Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally able to order an Aero

Heiko

Familiar Face
My mistake Sloan, I'm obviously getting a little thin skinned where this is concerned - that was genuine exasperation.
The Himel Bros. type jacket line suggestion is a strong one. I've commented before that a more modestly priced Heron would fly.

A friend of mine has the Heron from Himel and it is very nice...whether it is worth the price, I am unsure. The materials used are supposed to be very expensive, but I am no expert.

Other than the Heron none of the jackets appeal to me though--Other than the grizzly jacket, there are just motorcycle jackets.

The thing about price though, if you are a stickler about quality then it might be worth it for the Himel. If you are more like me and aren't so obsessive then it is not. Still I think it is better to have one or two jackets that you really like than several jackets that were affordable at the time.

robrinay

One Too Many
Hey Heiko - (ref buying affordable - two above -my inexperience led me to not hitting reply with quote),
I'm with you on that, having started to put together a collection with insufficient research I have gradually upgraded - selling on lesser jackets sometimes at a loss in order to be able to afford really good ones. I told my wife yesterday that the ELC M422a I got for £150 on eBay a couple of days ago completes the collection.............hmmmm?

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
I have only ever lost money on my first jacket (an AN-J-3A that I hadn't realised was quite rare), otherwise I've generally researched carefully, bought pretty well and the jackets have appreciated making a modest (occasionally not so modest) return.
As with antiques, always buy the best you can (but not more than the budget will allow), without compromising quality if resale is in th plan.

Heiko

Familiar Face
Wait, this is new to me...some jackets have held their value and some have appreciated in value?

What jackets do this?

robrinay

One Too Many
I have only ever lost money on my first jacket (an AN-J-3A that I hadn't realised was quite rare), otherwise I've generally researched carefully, bought pretty well and the jackets have appreciated making a modest (occasionally not so modest) return.
As with antiques, always buy the best you can (but not more than the budget will allow), without compromising quality if resale is in th plan.

Good advice Dr H, I too have often bought well and at low prices on eBay - by luck or for example auctions finishing at daft times e.g. Five mins. into the start of the Olympics ceremony when practically everyone was watching it on tv, and BINs when they don't know what they've got - but my difficulty has been buying from the eBay in USA paying large shipping fees to get them to the UK and sometimes being stung by a 20% customs charge On the total of the value of the jacket and the shipping cost! and a cheeky £12.00 'handling' charge by the shippers UK agent - cheeky as IMO they were already paid to ship and handle.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Hey Heiko - (ref buying affordable - two above -my inexperience led me to not hitting reply with quote),
I'm with you on that, having started to put together a collection with insufficient research I have gradually upgraded - selling on lesser jackets sometimes at a loss in order to be able to afford really good ones. I told my wife yesterday that the ELC M422a I got for £150 on eBay a couple of days ago completes the collection.............hmmmm?

What was that one like? I saw it and thought about it, but I have one in a 42 and they're a slim fit, fine over a shirt in the summer; and it's not a winter jacket really.

I didn't think much of his description which probably put buyers off.

Edward

Bartender

You did well on that one - I was looking at it myself, but I just can't afford it right now. I live in hope of a bargain on one like that, to run up as an AVG jacket...

Heiko

Familiar Face
Desirable ones - rare, small contract, named maker, unusual hide, etc.

You must have a real deep knowledge of jackets. Impressive, I'd never think jackets could hold their value. If you don't mind what is the usual range for a vintage leather? Does it ever get crazy expensive?

robrinay

One Too Many
What was that one like? I saw it and thought about it, but I have one in a 42 and they're a slim fit, fine over a shirt in the summer; and it's not a winter jacket really.

I didn't think much of his description which probably put buyers off.

I am very pleased with it overall as it was a bargain price and the few faults are easily fixed. The leather is 'time worn' and is nice and flexible but it has wrinkles in the wrong places for my shape - a bit of a feed then some damp and wear should sort that out though. The main issue is the 'repaired lining' he mentioned in his description - in fact the sleeve linings need to be completely replaced - they have been torn then re-joined with machine stitching, so the linings are shorter than the leather sleeves. A quick fix was to bend and flex my arms - re-tearing the sleeve linings - now the sleeves work. A longer fix is to get them professionally re- lined. I emailed ELC this morning and I'm waiting for a reply. If that draws a blank then I'll buy satin and take them to my tailor. I am a 43" chest - actual and it's not as slim fitting as I'd expected, having read threads on FL, but then I'm comparing it to a 42" Aero A2.

robrinay

One Too Many
I am very pleased with it overall as it was a bargain price and the few faults are easily fixed. The leather is 'time worn' and is nice and flexible but it has wrinkles in the wrong places for my shape - a bit of a feed then some damp and wear should sort that out though. The main issue is the 'repaired lining' he mentioned in his description - in fact the sleeve linings need to be completely replaced - they have been torn then re-joined with machine stitching, so the linings are shorter than the leather sleeves. A quick fix was to bend and flex my arms - re-tearing the sleeve linings - now the sleeves work. A longer fix is to get them professionally re- lined. I emailed ELC this morning and I'm waiting for a reply. If that draws a blank then I'll buy satin and take them to my tailor. I am a 43" chest - actual and it's not as slim fitting as I'd expected, having read threads on FL, but then I'm comparing it to a 42" Aero A2.

ELC got back to me fast with a £250 costing for complete re-lining and replacement of cuffs and waist knit. I thought I'd have to save up but was lucky to find the correct lining a in 'John Lewis' store and at a reduced price so was able to buy plenty (2 metres), for £9.00 and my Tailor will replace the sleeve linings for £40 - bargain but a close call!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Not if you're ordering directly from Aero - payment on completion. I don't know how it works if you go through Insurrection.

Last edited:

chamboid

One of the Regulars
ELC got back to me fast with a £250 costing for complete re-lining and replacement of cuffs and waist knit. I thought I'd have to save up but was lucky to find the correct lining a in 'John Lewis' store and at a reduced price so was able to buy plenty (2 metres), for £9.00 and my Tailor will replace the sleeve linings for £40 - bargain but a close call!

£250 is a hell of a lot of money for some pretty rudimentary work on one of their own jackets. I had a guy in Hoxton by the name of Stan Leather do up a Willis & Geoger AN-6552 for me last year. I supplied the knits and a new zip, he re-lined the entire jacket, replaced the zip
And knits for 80 quid. Did a damn good job too.

Disappointed with the coat of that. Make sure your tailor tries to re-use the same stitch holes.
Not and easy job and most won't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner