Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Film Noir?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Wow...

...that's powerful, Doran. I'll never look at noir the same way again. You have also rekindled my interest in Greek tragedy. I'm going to have to give all this a lot of thought. And hey, if a book hasn't been written on this subject, there's a niche you can fill. I'm sure you're already thinking along those lines. Great post, Doran, I really enjoyed it.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you, Blackthorn.

I recommend the Robert Fagles translation of the Oresteia of Aeschylus. It's available in an inexpensive Penguin paperback edition. It's excellent.

For the other tragedies, you cannot go wrong with the Chicago University Press translations/editions. They are midcentury translations. William Arrowsmith is my favorite of the translators; David Grene, among others, also translated in that series. Wonderful.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Doran, as usual, you write thought-provoking posts. I had never looked at Film Noir that way, but know that Greek Tragedy is the basis for almost all tragic stories throughout history.

It was that old "Hubris" that got 'em.

Thanks for the input.

Hey, maybe you could write that book! I'd certainly buy it.

karol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Doran, it's funny, but I was just thinking about Greek tragedy and Noir today (I was in downtown L.A., of all places). Film Noir is closer to Greek rather than Roman tragedy since, as you know, Roman tragic figures are usually vituous and clean. Taking into consideration that I am Greek on my mother's side, no wonder I am so drawn to Noir!

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
Thank you, Blackthorn.

I recommend the Robert Fagles translation of the Oresteia of Aeschylus. It's available in an inexpensive Penguin paperback edition. It's excellent.

For the other tragedies, you cannot go wrong with the Chicago University Press translations/editions. They are midcentury translations. William Arrowsmith is my favorite of the translators; David Grene, among others, also translated in that series. Wonderful.
Thanks for the recommendations, Doran. Much appreciated.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
May I recommend a website?

I, too, suffer from a noir dependency. I rent as many as I can get, or dvr as many as I can find on the various movie channels.

One of the best podcasts in the known universe is the Out of the Past podcast, at http://www.noircast.net. Both noir films and their literary roots are discussed in great detail, with great enthusiasm, and with great affection.

RetroPat

Familiar Face
I love Film Noir. My favorite would have to be "Sunset Boulevard" which was a latter day Film Noir picture being released in 1950. There are many others I enjoy as well.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I had no idea

Wally_Hood said:
I, too, suffer from a noir dependency. I rent as many as I can get, or dvr as many as I can find on the various movie channels.

One of the best podcasts in the known universe is the Out of the Past podcast, at http://www.noircast.net. Both noir films and their literary roots are discussed in great detail, with great enthusiasm, and with great affection.
Wally, I had no idea a site like that existed. That is very, very interesting. Thanks for the heads-up! :eusa_clap

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Blackthorn,

Spread the word amongst noiristas about the website. The films discussed and the insight by messrs. Shannon and Clute are a treasure for those of us who thrive on hard luck drifters, ladies who triple cross like others change their socks, and tough mobsters who will stop at nothing to get what they want.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Yeah - I noticed that too. Gangsters are pretty prominent in a lot of true Film Noir titles, so I'm guessing people mix them up.

Feraud

Bartender
Yep. We can also note there aren't such precise timelines that divide a 30s gangster film from a 40s noir to a 50s heist flick, etc. The themes and tone of different films overlap within and outside the genre.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
You are very right, Feraud! That's what makes it so fun to watch, it's never the same cookie-cutter story.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, if Bogie is in it, its the real deal.

Feraud

Bartender
Bogey was a cool cat indeed.
Looking at the list you posted I am reminded of so many amazing films.
The Ox Bow Incident, Ace in the Hole(noir?), Out of the Past, Gilda, The Big Clock, The Woman in the Window, etc. I cannot get enough of 'em.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Alex Oviatt said:
Too many to choose from.... a couple of my favorites are Laura and DOA
(1950)

Despite the silly wolf calls at the beginning, D.O.A. is a classic! And it takes place in both S.F. and L.A.! (Well, mostly S.F.):eek:

But who here has seen Impact with Brian Donleavy? It's sort of a take on Double Indemnity and The Post Man Always Rings Twice, except that the intended victim survives and...I won't spoil it for those who now wish to give it a shot. A great line that Dunleavy spouts: "l never think of our moments together without nausea." Some don't consider it real Noir, but...I differ.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Despite the silly wolf calls at the beginning, D.O.A. is a classic! And it takes place in both S.F. and L.A.! (Well, mostly S.F.):eek:

But who here has seen Impact with Brian Donleavy? It's sort of a take on Double Indemnity and The Post Man Always Rings Twice, except that the intended victim survives and...I won't spoil it for those who now wish to give it a shot. A great line that Dunleavy spouts: "l never think of our moments together without nausea." Some don't consider it real Noir, but...I differ.

I haven't seen it, Widebrim...YET. But now you have me intrigued.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80