Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Short Version: Greg is awesome, his jacket is worth the price.

Long Version: This is a late review as I’ve had my FL Manhattan jacket for more than half year now. So here goes:

Pattern Comparison 02.jpg

Pattern Comparison 01.jpg

Field Leathers Manhattan Aniline Shinki 02.jpg

1. Fit and pattern and mobility
FL has the slimmest fitting torso, size 42 has 18” shoulder, 22” P2P. Greg’s jacket is like a vest with sleeves, so the narrower shoulder width works. In suits terms, FL is Italian cut (slimmest body, sleeves goes under the shoulder), Lost World is American cut (boxiest body, sleeves goes under the shoulder), Aero is very British cut (tapered military style with sleeves same level at the shoulder).
FL sleeves are also rotated forward and inward. This may not be every one's taste for daily wear, you will have bunched up leather at the triceps when your arm's in normal position. See photo above.
FL shoulder slopes are normal. Aero is the flattest and Lost Worlds is on the other end of the spectrum. This is what I mean by shoulder slope flat or angled.

shoulder slope.jpg

FL has very similar shoulder slopes as Lewis Leather, Simmons Bilt, and FiveStar. No matter what shoulder shape you got, FL should work for you because it's right in the middle.

2. Details / Craftsmanship
Greg set his sewing machine up at 11 stitches per inch. Higher count doesn't mean anything except slower production time. Lewis sews at 6 stitches per inch. The higher stitch count shows that Greg gives all he's got into every jacket. It would literally take him almost twice as long to make a jacket than others. Not the best business decision if you ask me, but he does it, to set himself apart from others.
Field Leather Manhattan Aniline Shinki 08.jpg

Greg also puts a lot of effort into building his brand. You get a very high quality dust bag with the jacket:
Field Leather Manhattan 1080 02.jpg

FL brass zippers is the best out of all jackets I have. Lost worlds uses NOS boxy talons, but the tapes all failed. Aero uses brass plated stuff for their regular talons, not great. Although Aero's Boxy Talon is a lot better. If you order Aero, go with Boxy Talon Brass zippers, same price much higher quality.

IMG_2435.jpg

FL also used one piece leather for the bottom inside hem. Lost Worlds uses smaller pieces stitched together. Aero give you a single kidney panel, even when its uses more leather than the whole bottom hem, out of stubbornness. Again these are all the little details that set Greg's jacket apart, but not the best business decision imo.

IMG_2436.jpg

FL quilt liner material is also better than others. Same warmth as the super warm Vanson quilted liner, but more luxurious feel and less bulk.

Now the following is my own very bias personal view:
Do I regret buying FL at full price £1,030, No. But he is too cheap and too expensive at the same time. If I put in the same effort I would charge more just to make it viable business. At the same time, buying leather direct means I can get a Shinki jacket made in USA for less than what Greg charges now.
Would I buy another FL jacket, Yes BUT I don't want to wait a year and It's gotta be something I simply cannot get anywhere else.
I missed Greg's Badalassi jackets, which was a good deal for what he was asking for, compared to what others are asking for. Too bad.
That's all I got. Thanks for reading.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

Long Version: This is a late review as I’ve had my FL Manhattan jacket for more than half year now. So here goes:

View attachment 341703
View attachment 341704

View attachment 341720

FL has the slimmest fitting torso, size 42 has 18” shoulder, 22” P2P. Greg’s jacket is like a vest with sleeves, so the narrower shoulder width works. In suits terms, FL is Italian cut (slimmest body, sleeves goes under the shoulder), Lost World is American cut (boxiest body, sleeves goes under the shoulder), Aero is very British cut (tapered military style with sleeves same level at the shoulder).
FL sleeves are also rotated forward and inward. This may not be every one's taste for daily wear, you will have bunched up leather at the triceps when your arm's in normal position. See photo above.
FL shoulder slopes are normal. Aero is the flattest and Lost Worlds is on the other end of the spectrum. This is what I mean by shoulder slope flat or angled.

View attachment 341709

FL has very similar shoulder slopes as Lewis Leather, Simmons Bilt, and FiveStar. No matter what shoulder shape you got, FL should work for you because it's right in the middle.

Greg set his sewing machine up at 11 stitches per inch. Higher count doesn't mean anything except slower production time. Lewis sews at 6 stitches per inch. The higher stitch count shows that Greg gives all he's got into every jacket. It would literally take him almost twice as long to make a jacket than others. Not the best business decision if you ask me, but he does it, to set himself apart from others.
View attachment 341710

Greg also puts a lot of effort into building his brand. You get a very high quality dust bag with the jacket:
View attachment 341711

FL brass zippers is the best out of all jackets I have. Lost worlds uses NOS boxy talons, but the tapes all failed. Aero uses brass plated stuff for their regular talons, not great. Although Aero's Boxy Talon is a lot better. If you order Aero, go with Boxy Talon Brass zippers, same price much higher quality.

View attachment 341712
FL also used one piece leather for the bottom inside hem. Lost Worlds uses smaller pieces stitched together. Aero give you a single kidney panel, even when its uses more leather than the whole bottom hem, out of stubbornness. Again these are all the little details that set Greg's jacket apart, but not the best business decision imo.

View attachment 341713
FL quilt liner material is also better than others. Same warmth as the super warm Vanson quilted liner, but more luxurious feel and less bulk.

Do I regret buying FL at full price £1,030, No. But he is too cheap and too expensive at the same time. If I put in the same effort I would charge more just to make it viable business. At the same time, buying leather direct means I can get a Shinki jacket made in USA for less than what Greg charges now.
Would I buy another FL jacket, Yes BUT I don't want to wait a year and It's gotta be something I simply cannot get anywhere else.
I missed Greg's Badalassi jackets, which was a good deal for what he was asking for, compared to what others are asking for. Too bad.
This is a great review, very informative. One more observation related to the sleeve curvature:

4F9CEBE2-9815-44D1-8E53-8906A5AE086F.jpeg

See how the sleeve presses against the back of your wrist. Greg is now working on his patterns and this is one of the things he's adjusting:

6DD8BEF3-2CF4-4D93-8FAF-977528257EAD.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is a great review, very informative. One more observation related to the sleeve curvature:

View attachment 341724

See how the sleeve presses against the back of your wrist. Greg is now working on his patterns and this is one of the things he's adjusting:

View attachment 341725

Good eye, I forgot about that one.

I actually like how his sleeves ends on a curve. It's very moto style. It might not be for everyday wear as the back will rub against the back palm. But it's different, and it helps to be different in a sea of all other makers who are essentially making the same thing but different marketing. So maybe keep it for the moto style but tone down for civilian styles? Up to him.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 341703
View attachment 341704

View attachment 341720

View attachment 341709

View attachment 341710

View attachment 341711

View attachment 341712

View attachment 341713

AWesome review, and nice touch on the side by side comparison of different makers take on a D pocket. Love the details on your FL jacket! Thanks for sharing!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
AWesome review, and nice touch on the side by side comparison of different makers take on a D pocket. Love the details on your FL jacket! Thanks for sharing!
Yeah I mainly wanted to show that Greg is not Aero 3.0, and for the money I would of gotten FL instead of LW, but I wouldn’t know unless I actually had one, LW. This is the journey I suppose.

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Yeah I mainly wanted to show that Greg is not Aero 3.0, and for the money I would of gotten FL instead of LW, but I wouldn’t know unless I actually had one, LW. This is the journey I suppose.
Noted! Greg is in his own niche bubble and I'm curious to see how his business practice will evolve over the years. The long wait will be a struggle for some but it's worth it. My journey is still pretty limited but it's been educational so far, atleast now I know what I want in a jacket in terms of fit/pattern/look/color.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 341703
View attachment 341704

View attachment 341720

View attachment 341709

View attachment 341710

View attachment 341711

View attachment 341712

View attachment 341713

Bravo. Thanks for the effort. Really informative.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You find the J23 generally more restrictive than other makers?
Its a different fit for sure. Greg got around this by tucking his sleeves into the body, this might not be true to original, I don't know. FL and LW are the only two J23/24 I got. Aero doesn't really count because its more like a half belt pattern block but in biker design. I have been on the hunt for an original. But they cost more than my first car. So that's why it might take years for me to actually find out what's the deal with the J23/24 jackets. If anybody has an original please post the pics lying flat with arms in natural position, and in high five position, I can put it onto the photo and we will know, without spending an arm and a leg.
U have the RMC one? please post pic.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Its a different fit for sure. Greg got around this by tucking his sleeves into the body, this might not be true to original, I don't know. FL and LW are the only two J23/24 I got. Aero doesn't really count because its more like a half belt pattern block but in biker design. I have been on the hunt for an original. But they cost more than my first car. So that's why it might take years for me to actually find out what's the deal with the J23/24 jackets. If anybody has an original please post the pics lying flat with arms in natural position, and in high five position, I can put it onto the photo and we will know, without spending an arm and a leg.
U have the RMC one? please post pic.

No, I don't have any RMC, I could not get them to fit so far :(

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
Anyone knows what Greg is up to?
I was told on May 25th that my mockup should be done soon and complete silence since then...
Considering i was originally promised a mockup in February and a jacket in March, i am wondering if other people are experiencing this kind of delays?
Probably combining working on jackets while working on his new workshop?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Anyone knows what Greg is up to?
I was told on May 25th that my mockup should be done soon and complete silence since then...
Considering i was originally promised a mockup in February and a jacket in March, i am wondering if other people are experiencing this kind of delays?

It does look like he is preoccupied with construction work on his workshop. I also experienced waiting 2-3 months from when the projected completion date was set to delivery itself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ