Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
Great looking jacket @XOlive!

I've got an order in with Greg and trying to make some decisions ahead of time. The plan is for a black cross zip and the first big decision is leather: black aniline, black tea core, or black pony? I'm hoping owners of these can weigh in with their experiences. I've read a few of @Jin431's previous comments but it'd be great to get a comparison update after months of wear.

For me, durability is paramount as this will be an everyday jacket that will see some rain and everyday abuse. This has me leaning toward tea core as I've read the top coat lends some protection against rain. Maybe it also takes scratches better than the "softer" aniline?

best go for the black teacore since you mentioned it will see some rain. don't get me wrong but you'll still get wet but not as fast as when wearing the semi aniline pony or the black full aniline.

as far as scratches go, the black teacore will show more of it since it has a light brown underlayer than the dyed black through the core full aniline leather.

@Jin431 any updates on your pony Manhattan?
not much wear since I've been away but I'll try to make up for lost time and update the thread then

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would have bought it immediately, but unfortunately it will not fit me.
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-17 um 12.49.22.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-17 um 12.49.31.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-17 um 12.49.42.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-17 um 12.49.50.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-17 um 12.50.02.png

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
^^^I just posted this in the Finds thread. My bad.

It's a beauty. I'd hit BIN if the waist could've been cinched down another inch or so. It's a beauty.

oskar

One of the Regulars
@Jin431 and everyone else.
Hey, what is your opinion on the length of the leather strap that is attached to the zippers. It looks a little long.

By the way, I really like the design of your latest jacket, Jin. I went with the same one for the front side.

oskar

One of the Regulars
Thanks. I thought about that. I am just not sure if I like that way. I just saw that Greg finished my jacket, that would be the perfect moment to ask him to shorten it. I am a bit afraid to do it myself. Its like cutting your own hair. You are confident in your abilities until you aren't.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It could just be angles. Things (that are closer to the lens) looks bigger compared to things that are further away from the lens. POV. Nice jacket BTW.
Image1.jpg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I got mine soaking wet several times without any issues. Just make sure you don't let it dry near a heat source. I didn't have to do any reshaping.

Chrome tanned leathers will keep you dry for hours even when going through heavy down poor. If that's what you're looking for, Shinki is not the way to go.

@Jin431 any updates on your pony Manhattan?

Once again I am wishing the chrome tanned Shinki horsehide was stocked by these makers. The hides are great but imo the end result would be so much better if chrome tanned.

Thanks. I thought about that. I am just not sure if I like that way. I just saw that Greg finished my jacket, that would be the perfect moment to ask him to shorten it. I am a bit afraid to do it myself. Its like cutting your own hair. You are confident in your abilities until you aren't.

It’s genuinely just a strip of leather. It’s not like you’re attempting to hem a jacket with scissors.

oskar

One of the Regulars
Once again I am wishing the chrome tanned Shinki horsehide was stocked by these makers. The hides are great but imo the end result would be so much better if chrome tanned.

It’s genuinely just a strip of leather. It’s not like you’re attempting to hem a jacket with scissors.

Do you have pictures of the chrome tanned shinki? Does it look just better than the veg tan or do you prefer it for other attributes?

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

You get a much nicer finish if you use a blade rather than scissors.
Cissors give the leather a slanted edge, a blade will give you a perfect square cut.
Personally i always use a sharp chef knife and a chopping board to get the pulls to my favourite length.

@oskar it's really not rocket science, if you can cut an apple into quarters without loosing a finger you can cut pullers to length...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Do you have pictures of the chrome tanned shinki? Does it look just better than the veg tan or do you prefer it for other attributes?
You don't have to worry about chrome vs veg tan shinki. All Shinki regardless of how the crust is tanned, wet blue (chrome) aka oil tan, wet white (synthetic tanning), or wet green (natural tanning). They are all heavily retanned in the veg pits to get that nice brown teacore color. Most people also baby their Shinki jackets so it would be impossible to find out what's underneath exactly unless you subject it to heat excess of 80 Celcius I believe is the thresh hold.
If you like science, this is a good read on wet white tanning, which covers part of wet blue (chrome). Wet green is so ancient its passed down by word of mouth.

You are getting a quality product from Greg. His pattern blocks could use some upgrades, but he has very high (maybe the highest) standards for his leather selection and how his jackets looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ