Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Damon141

Practically Family
He told me it was returned due to sizing. I do believe him. Quality is top notch. But I see the point of making pockets on the mock up jackets now.

So get your mock up jacket as close as possible people! Especially if you're doing a brand new design pattern!
I’m going to ask for pockets on my Route 66 because I’m not into the high slant pocket design, I will with go horizontal or a lower slant like a Bates racer.

All in all this is just something that a few here would notice and when you wear this in public people are just going to be amazed by how this fits you because tailored leather is just a rarity. I’m sure you turn a few heads with your modest collection

This is not the case. Greg made the jacket for me, but there was a small misstake with the chest size. He offered me a remake. When I tried the jacket on the handwarmers looked very normal. I am sure it has to do with our different body types. I think he sold it for 750 which is a great price in my opinion.
I don’t think it’s related to sizing and it’s also not exclusive to Greg.
Aero screwed this one up:
FE20B0C8-31EA-42E9-A61C-CED8538B21BF.jpeg

But not this one:
BA9E377A-24AE-4122-BD6B-D51A1310DE42.jpeg

This, much like chest pocket height, is one of my buttons. I miss a good deal of detail, but not this one. Just like a chest pocket sitting on your shoulder, this placement sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

oskar

One of the Regulars
It was not just great. It was excellent!

So are you doing the same jacket again or different design?

The new design will have a few changes. The back will stay the same, but the front will be a little bit different. It will have an angled D-Pocket without an extra Pocket on top. The sleeves will have the zipper on the side, I will take the normal size front zipper and snaps for the lower collar. I like the design of my old jacket, but I hope that the jacket will look more exciting and special. I will stick with the black pony. Greg let me know that teh jacket will be ready this week.
My highest regard to Greg that he offered a remake. I think that decisions like that really set him a part.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I’m going to ask for pockets on my Route 66 because I’m not into the high slant pocket design, I will with go horizontal or a lower slant like a Bates racer.

All in all this is just something that a few here would notice and when you wear this in public people are just going to be amazed by how this fits you because tailored leather is just a rarity. I’m sure you turn a few heads with your modest collection
Test jacket with pocket location is a must in your case imo. The racers are so clean looking the pockets are important. I only saw the cloth jackets for sizing before so I was biased. Now having been through less than perfect pockets myself I see the importance.

I don’t think it’s related to sizing and it’s also not exclusive to Greg.
Aero screwed this one up:
View attachment 426584
But not this one:
View attachment 426583
This, much like chest pocket height, is one of my buttons. I miss a good deal of detail, but not this one. Just like a chest pocket sitting on your shoulder, this placement sticks out like a sore thumb to me.
I see what they did in the top one. They went JH-1 without being a JH-1…. Small things like these do grow on me too.
The Comipel bootlegger is perfect though. I wonder how orange it is now…

The new design will have a few changes. The back will stay the same, but the front will be a little bit different. It will have an angled D-Pocket without an extra Pocket on top. The sleeves will have the zipper on the side, I will take the normal size front zipper and snaps for the lower collar. I like the design of my old jacket, but I hope that the jacket will look more exciting and special. I will stick with the black pony. Greg let me know that teh jacket will be ready this week.
My highest regard to Greg that he offered a remake. I think that decisions like that really set him a part.
Good choices. I’ve not seen a side sleeve zipper yet, like the Durables. They make more sense than on the bottom. Good choice going with the Japanese number 5 zip, it’s small but it’s made better than the 8 zip. Can’t wait to see the Mk2 with the D pocket!

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I’d send this pic to Greg. I hate to be a dick about it but I’d hope for the same if it were my jacket…those handwarmers just aren’t right! It’s an expensive piece. I expect this stuff from 5 Star but Greg is in a different league. Frankly a league of his own. I just can’t help but feel he should’ve known better about the angle, spacing and placement. I don’t think it can be fixed. Needs to be redone. I’m also not trying to piss on your parade….it’s a great jacket but that’s a detail I personally couldn’t live with. The angle of those hand warmers is better suited to a zipper that is arrow straight, right down the middle.

He would have only known if he was a leather jacket nerd like we are...
I learnt recently that Greg isn't actually that interrested in leather jackets, he doesn't wear them, doesn't collect them, doesn't know much about the vintage ones...
He knows how to use a sewing machine to stitch leather and is very proficient at it, but is not a "leather jacket nerd".
I think you need to spend hours looking at jackets to see details like the position of these pockets.

He would have only known if he was a leather jacket nerd like we are...
I learnt recently that Greg isn't actually that interrested in leather jackets, he doesn't wear them, doesn't collect them, doesn't know much about the vintage ones...
He knows how to use a sewing machine to stitch leather and is very proficient at it, but is not a "leather jacket nerd".
I think you need to spend hours looking at jackets to see details like the position of these pockets.
I'm surprised to hear that.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Pocket-gate... Just kidding!

To be clear though. It was just a sale jacket. Not a full retail custom jacket.

The next person that orders a FL "Aviator" Xzip will have correct pockets.

No JH-1 pockets on a Monarch jacket.

Pocket-gate... Just kidding!

To be clear though. It was just a sale jacket. Not a full retail custom jacket.

The next person that orders a FL "Aviator" Xzip will have correct pockets.

No JH-1 pockets on a Monarch jacket.
Repositioning the chest pocket and changing the main zip angle would fix the pocket set up too. Those pockets are all together misplaced in relation to the angle of the main zip. I’m just surprised this isn’t made apparent before the jacket is cut. And it was a full price custom for the original, intended owner. No?
63ACB7C0-C15D-4055-AE55-1373FE04F7D9.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Repositioning the chest pocket and changing the main zip angle would fix the pocket set up too. Those pockets are all together misplaced in relation to the angle of the main zip. I’m just surprised this isn’t made apparent before the jacket is cut. And it was a full price custom for the original, intended owner. No?
View attachment 426817
Bingo! I didn’t think of this at all. This would be a great solution.

For new builds I’d still want the Monarch look and not this JH1 HB pocketgate jacket.

I am not sure what was communicated between the first owner and Greg on this one, and I doubt I will ever know without one of them getting thrown under the bus. I did got a deal on this so I’d wear it like any of my sale jackets. The beauty of buying second hand jackets.

Bingo! I didn’t think of this at all. This would be a great solution.

For new builds I’d still want the Monarch look and not this JH1 HB pocketgate jacket.

I am not sure what was communicated between the first owner and Greg on this one, and I doubt I will ever know without one of them getting thrown under the bus. I did got a deal on this so I’d wear it like any of my sale jackets. The beauty of buying second hand jackets.
Agreed! Still a great jacket and it fits you beautifully. This should be a learning moment for Greg though. From what I can tell he is probably the best machinist in the world. A sharper eye for design, layout really would go a long way. But I’m confused as to how such a thing is made when the cloth mock up seems to be the standard operating procedure.

dwilson

A-List Customer
I work in a typically passion-required profession (video games) and although I'm a huge video game nerd I've worked with others who are just very good at the job and don't spend all their free time playing games. You don't have to be completely immersed in something to be good at it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Exactly. When it comes to custom shirts, my tailor has a board with different collar samples, different cuff samples, different placket samples...etc. Greg runs his operation like that, but there isn't a lot of samples or "how to buy" guides. I'll take a pic of what my tailor does next time I go see him. Not rocket science, just different made up collars pined to a wood board, and I pick.

Damon141

Practically Family
Do you think a wide collar could be implemented onto a single breasted design?

I kind of hinted that I wanted a wide or spread collar design on one of my jackets when the time comes.

oskar

One of the Regulars
Yes, thats my new jacket. I am curious how I will like the side adjusters with the d pocket.

I agree with you on the different collars. Fine creek has a cool collar shape. But I think Greg will add a bit of extra details over time. Its interesting to see that someone tries something new with his jacket. Greg makes a post and another person adds that detail to his jacket. Its like his jackets are evolving :D

Damon141

Practically Family
I think you are going to love the side adjustments. It’s almost like that trim fit you get from a great half belt without the belt. Very flattering look to enhance the wearers physique.
It’s like Greg keeps improving and improving his design skills with every single jacket.

I hope Jin doesn’t mind but I’m reposting his picture that I saved because I liked it so much for my future jacket
962D8FD0-18F0-4E4E-A5D5-07033DC90373.jpeg
1AD29A50-76BC-433A-B65A-7524F8EA4D3B.jpeg

oskar

One of the Regulars
Great fit. I love that Jin is trying new things and ideas. Nothing totally crazy, but a nice variation.

I already know that the jacket will fit me very well in the waist area. So the side adjusters are just cosmetic. But I will see

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB