Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Film Noir?

klind65

One of the Regulars
I love film noir for its baleful and menacing atmosphere. We like to turn out the lights and light a bunch of candles when we watch them. Anyway, some of our favorites which I can recommend include:
1. Fallen Angel - Linda Darnell, Dana Andrews
2. The Dark Corner - Lucille Ball, Mark Stevens, Clifton Webb
3. The Woman in the Window - Joan Bennet, Edward G. Robinson
4. Dangerous Crossing - Jeanne Crain
5. Whistle Stop - George Raft, Ava Gardner
6. Nocturne - George Raft, Lynn Bari
7. The House on Telegraph Hill - Richard Baseheart
8. Angel Face - Jean Simmons, Robert Mitchum
9. He Walked by Night - Richard Baseheart
10. Behind Locked Doors - Lucille Bremer
11. I Wake Up Screaming - Betty Grable, Victor Mature
.......and of course the film which has become eponymous for Noir: "Laura" starring Gene Tierney and Clifton Webb.
Also, you may want to look at Amazon online for Noir DVD packages which may provide a good introduction. Enjoy! :)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Actually the "mistake" the protagonist makes in Detour is that he doesn't go directly to the police with the dead guy and explain what happen, how he died. By hiding the body and taking the guys place he compounds the mistake of not being truthful about the death for fear of being blamed.
It all hinges on that bad decision.

Excellent analysis, John.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
I recently saw the film, 'Rififi', for the first time. It is by far one of the greatest I've seen, of this genre. I say 'recently' but it's been over a year and I still can't forget the style of it. Brilliant!:eusa_clap

Come to think of it, wouldnt Diabolique also qualify as Film Noir? One of my favorite movies of all time!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
LisaFreemontSt said:
I recently saw the film, 'Rififi', for the first time. It is by far one of the greatest I've seen, of this genre. I say 'recently' but it's been over a year and I still can't forget the style of it. Brilliant!:eusa_clap

Come to think of it, wouldnt Diabolique also qualify as Film Noir? One of my favorite movies of all time!

Saw Rififi several years ago and was hypotized by it. It sort of created the "heist" genre. It is noir all the way, with bad characters making bad decisions and getting caught up in a rising wave of bad.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
And how can we forget the re-cut release of Touch of Evil? Saw it a couple of years ago upon its re-release. Some notables feel this film is the last true noir, with all later films in the genre departing in various ways. Then we have noir revival with neo-noir...

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Wally_Hood said:
And how can we forget the re-cut release of Touch of Evil? Saw it a couple of years ago upon its re-release. Some notables feel this film is the last true noir, with all later films in the genre departing in various ways. Then we have noir revival with neo-noir...

Love the movie. Had difficulty 'buying' the 'hispanic Heston'. LOL

Feraud

Bartender
Some have also said Odds Against Tomorrow released a year later with Harry Belafonte, Robert Ryan, Ed Begley, Shelly Winters, is the last true noir. This is a heist picture where the characters have no place to go but down. A great film!
It was directed by Robert Wise who is no stranger to noir.

Feraud

Bartender
Widebrim said:

But who here has seen Impact with Brian Donleavy? It's sort of a take on Double Indemnity and The Post Man Always Rings Twice, except that the intended victim survives and...I won't spoil it for those who now wish to give it a shot. A great line that Dunleavy spouts: "l never think of our moments together without nausea." Some don't consider it real Noir, but...I differ.

I recently watched Impact. A good film but I felt the third act was a bit weak. Without giving anything away.. when Donleavy goes back to San Fran and the tables are turned on him I had that "oh come on now!" feeling. Could he really have been put in that situation?
Am I missing something?

Some of the film noir included a strange nightmare-ish element and the turn about in Impact could be covered by that as a "SUSPEND DISBELIEF HERE" point to go along with the film. Motive and opportunity was supplied & that was enough back then I guess.

Feraud

Bartender
Not sure if this film was mentioned but has everyone seen Hollow Triumph, a.k.a. The Scar? It stars Paul Henried and Joan Bennett.
Mr.'H' and I discussed this film recently and had a good laugh over the plot twist regarding Henreid.
Are there any other fans of this movie out there?

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
The Scar is almost like a filmed Whistler or Inner Sanctum broadcast, more melodramatic with a weird twist. Henreid playing a pyschologically distrurbed creep I found odd to watch.

But, yes, it was enjoyable.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Matthew Sweet, who did a Film Noir documentary for the BBC, writes in an 8/19/09 article for The Telegraph:

"Film noir has rules: I’ve tried to elucidate them in a new BBC Four documentary, which, in the interests of being wry and laconic, is called The Rules of Film Noir. They’re rules about plot and character; about femmes fatales and doomed guys in fedora hats; about stark lighting that slices up the image into shards of black and white. And they’re rules that you don’t need to be Robert Aldrich to follow....

"It’s not so much techniques of light or a particular kind of story,” he says. “There’s something bigger behind it. You recognise a film noir very easily because it’s a cultural mood.” In troubled periods of history, Herzog argues, film noir breaks out like boils....

"Film noir was a child of war: a cinema of darkness and suspicion suited a Hollywood working under the blackout conditions and power-rationing imposed after Pearl Harbor....

"...And yet, film noir is not quiet in its coffin. Its images can be found way beyond the confines of the detective thriller...."

Here is another interesting article from Mr. Sweet wherein he lists those whom he believes influenced the genre (some may surprise like "Chuichi Nagumo [the] leader of the attack on Pearl Harbor...").

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Not sure if this film was mentioned but has everyone seen Hollow Triumph, a.k.a. The Scar? It stars Paul Henried and Joan Bennett.
Mr.'H' and I discussed this film recently and had a good laugh over the plot twist regarding Henreid.

Ah yes, what a great picture. I always new it by the title "The Scar". Strange how many movies had alternate titles back then.

And it's Joan Bennett in it. :)

What's hilarious about this movie is the protagonist's heavy accent and nobody seeming to notice this. A great little picture indeed.

:eusa_clap

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:

You should play this for the opening music alone:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnDVHLnvr88&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CnDVHLnvr88&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart