Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Can we get a close up photo of the collar (inside) please. Thanks! Great jacket BTW.

like this:
image01.jpg

Damon141

Practically Family
he makes beautiful collars and the most suit jacket like square sleeve ever on leather jackets looks super neat in neutral poses when the size is perfect.
He really has a signature look doesn’t he?

Between the pointed shoulders which remind me of a suit like navetsea said, I know some would rather them rounded but I’ve grown to like them and I’m sure they will round a bit with lots of wear.

Then you have the stitching, which is not only closely spaced and laser straight, also impossibly close to the seam edge, reminds me of the high end A2’s

Can’t forget that perfectly tailored silhouette

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He really has a signature look doesn’t he?

Between the pointed shoulders which remind me of a suit like navetsea said, I know some would rather them rounded but I’ve grown to like them and I’m sure they will round a bit with lots of wear.

Then you have the stitching, which is not only closely spaced and laser straight, also impossibly close to the seam edge, reminds me of the high end A2’s

Can’t forget that perfectly tailored silhouette
The problem with pointed shoulders, at least in my opinion, is that they have to fit exactly in terms of dimensions and are less forgiving of deviations up or down. The body shape should also fit. I think the shapes of a bodybuilder don't make it easier.
I am team round shoulders.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The brown Italian cowhide is absolutely beautiful. Perfect for my next FL project. Slightly darker color than the now discontinued brown pony. It has a slight pull up effect.

83D395D5-662D-46C8-B3A0-FA9C30BFF9BB.jpeg

Here it is next to the pigment dyed shinki hh

1F039DFE-DFFB-4B2B-A40F-7F55F086BC9B.jpeg

It's a bit more stretchy and less stiff than the full aniline hh (back swatch on the right)

C1A5B9B9-FC90-492D-8735-9D1715BB017C.jpeg

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
The brown Italian cowhide is absolutely beautiful. Perfect for my next FL project. Slightly darker color than the now discontinued brown pony. It has a slight pull up effect.

View attachment 480602

Here it is next to the pigment dyed shinki hh

View attachment 480603

It's a bit more stretchy and less stiff than the full aniline hh (back swatch on the right)

View attachment 480604
This is teacore…? So is Greg offering any non-teacore dyed-through brown leather…..?

FL2021

Familiar Face
I am in the process of having a jacket built with Greg as well. I originally requested an idaho in the brown shinki ponyhide but that’s not an option any more. I don’t see any brown leather options available on the field leather website, only black and blue. I told him I would be willing to pay a little extra if necessary to get something nice like Badalasi, or really nice brown shinki like Himel gets or freewheelers uses. I think that the leather used for the jacket is almost as important as the pattern and stitching. A great pattern sewed up with laser straight stitching but made with terrible leather is going to be disappointing……i think he needs to sort this out immediately if he indeed has zero brown options.
I had to ask this... "Why is there even a compromise at this level'? And why would anyone be compliant at this price point? It's really a brilliant marketing strategy. It takes effort .. which was the reason we were all drawn... So why the shift? We all know...

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
A great pattern sewed up with laser straight stitching but made with terrible leather is going to be disappointing……i think he needs to sort this out immediately if he indeed has zero brown options.
Lol have you handled their brown Italian cow? Have you handled their pigment dyed shinki? Have you handled any of their leathers?

It's really a brilliant marketing strategy.

What is a brilliant marketing strategy? (Other than himel who made you believe it's Shinki you need)

So why the shift? We all know...
We all know what?

And what is this compromise you're talking about?

Observe

Practically Family
Lol have you handled their brown Italian cow? Have you handled their pigment dyed shinki? Have you handled any of their leathers?

What is a brilliant marketing strategy? (Other than himel who made you believe it's Shinki you need)

We all know what?

And what is this compromise you're talking about?
Mystery abounds... (I have no idea what's going on)

Aloysius

I am in the process of having a jacket built with Greg as well. I originally requested an idaho in the brown shinki ponyhide but that’s not an option any more. I don’t see any brown leather options available on the field leather website, only black and blue. I told him I would be willing to pay a little extra if necessary to get something nice like Badalasi, or really nice brown shinki like Himel gets or freewheelers uses. I think that the leather used for the jacket is almost as important as the pattern and stitching. A great pattern sewed up with laser straight stitching but made with terrible leather is going to be disappointing……i think he needs to sort this out immediately if he indeed has zero brown options.

We've been talking about one of the new brown leathers for several pages now…

What makes you think that any of the leathers he's been using is terrible?

I had to ask this... "Why is there even a compromise at this level'? And why would anyone be compliant at this price point? It's really a brilliant marketing strategy. It takes effort .. which was the reason we were all drawn... So why the shift? We all know...

What is the compromise you're talking about? The sloppy fit one gets with Himel in exchange for the bragging rights (on workwear forums) for buying a Himel?

Field's stitching has always been good. The leather is still the same he offered at the start, plus a new (and high quality) option. His patterns have gotten significantly better since he started.

What, then, is the "shift"?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
But as of now, officially, according to his website he offers black and blue leather options and that is it. And if you think you are going to keep up in this day and age against the competition with that limited leather range you are nuts.
If you think that's all he offers then you should read back this thread, or check his Instagram.

91D90A8C-E7DF-41B1-A482-A3E2F582D192.jpeg
1FAE89E8-0348-47E1-BB52-30CE762A0C72.jpeg

I just want whatever he uses to be a great leather.
His brown Italian cowhide is great.

MrProper

Actually the pictures you are showing are of the brown shinki pony hide if I am mistaken? At least underneath the actual
Pictures it says #shinki ….and he says it’s shinki pony hide
It might be best to contact Greg and let him know your concerns. Then you'll get first hand info. I don't think Greg will compromise on the leather. But yes, it may not be to everyone's taste.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
This is teacore…? So is Greg offering any non-teacore dyed-through brown leather…..?

Ok so here's the now discontinued brown pony vs cow vs pigment dyed shinki hh.

The pony is dyed all the way through.The cow and pigment dyed shinki have a natural flesh side. Some people call that teacore which is a term I hate.

When I think of teacore leather I think of fast aging leather. Which might be true for the pigment dyed shinki because the topcoat scratches off relatively easily.

The pigment dyed leather shows 0 color depth, whereas the pony and cow show nice color depth with a slight pull up effect.

Reddish brown: (discontinued) pony
Walnut brown : Italian cow
Chocolate brown : pigment dyed shinki
EBD3EED7-32DA-4173-BA05-5CDE2FED5C98.jpeg
262A32B3-D9C5-4DEF-9D1C-CEDBEE7D0875.jpeg
5B240CA6-A54F-4853-924A-93C4FA99D728.jpeg
F33E8651-9FB8-41B8-9FB1-6A08507C008F.jpeg

I was put off at first when I realized the cow wasn't dyed all the way through, I though it would be similar to the pigment dyed shinki which scratches very easily, showing the yellow core. But they're quite different actually. It was a lot harder / very hard to scratch through the cow's topcoat. I think this cow leather will age beautifully with the brown fading at abrasion points instead of chipping away like the pigment dyed shinki.

I image it'll age like this Thedi cow which also has a natural flesh side. What's not to like about this!?

BD7104A2-D371-4D0F-9969-27481E987C04.jpeg
8D28C85B-304A-4EFD-8BBF-4CBA8B6248B5.jpeg
7C56122B-FA62-4BFA-A4BC-5689C2201396.jpeg

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Ok so here's the now discontinued brown pony vs cow vs pigment dyed shinki hh.

The pony is dyed all the way through.The cow and pigment dyed shinki have a natural flesh side. Some people call that teacore which is a term I hate.

When I think of teacore leather I think of fast aging leather. Which might be true for the pigment dyed shinki because the topcoat scratches off relatively easily.

The pigment dyed leather shows 0 color depth, whereas the pony and cow show nice color depth with a slight pull up effect.

Reddish brown: (discontinued) pony
Walnut brown : Italian cow
Chocolate brown : pigment dyed shinki
View attachment 480706 View attachment 480707 View attachment 480708 View attachment 480709

I was put off at first when I realized the cow wasn't dyed all the way through, I though it would be similar to the pigment dyed shinki which scratches very easily, showing the yellow core. But they're quite different actually. It was a lot harder / very hard to scratch through the cow's topcoat. I think this cow leather will age beautifully with the brown fading at abrasion points instead of chipping away like the pigment dyed shinki.

I image it'll age like this Thedi cow which also has a natural flesh side. What's not to like about this!?

View attachment 480710 View attachment 480711 View attachment 480712
Thanks Marc - that is v helpful! Reassuring that its not like the flaky pigment dyed stuff, which I am not a fan of - I think it just looks tatty as it ages - as you say, if the Italian cowhide ages like the Thedi then what's not to like?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko