joy bipolar emotion with every single brand. Try to find out what their sizing is. But I am very certain that a size in every brand will fit me. Sometimes two. I just don't know which one until I get them...

My sale page Greg jacket was machined better than my (second hand) custom ran La Brea, but no more than my Rainbow Country batch ran jackets. They are same level in terms of machine skills and quality. Rainbow Country makes the very best machined products in my experience, and now Greg too. But they don't make every thing and they don't make every size. This is why I am still in Greg's queue. I want a Rainbow Country made Peters but it's not available from Japan, not in navy with caramel contrast stitc

My sale page Greg jacket was machined better than my (second hand) custom ran La Brea, but no more than my Rainbow Country batch ran jackets. They are same level in terms of machine skills and quality. Rainbow Country makes the very best machined products in my experience, and now Greg too. But they don't make every thing and they don't make every size. This is why I am still in Greg's queue. I want a Rainbow Country made Peters but it's not available from Japan, not in navy with caramel contrast stitch.
Canuck...
It's an interesting combo....
Works on a Denim... percent

Navy with caramel contrast stitch.
Do U have any pics for reference that might have found in the web that would share?

My thoughts were, would the Caramel stitch distract from the Blue Shinki? What should be the Star? The eyes would focus on the Shinki, But it may be a happy marriage...
Your thoughts?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Canuck...
It's an interesting combo....
Works on a Denim... percent

Navy with caramel contrast stitch.
Do U have any pics for reference that might have found in the web that would share?

My thoughts were, would the Caramel stitch distract from the Blue Shinki? What should be the Star? The eyes would focus on the Shinki, But it may be a happy marriage...
Your thoughts?
It does mimics denim jeans yes. To me it’s like olive drab stitching on black leather, just a bit more ooomph but still subtle.

it doesn’t hurt to ask Greg to send you navy sample cut out with caramel sample stitch on it. I’ve seen him do those cut outs on Instagram stories.

Heres my Langlitz and Aero using navy leather and caramel stitchings. I’ve got an incoming Johnson with this combo too I’ll take some pics when it gets here. And I do plan to do the same with Greg when my queue comes up next.

63426ABE-80A5-4100-9752-C11277F705BF.jpeg
11B0325F-16A2-47B8-8AE2-47521F8DE480.jpeg

FL2021

Familiar Face
It does mimics denim jeans yes. To me it’s like olive drab stitching on black leather, just a bit more ooomph but still subtle.

it doesn’t hurt to ask Greg to send you navy sample cut out with caramel sample stitch on it. I’ve seen him do those cut outs on Instagram stories.

Heres my Langlitz and Aero using navy leather and caramel stitchings. I’ve got an incoming Johnson with this combo too I’ll take some pics when it gets here. And I do plan to do the same with Greg when my queue comes up next.

View attachment 460846 View attachment 460847
Does it ever complement well...It does an additional Dx. , Actually really surprised...

Jaime

One of the Regulars
Hi all! Sam contacted me last Monday so we could start discussing the details of my order, that was much faster than I was expecting! I'm already in the waiting for the cotton jacket stage and trying to decide on the leather. She told me that Shinki Pony is no longer an option, they currently have these 2 browns in stock which I really like:

Brown Shinki pigment horsehide

IMG_7053.PNG

Brown Italian Cowhide veg tanned

PHOTO-2022-10-14-08-29-18.jpg

Do any of you have experience with these particular hides? How they would break in or age? I like the horsehide as it reminds me of my RMC A2, but honestly I have no references for any of these, and I don't know what are the particular benefits of one over the other. Of course Shinki is always a superior name but I would also assume that Greg wouldn't be working with the Italian cowhide if it was in any way not as good as the Shinki horsehide!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Do any of you have experience with these particular hides? How they would break in or age?
Subjective of course but personally I'm not a fan of the pigment dyed pony. The color looks flat and because of the light beige /yellowish core scratches on you jacket will stand out prominently.
As in Badalasso Carlo? I'd opt for the cowhide.

Pigment dyed pony

2DEFE034-B1EC-480A-85D8-66B233868E1D.jpeg

Jaime

One of the Regulars
Subjective of course but personally I'm not a fan of the pigment dyed pony. The color looks flat and because of the light beige /yellowish core scratches on you jacket will stand out prominently.

As in Badalasso Carlo? I'd opt for the cowhide.

Thank you Marc! Oh wow that's a harsher contrast than I was expecting... yeah that issue seems to be the overall general opinion, I thought I would like it but now I think is too strong, Sam didn't specify Badalassi but I would assume it is? In other photos I've seen the color seems richer for sure... Never seen Badalassi in person tho

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi all! Sam contacted me last Monday so we could start discussing the details of my order, that was much faster than I was expecting! I'm already in the waiting for the cotton jacket stage and trying to decide on the leather. She told me that Shinki Pony is no longer an option, they currently have these 2 browns in stock which I really like:

Brown Shinki pigment horsehide

View attachment 461731

View attachment 461732

Do any of you have experience with these particular hides? How they would break in or age? I like the horsehide as it reminds me of my RMC A2, but honestly I have no references for any of these, and I don't know what are the particular benefits of one over the other. Of course Shinki is always a superior name but I would also assume that Greg wouldn't be working with the Italian cowhide if it was in any way not as good as the Shinki horsehide!

Is the the finished version of the Peter's?
These shoulders!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
(Please) Take one for the team and find out what the veg cow is like.

Is it Castagno from Badalassi Lux aka seal aka chestnut?

If it is Badalassi why doesn't he advertise it as such?

Pandemic

One Too Many

Pigment dyed pony

View attachment 461761

The leather has some beautiful grain, but it can look sort of platicky in some lights. The yellow core doesn’t look great, but you can tone it down with a little oil when it shows through.

I’d probably lean towards the Badalassi as well.

Jaime

One of the Regulars
Thank you all for your messages! I'll ask Sam tomorrow if it is definitely Badalassi and I will let you know.

My original idea for the jacket, as it is supposed to be a 30s aviator-inspired design, was to have it made in deerskin because I thought the softer leather would help to add vintage character to the piece and push that broken in/worn look pretty fast. I knew Greg was working on some samples of deerskin but they told me that it wasn't up to their expectations so they won't offer that, so between horse and cow Id say cow being more supple will work better (for what I have in mind) than horse also

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
If Greg buys his Badalassi at the same thickness as the Aero ones (3.5oz) then it won't drape as well as the thinner Shinki (2.5oz). And as much as I love thicker leather, for a 30s jacket I would go for the 2.5oz Shinki for better drape. Don't get me wrong, the thicker Badalassi is very pliable, but not as drapey like the Shinki. It won't "suck/stick" to the body, it will just roll.

I know deerskin is all the hype in Japan jackets now, everyone is doing them and I got some. The scars and marks comes out after getting wet and dried. And I think that's why Greg didn't want to do them. He is not a rustic leather type of guy. The Shinki's give the same drape but no scars and marks.

Jaime

One of the Regulars
If Greg buys his Badalassi at the same thickness as the Aero ones (3.5oz) then it won't drape as well as the thinner Shinki (2.5oz).
Sam told me this today about the thickness if it helps:

"Our leathers are all 1.1mm-1.3mm so what would be classed as a medium weight in this market, they are both very similar"

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If Greg buys his Badalassi at the same thickness as the Aero ones (3.5oz) then it won't drape as well as the thinner Shinki (2.5oz). And as much as I love thicker leather, for a 30s jacket I would go for the 2.5oz Shinki for better drape. Don't get me wrong, the thicker Badalassi is very pliable, but not as drapey like the Shinki. It won't "suck/stick" to the body, it will just roll.

I know deerskin is all the hype in Japan jackets now, everyone is doing them and I got some. The scars and marks comes out after getting wet and dried. And I think that's why Greg didn't want to do them. He is not a rustic leather type of guy. The Shinki's give the same drape but no scars and marks.

It's a hard decision for me. The navy is just so cool as a colour. On the other hand, Badalassi is likely a better leather than Shinki.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch