Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Monitor, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Captain Sensible

Captain Sensible A-List Customer

Regular sleeves, I would be keeping this if I didn’t have an excess of truckers.

cheers

2. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

3. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man One Too Many

DeDiedro artwok ? As the young 'uns say . ''yeah...but nah.."

Now this IS back artwork on a Brando style crosszip jacket. Jacket is Walden Miller of South Australia heavy steerhide. Promo jacket from a movie release.
    "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" , Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro.

This is one of my collection , size 46 "Australian"

Walden Miller Brando Custom rear.JPG

4. Carlos840

Carlos840 My Mail is Forwarded Here

We can't stop here. This is bat country!

Jrolfe, Herman F. and Downunder G Man like this.
  5. Leather Walker

Leather Walker One of the Regulars

Maybe @ksozay could tell ;)

6. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Mrfrown and Carlos840 like this.
  7. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Jacket artwork should be its own thread, :)

8. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

While most Cals have belt loops that snap from the bottom up, it isn’t always the case. But the stitching on the reinforced bottom hem looks different from all the Cals I’ve owned. As do the two seams along the back of the arm that originate from the back yoke (underarm footballs are not common as far as I know on Cals). It could be a modified or custom Cal I guess. What are the pockets lined with and are they marked in any way? Cuffs lined? More pics would help- One with the mouton collar removed. Nice jacket either way. The best option would be to email Gwen at Cal. She can set us all straight.

Kubatu and Leather Walker like this.
  9. Mrfrown

Mrfrown Practically Family

Corky Corcovado and dannyk like this.
  10. technovox

technovox One Too Many

Some good points. I'm thinking it probably is not a Cal Leather. The waistband on this jacket looks very different than the Cals I own. All my Cal Leathers have just 4 rows of stitching, with middle lines of stitching closer together in the kidney belt portion of the jacket. And the kidney portion on the back of the jacket doesn't dip as far down on my Cals. But again, the best person to ask is Gwen at Cal Leather.

cal.jpg

JMax likes this.
  11. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

That leather looks amazing.

I wore my 50s Cal today. The smell is intoxicating.

12. Kubatu

Kubatu One of the Regulars

Thanks for all the information, guys. I sent an email to Cal Leather and asked for their perspective. The jacket not being Cal would not be a dealbreaker, though it's always good to know more information. I've asked the seller about pocket lining material and if there is shearling liner around the sleeves, but our conversations move very slowly.

I see JMax mentioned it could be modified / custom, but if there's that many differences (stitching, snaps, underarm footballs, general length differences), I wonder if it could be a different brand entirely. Any idea what other brands made jackets in that similar style, or are there too many to count?

13. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Too many to count. I would focus on finding a photo of a jacket with that bottom hem stitch pattern and shape. I could swear I’ve seen it before. Golden Bear, Just Leather, that “tier” of west coast maker.

14. JoeNiblick

JoeNiblick One of the Regulars

You know, I think I'm just not a gambling man. I keep seeing these great deals on eBay (there are several Aeros listed in Japan right now), but I don't trust sellers' measurements. I think my proportions fit fairly well into standard sizing, and a lot of the Aeros seem to have custom sleeve lengths that are either too short or too long. I'm also just not a fan other wearing someone else's clothes--And I worry about an odor in the lining. It's a shame, though, because I'd love to save a buck AND have a little of the breaking in done for me.

15. TheOldFashioned

TheOldFashioned One Too Many

robrinay and Jumper like this.
  16. Robbie79

Robbie79 One Too Many

I still don't know why most Aero fans either like their heavy CXL or mid-weight Vicenza HH (perhaps also battered tan HH) whereas their mid-weight Jerky HH is IMO much nicer than Vicenza (lots of grain, don't needs a lot of break-in, semi-supple right out of the box, etc.). You hardly see any Aero jackets made of this beautiful HH - IMO it's a pity. Unfortunately I had to sell my too large black Aeromarine (from their Sale page) a while ago. Here's a Premier Half Belt from their Sale Page which is slightly mismatched...I can't recognize it...
    http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=4946

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Jumper

Jumper One of the Regulars

Looks like the right back panel is the mismatched piece... Is there any way of knowing how / when / which mismatched-grain jackets will "even out" with wear over time?

18. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

They call that a 38 with 16.25in shoulders :eek:

19. jacketjunkie

jacketjunkie One Too Many

Their new pattern appear to be targeted at the japanese market. That new halfbelt, the Everydayman or w/e it is called, has like 16" shoulders in a size 40. Super odd.

20. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

TheGuitarFairy likes this.