Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Seems super sketchy yeah.
This also makes me realize that I have a lot to learn and understand until I come to I point where I think paying so much (relatively) for a jacket in such poor shape is reasonable.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Leather label Herc, worn with low rise jeans.
^^^^^ PRIME EXAMPLE ^^^^^^^ This is what I was sayin...................
This back length is what I have experienced with Hercs. I know there are shorties out there too but these better sized jackets are out there. In the last 2 weeks I've picked up 3 very old jackets---two half belts both in the 42-44 range and both have backs in the 25-26" range and an A-2 that even comes in at 25". Ya just gotta be religious about getting that back length measurement from Sellers. Patient ones will work with you. On both of the HBs I recently snagged, I went back and forth with the Sellers and in BOTH cases at least one key measurement was off and corrected by me having them remeasure properly. Of course, as I reported earlier this week, I have also had my share of Sellers basically tell me to go pound sand because apparently, my measurement requests are too daunting to attempt.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Seller has some nice looking jackets and good feedback on eBay... apart from the crazy price for members, is there more to the story?
I'm eyeing the Fidelity IR.
The seller sent me a DM after I commented on his $1850 asking price.

IMG_5012.jpeg
IMG_5013.jpeg

Still no measurements in the eBay listing.

This back length is what I have experienced with Hercs. I know there are shorties out there too but these better sized jackets are out there. In the last 2 weeks I've picked up 3 very old jackets---two half belts both in the 42-44 range and both have backs in the 25-26" range and an A-2 that even comes in at 25". Ya just gotta be religious about getting that back length measurement from Sellers. Patient ones will work with you. On both of the HBs I recently snagged, I went back and forth with the Sellers and in BOTH cases at least one key measurement was off and corrected by me having them remeasure properly. Of course, as I reported earlier this week, I have also had my share of Sellers basically tell me to go pound sand because apparently, my measurement requests are too daunting to attempt.
I must just have bad luck.
IMG_8445.jpeg
IMG_8596.jpeg

Olé!
Actual photo of me trying on old Halfbelt:
IMG_7657.jpeg

I’m hating on vintage I know. But the stuff is 99% short as balls. Problem is a lot of repro then counters going too long. If and when Reg finishes my Herc repro that’ll be it for me. The Durable really soured me to vintage crust for the last time.

^^
Vintage CHP jackets have those "beaver tail" kidney supports that alleviate the shortness somewhat.
They do and it works but they also keep the front short, which makes perfect sense for an m/c jacket which is designed to be worn zipped and seated. The rub is that true vintage is ALWAYS cooler. It just is. Not even debatable really, but for me it ALWAYS requires a sacrifice in fit (almost always anyway). And ripping that Durable apart like construction paper was the nail in the coffin.

jeo

One Too Many

As shown in recent posts there are longer and shorter style HBs.

I always think of a HB as a very short style, even in the larger sizes, typically not exceeding 24” but that most certainly is not a rule.

The longer ones are definitely out there. The same seller has a longer style HB with 18” shoulders, a 26” back length and roughly 25” sleeve

IMG_1799.jpeg
IMG_1795.jpeg
IMG_1794.jpeg
IMG_1797.jpeg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I’ll be honest. In 20 years I’ve found only 3 “short styles” that even remotely hit the mark.
This Kurland:
View attachment 530720
Westbury:
View attachment 530719
Campus:
View attachment 530718
The surcoat style is much more my jam. The fact that I even tried to sell the Windward is just insane, as it’s the only vintage jacket I’ve ever owned that actually really fit. I’ll stick with 25” or more and leave the brave to fend the bulls. In the past two years I’ve seen more 23” back and sleeves than I care to count! I’ve also firmly decided this just ain’t it:
View attachment 530722 View attachment 530723 View attachment 530724 View attachment 530725
I’m bidding a fond farewell to vintage…..until I inevitably change my mind next year.
I agree with your assessment completely, Tony.
Your images demonstrate perfectly the vintage half belt conundrum.
I’ve noticed here over the years here that it seems the taller one is the less apt to find that “good look” in vintage half belts. Shorter people tend to have better luck then taller or longer torso’d folks.
Then there is the placement of the half belt itself in relation to the torso length. Total came changer. High rise low rise trousers, such a fickle, folk to folk.
Just my observations.
B

Last edited:

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@ton312 's loss is my gain. Overall, vintage jackets do tend to be shorter which is working out wonderfully for me. I can even buy jackets that are verging on being too large and they're still not too long for me which I quite enjoy.

As @jeo mentioned, there are longer vintage half belts out there, but I see more short vintage jackets than long ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic