Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
I got Brown Pony when they ran out because Greg thinks I'm a cool dude. :cool: How many times you going to bring this up? This is the virtual extent of going outside and yelling at clouds. Get over it broooooo.
E603A25E-E18A-41AD-BF91-24E6EAFAA110.jpeg

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Stunning jacket! Is the leather inside hem a standard Field feature like it is with American makers or a special option? I'm sending over a wool cloth for the lining and a leather inner hem could be a nice plus. On the other hand, with these midweight leathers, an internal kidney panel or hem can print on the outside; my Indian Ranger in Vicenza does this. It's not a big deal, but would probably be more visible with the color scheme I have in mind for my Field.

Last edited:

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Stunning jacket! Is the leather inside hem a standard Field feature like it is with American makers or a special option? I'm sending over a wool cloth for the lining and a leather inner hem could be a nice plus. On the other hand, with these midweight leathers, an internal kidney panel or hem can print on the outside; my Indian Ranger in Vicenza does this. It's not a big deal, but would probably be more visible with the color scheme I have in mind for my Field.
I'm not sure, TBH. I didn't ask for the leather hem, so perhaps it is standard?

matchankh

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone, I am currently in the process of ordering a jacket from Field Leather. I want to create a reproduction based on the Beck 666 jacket, which is similar to Greg's Route 66 model. I am trying to confirm the modifications that have been made to the default Route 66 model to make it as close to the Beck 666 as possible. Toys McCoy also makes a reproduction of the Beck 666, so I am using that model as a reference.

This is my first time attempting to reproduce a vintage jacket with a bespoke maker, so I am not familiar with all the details. As far as I understand, the following modifications should be included:

- Addition of an action back
- Addition of a panel to the lower back
- Sleeve zip moved to the back of the hand
- Asymmetrical collar with two buttons
- Removal of hand warmer pocket
- Two horizontal chest pockets with leather pulls

I have attached some pictures of the McCoy jacket for reference.

IMG_1003.jpeg

IMG_1004.jpeg
IMG_1005.jpeg
IMG_1006.jpeg

In terms of hardware, I am unsure if Greg stocks the boxy type main zipper pull and the O-ring pulls for the chest pockets. If he doesn't, I would like to know if it is possible to source these types of zipper pulls myself and send them to him.

If anyone who is familiar with the Beck 666 or Field Leather's modifications can let me know if I have missed any details, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!"

Fonzie

One Too Many
Hello everyone, I am currently in the process of ordering a jacket from Field Leather. I want to create a reproduction based on the Beck 666 jacket, which is similar to Greg's Route 66 model. I am trying to confirm the modifications that have been made to the default Route 66 model to make it as close to the Beck 666 as possible. Toys McCoy also makes a reproduction of the Beck 666, so I am using that model as a reference.

This is my first time attempting to reproduce a vintage jacket with a bespoke maker, so I am not familiar with all the details. As far as I understand, the following modifications should be included:

- Addition of an action back
- Addition of a panel to the lower back
- Sleeve zip moved to the back of the hand
- Asymmetrical collar with two buttons
- Removal of hand warmer pocket
- Two horizontal chest pockets with leather pulls

I have attached some pictures of the McCoy jacket for reference.

View attachment 503189
View attachment 503190 View attachment 503191 View attachment 503192

In terms of hardware, I am unsure if Greg stocks the boxy type main zipper pull and the O-ring pulls for the chest pockets. If he doesn't, I would like to know if it is possible to source these types of zipper pulls myself and send them to him.

If anyone who is familiar with the Beck 666 or Field Leather's modifications can let me know if I have missed any details, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!"

The McCoy jacket shown in the pic has shoulder gussets, not an action back or bi-swing back, in which the collapsible gusset goes further down the back. In case you want to specify one of them, but I’m sure Greg would let you know to be sure if your request.

Aloysius

I think you’re making way too much of the difference between the Buco and Beck designs here, and as noted above the Becks had shoulder gussets, not an action back.

Really the differences are: kidney panel instead of shoulder yoke and bottom sleeve zips instead of top sleeve zips.

Beck 666 jackets didn’t have the batwing shaped collar that’s on the Toys McCoy jacket.

DC514F16-1D5A-48C6-9282-A02E21477F2F.jpeg

Leather zipper pulls are not an actual ‘design feature’; they’re just something that repro makers will put on zippers nowadays. I like them too, but they’re just a matter of cutting a strip of leather and pulling it through the zipper pull. Would be no problem for Greg to supply them.

Likewise, things like handwarmer pockets (or none) and chest pocket angle are not locked in. That said, the Beck/Schott jacket came both with straight chest pockets and slanted ones, so don’t feel that you’re locked in to straight horizontal pockets to properly have the 666-RS look.

B987B27D-66AD-4CCB-9645-B62A853573D7.jpeg

Honestly, if you’re after a repro of the Beck 666, the most accurate one is the one by the company that made the original (and currently on a clearance sale…)

Bear in mind that the Japanese putting a certain tag on a jacket doesn’t mean it’s a repro of that brand. They’ll often buy out the name of a defunct American brand and then slap it on to a whole number of products, like how Toys McCoy has Beck-branded chain wallets or Real McCoys has Buco-branded tees.

matchankh

One of the Regulars
The McCoy jacket shown in the pic has shoulder gussets, not an action back or bi-swing back, in which the collapsible gusset goes further down the back. In case you want to specify one of them, but I’m sure Greg would let you know to be sure if your request.

I think you’re making way too much of the difference between the Buco and Beck designs here, and as noted above the Becks had shoulder gussets, not an action back.

Really the differences are: kidney panel instead of shoulder yoke and bottom sleeve zips instead of top sleeve zips.

Beck 666 jackets didn’t have the batwing shaped collar that’s on the Toys McCoy jacket.

View attachment 503201

Leather zipper pulls are not an actual ‘design feature’; they’re just something that repro makers will put on zippers nowadays. I like them too, but they’re just a matter of cutting a strip of leather and pulling it through the zipper pull. Would be no problem for Greg to supply them.

Likewise, things like handwarmer pockets (or none) and chest pocket angle are not locked in. That said, the Beck/Schott jacket came both with straight chest pockets and slanted ones, so don’t feel that you’re locked in to straight horizontal pockets to properly have the 666-RS look.

View attachment 503202

Honestly, if you’re after a repro of the Beck 666, the most accurate one is the one by the company that made the original (and currently on a clearance sale…)

Bear in mind that the Japanese putting a certain tag on a jacket doesn’t mean it’s a repro of that brand. They’ll often buy out the name of a defunct American brand and then slap it on to a whole number of products, like how Toys McCoy has Beck-branded chain wallets or Real McCoys has Buco-branded tees.

Here's and here are some pics of a Beck I owned. Most details have been mentioned already except for the French seam sleeves.

That led me to check my own 60s Schott-Beck and lo and behold! French seam sleeves. Somehow I hadn't clocked those before.

Thank you guys! The extra info is really useful. I will consolidate these details and discuss further with Greg.

TG3

One of the Regulars
I specifically asked for it on mine since I have some jackets where the bottom section of the liner is certainly showing wear. Not sure if Greg makes it standard on particular builds. Also, I don't see a print on the outside of the leather from adding this. So you should be good to go.

Aloysius

I've come full circle to liking the Field shearling jacket, especially at this price. It's a nice blend of B-3 and civilian influences. Still don't think I'd get it myself because I'd like to get an Irvin or ANJ-4 at some point and unlike regular leather I can't see myself getting that much wear out of multiple shearlings, especially since I'm supposed to move somewhere without real winters.

El Marro

I've come full circle to liking the Field shearling jacket, especially at this price. It's a nice blend of B-3 and civilian influences. Still don't think I'd get it myself because I'd like to get an Irvin or ANJ-4 at some point and unlike regular leather I can't see myself getting that much wear out of multiple shearlings, especially since I'm supposed to move somewhere without real winters.
If you are planning to stay here in the bay area for awhile I think you can safely limit yourself to one shearling (Or none for that matter). I own an Eastman B-6 and I probably wear it two or three times a winter. It’s way too warm for our climate but it’s way too nice to ever get rid of…

Aloysius

If you are planning to stay here in the bay area for awhile I think you can safely limit yourself to one shearling (Or none for that matter). I own an Eastman B-6 and I probably wear it two or three times a winter. It’s way too warm for our climate but it’s way too nice to ever get rid of…

I’ll have to bring over my Buzz Rickson’s N-3B so that we can hang out on that one cold enough day with you in your B-6 and me in the N-3B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff