Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Damon141

Practically Family
No bother! They are medium thickness Id say, not as slim as a pair of chinos but they are not heavy-duty pants, I would say it is a sweet spot
@jamie, how would you compare the weight of your new Cowhide jacket compared to a similar horsehide jacket in your collection?

I like Dockers chinos and their stretch shorts they have in a variety of colors for my Florida summers.

Contrary to the belief of many (mainly online aficionados) you don’t have to buy $300+ Japanese chinos or the other workwear oriented brands that are grossly overpriced.
A pair of Dockers look great, and you won’t be so upset when you bite into a sandwich and the sauce oozes out on your new pants.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
@jamie, how would you compare the weight of your new Cowhide jacket compared to a similar horsehide jacket in your collection?

I like Dockers chinos and their stretch shorts they have in a variety of colors for my Florida summers.

Contrary to the belief of many (mainly online aficionados) you don’t have to buy $300+ Japanese chinos or the other workwear oriented brands that are grossly overpriced.
A pair of Dockers look great, and you won’t be so upset when you bite into a sandwich and the sauce oozes out on your new pants.
Yeah, with white or ecru pants my OCD comes out in full force. I can't imagine "earning the wear" on a $300 IH white chinos. Maybe easier with a pair of $50 Dockers.

Jaime

One of the Regulars

Exactly my thoughts.

About the leather, I would say its as heavy as any of my horse jackets, in a way that it feels like you are wearing something that you can't find in H&M or anything like it, it is heavy and there is a thickness to it, same as my RMC Buco for example, even heavier, the difference with the horse I'd say is that it is much more supple, from day one it feels broken in already, it is much more flexible, I had an early 90s Shott perfecto which I believe was steerhide, it reminds me of it. It is quite oily, which makes it not only more flexible but also more mate to the eye.

And I totally agree with you, I get luxury, and I get the idea of having a pair of trousers made out of 100% whatever material it is that it is made from a single animal that was born in the 1900s and its fur was treasured by the people of the Andes because of its softness and warmth and some shit, I get it, and I get the idea of an almost perfect finishing that you can't get anywhere else (see Greg), and I can even understand having one or two of these because you understand the value of it and you want a treat, but... Unless you just don't care about money because you have all you want and more, there is a point where I couldn't justify paying more than X for a given garment, not to mention your whole wardrobe. At least for the use I would personally give it...

Damon141

Practically Family
Yeah, with white or ecru pants my OCD comes out in full force. I can't imagine "earning the wear" on a $300 IH white chinos. Maybe easier with a pair of $50 Dockers.
I’d say those white IH pants would be ruined in a week with me, I’m a magnet for stains. I would have them looking like painters pants after a day out.
And at IH prices I would cry. The only reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on their products is the prices.

If Field Leather felt like expanding, trousers and chinos, and maybe even wool sports coats seem like a possible way to train a new person before working with expensive materials like leather.
I’d buy a Scottish wool half belt from them, or maybe even a pair of Scottish tartan trousers. Some of the less bold tartan patterns I like in particular.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What do you guys do with your FL fit jackets? Can you wear them as regular canvas jacket? It comes with a zip and everything right, full functional?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If Field Leather felt like expanding, trousers and chinos, and maybe even wool sports coats seem like a possible way to train a new person before working with expensive materials like leather.
I’d buy a Scottish wool half belt from them, or maybe even a pair of Scottish tartan trousers. Some of the less bold tartan patterns I like in particular.

Tailoring and leather machining are completely different skills despite the fact that both involve sewing. None other than Ken Calder himself has said this.

There are bespoke tailors in Britain who will make you a suit or coat, in-house, for the price of a Lewis or Field jacket. Many of them visit the US so you can make an appointment.

I would not try to order one type of garment from the other.

Damon141

Practically Family
Exactly my thoughts.

About the leather, I would say its as heavy as any of my horse jackets, in a way that it feels like you are wearing something that you can't find in H&M or anything like it, it is heavy and there is a thickness to it, same as my RMC Buco for example, even heavier, the difference with the horse I'd say is that it is much more supple, from day one it feels broken in already, it is much more flexible, I had an early 90s Shott perfecto which I believe was steerhide, it reminds me of it. It is quite oily, which makes it not only more flexible but also more mate to the eye.

And I totally agree with you, I get luxury, and I get the idea of having a pair of trousers made out of 100% whatever material it is that it is made from a single animal that was born in the 1900s and its fur was treasured by the people of the Andes because of its softness and warmth and some shit, I get it, and I get the idea of an almost perfect finishing that you can't get anywhere else (see Greg), and I can even understand having one or two of these because you understand the value of it and you want a treat, but... Unless you just don't care about money because you have all you want and more, there is a point where I couldn't justify paying more than X for a given garment, not to mention your whole wardrobe. At least for the use I would personally give it...
Seeing yet another example of precision by Field Leather is always a treat. I can’t wait until I’m reviewing and posting pictures of my jackets. I have no experience doing so but I’d like to do an unboxing video or fit video. I wonder if phone video quality is sufficient.

What you said about quality, feel and thickness is exactly why I was hooked on these jackets, As a newbie to the forum and workwear leather jackets (about 1 year)
All growing up I had nothing but brand name jackets and then graduated to Schott.
I have said this before and probably say it many more times for new members and lurkers but I ordered 2 jackets from Field Leather right when I found this thread. After a terrible experience buying a used jacket from the classifieds, I said “never again”
I sold it for a substantial loss and read as much as I could on this board, asked numerous stupid questions and when I found Field Leather, I realized I could get a custom fitting jacket finely made just for me. Some people are the ideal size for off the rack, but thankfully in the day and age of convenience and maximizing profits with inferior products, their are still a handful of people trying to make the best products possible like Greg and others that you would never hear about unless you find Fedora Lounge.

These jackets are truly luxury. If I was a millionaire I would probably complement them with $600 jeans and chinos but I balance my expensive Himel Bros (and soon to be Fields Leather) jacket with moderate prices clothing (shirts, pants etc) because those items won’t likely last forever like a leather jacket will.
Tailoring and leather machining are completely different skills despite the fact that both involve sewing. None other than Ken Calder himself has said this.

There are bespoke tailors in Britain who will make you a suit or coat, in-house, for the price of a Lewis or Field jacket. Many of them visit the US so you can make an appointment.

I would not try to order one type of garment from the other.
No I totally understand, it would probably be better to recruit someone out of another leather crafting industry, luggage or something similar that deals with thick leather. Before leather jackets I have always been a fan of leather products in general and have pieces made by Frank Clegg, Bennett Winch, Tusting, and Campomaggi.
I just think it would be cool to witness the rise of a small one man company especially when you can see the writing on the wall for similar small operations which will sadly most likely disappear when the owners retire. It can’t be easy finding machinist with the level of skill.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Great looking jacket

726AB52C-313D-403F-A4FD-98D00DD188BE.jpeg

Damon141

Practically Family
Looks like this is the 3rd? One he has recently made in his size with horizontal pockets. I wonder if this will replace the original Route 66. It’s simple and timeless.

On him, in these measurements it looks identical to the RMC J100 cut, which I always considered perfect (on the people who have the body to compliment it)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I think the ones he wears in these pics are kind of pattern tests that go for sale.
Yeah I think you're right. It would just be cool to see him really break in one jacket over time. Who knows? Maybe he is actually doing that and we just aren't aware.

I understand him wearing the test patterns though. That's probably what he should be doing to you know... test them out.

Damon141

Practically Family
Black ponyhide?

Anyone know where I can find pictures of a jacket that has some wear?

Searched to no avail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch