Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finally got a size 48 A2 that fits very well without custom ordering...

Ribdoner

A-List Customer
Im keeping my eye on this thread to see pics of ur thunder bay Definitely interested in buying one soon.

GOSH DARNET, i should have placed first dibs, but, when he first scored it the pic posted looked like one from the AERO site and i think that jacket was a size 50, but, knowing Peter he probably swapped that one for the size 48 he now has.

DOG GONE IT, i really need a size 50. I think

LouisBailie

Banned
"Get there first" is softening and very flexible now, unlike the "decal" style this one will never peel apart. That is exactly why I searched and found all solid leather patchs.

After all the pre wear flexing to breakin and condition the leather in the grain of the horsehide is starting to nicely come out, also.

Just waiting for the name tag to show up, then I will decide if I want it and it will be all done.

moto_1091.jpg
moto_1092.jpg
moto_1093.jpg

LouisBailie

Banned
Good news, a very nice name tag came and the replacement RiRi solid brass full symmetrical zipper arrived this afternoon.

Now I will have an original WWII Talon zipper, that Eastman had installed, to trade once removed from the A2.

Going to try and run up and have both installed sometime tomorrow afternoon....

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
Good news, a very nice name tag came and the replacement RiRi solid brass full symmetrical zipper arrived this afternoon.

Now I will have an original WWII Talon zipper, that Eastman had installed, to trade once removed from the A2.

Going to try and run up and have both installed sometime tomorrow afternoon....

An A2 with a RiRi large gauge zipper!! What will they think up next??!!

LouisBailie

Banned
In this Eastman jacket the War horsehide leather was brittle feeling and stiff, so I and I tried the method I use on shell cordovan horsehide shoes/boots and it worked very well.

here is what I did:

I started by wiping the jacket down with both Bick-4 and applying one coat of leather honey, then letting it hang on an over sized hanger overnight and dry. Then I got out the Redecker Yak hair brushes and vigorously buffed all the leather on the jacket, panel by panel. (USE VERY GOOD QUALITY HORSE, GOAT, OR YAK HAIR BRUSHES OR THIS WILL NOT WORK)

I brushed/buffed each section until warm and then moved to the next section until I had done the entire jacket. This process made all the leather much softer and flexible. It made the colors of the leathers seem to flow very even and deepen. The leather now has a deep sheen is very much more flexible, not brittle at all. The horse hide leather in the jacket now is relaxed and will form to me much more quickly.

These are just some of the reasons I chose to wait and get a good quality horsehide jacket, because one is able to get very good results softening/breaking it in in a very quick period. Plus this "conditioning" does nothing but enhance the look of the leather in the process.

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
The leather was brittle? Is the jacket old or new? If the jacket is old, fair enough. If the jacket is new then it sounds bent as a three bob note.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
The leather was brittle? Is the jacket old or new? If the jacket is old, fair enough. If the jacket is new then it sounds bent as a three bob note.

I tried on a couple of Eastman A-2 jackets a few years ago at Duxford, and I think I know what he means - the leather felt brittle. I can't think of a better word for how it felt. In the world of high-cost leather jackets my experience is limited to Aero front-quarter horse and thick steer. I don't know how thinner hides start out as new...or how to describe it.

Off-topic: I don't get how hides can feel 'butter soft' - your finger would go right through. And that's a whole nuther story...:eeek:

LouisBailie

Banned
Just went over the A2 again with the "brushing" and it does an amazing job of softening and bringing out the sheen of the leather.

I have decided to try and "brush treat" the horsehide on my ELC ANJ4 also. The wind flap, cuffs, and pockets are also very stiff and "crinkle" and seem brittle when the leather bend and flexes. Treating those areas today and will brush away tomorrow morning.

I buffed/brushed the A2 leather for a couple of hours this afternoon, (because a wreck closed down 95 both ways). The process works 100%. This method heats and moves the oils in the leather enough to make it real real soft, smooth feeling, and super flexible.

The term "butter soft" is like a feeling a puppies tummy, or a babies skin, very soft, flexible, and expandable.

After all this buffing the jacket is now a real pleasure to wear. It is like a soft cotton jacket over me and has much more room.

Prior to the buffing, it was tight with just a tshirt. now I have a tshirt and full long sleeve shirt and it is very comfortable. The leather has much more flex and give making very nice.

The people at the bank I use are always amazed at what I show up wearing, when I come in. Even the mgr came out of his office and over to see and feel the leather in this A2....

It was well worth the effort to buff/brush it.....I will now be doing it to all my HH and steerhide jackets and even trying it on the new ANJ3 goatskin.

Last edited:

LouisBailie

Banned
I got both my jackets back from Aero repair, the Thunderbay and the ANJ3 with the split seam. Total cost was $200US including shipping both ways. Shipping for 1 jacket each way is normally $65 so I figure that charge was more than fair.

Both came back with Talon full symmetrical solid brass zippers, Thunderbay waist and lining repaired, Anj3 had the lower panel seam repaired after splitting.

Aero had never seen they way i "treat " jackets for shipping and just about had a heart attack when they got there. I explained how I treat the leather and use powder to prevent the jackets leather from any rubbing damage during transit. They just did the repairs and returned them to me.

Both arrived with only one small area damaged, easily repaired and already done, so the tratment worked very well. It took about 5 weeks total to get everything done and returned. I am wearing the ANJ3 in pics and when I buffed the Thunder bay. It is much more flexible and comfortable after I "buffed" it also.

I immediately started buffing the Thunderbays' horsehide and that process works 100%. It took about 1 hour buffing to get the leather in the sleeves to become like very well broken HH, I am doing it to the entire jacket..

This the easiest process to making a new Aero or any heavy HH jacket much more comfortable.

moto_1098.jpg
moto_1100.jpg
moto_1099.jpg

Here are the formerly very stiff Aero Thunderbay sleeves rolling on themselves and hanging by their own weight

moto_1095.jpg
moto_1096.jpg
moto_1097.jpg

All this done just by brushing the leather with a yak hair German made Redecker shoe brush and no where else is this process described and shown, that I could find anywhere...

Last edited:

pawineguy

One Too Many
I got both my jackets back from Aero repair, the Thunderbay and the ANJ3 with the split seam. Total cost was $200US including shipping both ways. Shipping for 1 jacket each way is normally $65 so I figure that charge was more than fair.

Both came back with Talon full symmetrical solid brass zippers, Thunderbay waist and lining repaired, Anj3 had the lower panel seam repaired after splitting.

Aero had never seen they way i "treat " jackets for shipping and just about had a heart attack when they got there. I explained how I treat the leather and use powder to prevent the jackets leather from any rubbing damage during transit. They just did the repairs and returned them to me.

Both arrived with only one small area damaged, easily repaired and already done, so the tratment worked very well. It took about 5 weeks total to get everything done and returned. I am wearing the ANJ3 in pics and when I buffed the Thunder bay. It is much more flexible and comfortable after I "buffed" it also.

I immediately started buffing the Thunderbays' horsehide and that process works 100%. It took about 1 hour buffing to get the leather in the sleeves to become like very well broken HH, I am doing it to the entire jacket..

This the easiest process to making a new Aero or any heavy HH jacket much more comfortable.

Here are the formerly very stiff Aero Thunderbay sleeves rolling on themselves and hanging by their own weight

All this done just by brushing the leather with a yak hair German made Redecker shoe brush and no where else is this process described and shown, that I could find anywhere...

Hold on just a minute! Those were supposed to be Riri Zips. Who made the decision to substitute Talon symmetrical brass zips? Are you furious?

Otter

One Too Many
I'm going to brush down the little woman tonight to see if she becomes more pliable as well.
No pics.

Awww! Spoilsort.

To be fair I had a lot of RiRi zips in the '80s & '90s when I used a lot of Rogan clothing and I never had one fail on me. I stopped wearing Rohan when Paul Howcroft died and the company was sold. They started using YKK and cheapened a lot of the designs so I stopped buying them. Doesn't guarantee the quality of the zips now though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats