Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Coriu

One Too Many
What is it about any leather jacket that makes it desirable?

It's Vanson so quality, durability and great fit is pretty much guaranteed & certainly worth the $, with the additional bonus of it being a very good looking, true & honest cafe racer style.
Another arguably important aspect is that this is a very early, white label Vanson, something that only fans of Vanson will value but regardless, a small thing that only adds to the value of this piece.

a leather jacket can reach. I'd personally assess it as being just about perfect in every way and I'd wager most of the forum agrees with me.

I personally don't understand what is it about this jacket that you find to be in an even remotely rough or undesirable state? As @mendelboaz pointed out, other than creases in the leather (desirable trait because nobody likes that new leather jacket look) and those few surface scuffs, the jacket seems to be in a fantastic condition with no apparent damage anywhere on it.

And I even love the color!
Thanks for your response. There is an element of perfectionism in this hobby, ie pursuit of the perfect fit, pursuit of the end-game jacket, etc, etc. Some even dream about the perfect leather jacket.:)

Some on TFL seem to favor new jackets for their acquisitions. And it seems most people, when they post photos of themselves, are wearing jackets that are in superb condition, not scuffed up. Some members swoon over high-end Japanese jackets while others seem to like the vintage stuff.

So, there seems to be this interesting dichotomy. I've been collecting a certain commodity for 45 years. I often have to remind myself what it is like to look at things through the eyes of someone new to a certain collecting hobby. We learn by asking lots of "why" questions.

Coriu

One Too Many
Are you referring to creases on the sleeves? These are super-desirable as they have been formed by use of the jacket. The creases you don't want are formed when the jacket was scrunched inside a bale of used clothing for a long time and under high pressure. These never come out and are highly undesirable. I don't see any such creases in that Vanson.

Yes, I was referring to the creases in the sleeves. I find them to be perfectly natural and cool, but was curious if a certain amount is considered "too much" by some. I've seen some comments about creases elsewhere that had me a bit unclear.

marker2037

Practically Family
I think most of us here will agree that creases, scuffs, wear, patina, etc. all look cool and is what we want in a good jacket provided that what we see is natural looking, even if it may not be.

For me, the "too much" happens with artificial weathering that looks unnatural as well as destroyed/not salvagable liners on vintage jackets. I usually draw the line there.

dwilson

A-List Customer
I can kind of see where @Coriu is coming from on this one. I would personally not buy a jacket in a super distressed state. I like petina, scars, scuffs and creases but I want them to tell my story with the jacket not someone else's.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Jackets that look worn out to 99% of non - leather jacket enthousiasts are actually the best buys. People cannot see past a little surface wear and think some jacket is old and worn out while it's actually in excellent condition.

Here's a recent example.

Ebay listing:

View attachment 340140

After some tlc

View attachment 340141

View attachment 340144 View attachment 340143

That was a GREAT pick up Marc. It was a tad too small for me but the look is rare and obviously its a true vintage jacket--so I kept it on watch knowing it would never fit me. The pockets are unique and it looks like it took some conditioner well. Glad someone in the Lounge got it. Real nice fit for you too. A super cool vintage jacket man. You won't run into ANYONE on the street wearing one of those!!!!

dwilson

A-List Customer
There is a point where a jacket “transcends” IMHO. This is when the marks and scars tell their own unknown stories. Many owners (myself too) have worn it, and it has become a piece of history. I have one such jacket.

Yep I 150% understand where you're coming from on this one. Its where you take the view more on the garment's history than your own personal history with it.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Thanks for your response. There is an element of perfectionism in this hobby, ie pursuit of the perfect fit, pursuit of the end-game jacket, etc, etc. Some even dream about the perfect leather jacket.:)

Some on TFL seem to favor new jackets for their acquisitions. And it seems most people, when they post photos of themselves, are wearing jackets that are in superb condition, not scuffed up. Some members swoon over high-end Japanese jackets while others seem to like the vintage stuff.

So, there seems to be this interesting dichotomy. I've been collecting a certain commodity for 45 years. I often have to remind myself what it is like to look at things through the eyes of someone new to a certain collecting hobby. We learn by asking lots of "why" questions.

You make a good point that most of us seem to sorta not say too much about. Its true that some of us prefer new jackets and some of us prefer Vintage and some have an affinity for both. I can only speak for myself in saying that I collect mainly Vintage jackets. I personally don't live in a climate where I can even wear these jackets very much at all to be honest. I like just old stuff. Anyone with can buy NEW. But you have to really hunt for the OLD---OR pay the RIDICULOUS RESERVE price someone has dreamed up for a nice old find. In the great majority of cases, Vintage jackets are going to show wear. Sometimes to the extreme of some people's taste but that goes with the territory. I really enjoy rehabbing a jacket if its within my power to effectively do so. A tailor, I am not. Repairs that require a tailor I need to send out and likewise, really filthy jackets and jacket liners should be professionally cleaned.

The one thing about buying a new or gently used high end repro or custom jacket (Aero, Eastman, LW, FL, GW, DS) vs. buying Vintage, the newer jacket will always have the upfront cost as the purchase price is generally MUCH higher than most vintage jackets. But you tend to need to spend a little or a lot post purchase to bring the vintage piece to a desirably wearable condition vs. the newer jacket that likely is very clean. Cleaning and conditioning the leather can be done at home but the liners really should be professionally cleaned. Professional Leather Garment cleaning isn't cheap. I mean, not at the volume I would be looking at anyway.

It takes time to clean and condition yourself because you want to use natural drying time between cleaning and conditioning. So personally, being that my jacket buying has drastically exceeded my available time to clean and condition, I have a HUGE waiting room full of jackets waiting their turn.

Back to the point though, Patina is in the eye of the beholder. These old jackets may have been the only jacket a man had to rely on in all weather for decades. Some see a beautiful broken in leather jacket with character and aging a casual wearer could never achieve. Some see a beat up, used, dirty jacket. And this second group is who I prefer to buy from;).

Creases, patina, fading and at the very end, scuffs at just the right places is what this forum is all about. Since TFL is primarily about 50's fashion, when it first started out, cool repros practically didn't exist so vintage pieces was all people had. And most vintage leather jackets look like the Vanson I posted.

But it's more than that. While there are of course guys here who want their clothes to look new, many people who got into heritage fashion, fell in love with it because of that specific effortlessly cool look that only a vintage, worn out leather jacket can provide. That's something you can't fake and also something which takes a too long of a time to reach so why bother with wearing your jacket for a few decades to get it to look the way you want to when there are so many options out there. . .

Making the jacket your own sounds fun and all but in reality, we've got so many options that I don't think anyone who truly loves clothes, or indeed fashion, is going to wait. Because otherwise, we wouldn't be here.

Cool Schott on Grailed.

https://www.grailed.com/listings/21...ott-vintage-schott-leather-jacket-made-in-usa

xDtlOV9dTL6rbRXWENTa

Moontanning

One of the Regulars
A bit of an unknown jacket. Size Medium. Seller said it’s made by a “non-famous maker”. Maybe it’s junk, maybe it’s a bargain. Advertised as horsehide and it looks pretty nice, particularly for such a low price. Too small for me but maybe it will be worth a shot for someone. $70 starting bid and seller accepting offers.

View attachment 340208

https://www.ebay.com/itm/men-horse-learher-jacket-/144066607366?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

It looks great!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
A bit of an unknown jacket. Size Medium. Seller said it’s made by a “non-famous maker”. Maybe it’s junk, maybe it’s a bargain. Advertised as horsehide and it looks pretty nice, particularly for such a low price. Too small for me but maybe it will be worth a shot for someone. $70 starting bid and seller accepting offers.

View attachment 340208

https://www.ebay.com/itm/men-horse-learher-jacket-/144066607366?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286
My eye sight is starting to go, but if you can make out "Union" on the buttons, then that's one of those higher end Japanese/Chinese repros. They usually go for like $300-500 range. So not a bad price to pick one up and test out the overall value.

Jumper

A-List Customer

View attachment 340208

Buttons read "Union Made." There's writing on the label, but I can't make it out at all. Maybe "Union Made," maybe not. Could be one of those Chinese jackets all over Ali, going for a few hundred bucks. Whatever it is, $70 or so seems like a steal if it stays around there. But take another inch off the p2p for it being unbuttoned.

Moontanning

One of the Regulars
Buttons read "Union Made." There's writing on the label, but I can't make it out at all. Maybe "Union Made," maybe not. Could be one of those Chinese jackets all over Ali, going for a few hundred bucks. Whatever it is, $70 or so seems like a steal if it stays around there. But take another inch off the p2p for it being unbuttoned.

My impression from the seller’s response was that they’d accept less than $70. Certainly worth a try. Measurements are in the pics, although the measuring stick used might not be aligned optimally. Looks like a P2P around 19-20”.

Jumper

A-List Customer
My impression from the seller’s response was that they’d accept less than $70. Certainly worth a try. Measurements are in the pics, although the measuring stick used might not be aligned optimally. Looks like a P2P around 19-20”.
Not quite aligned with the left edge, and also the jacket's unbuttoned and "ajar" about 3/4 of an inch. I'd guesstimate the p2p could be as little as 18.5". Hard to tell, though; it may not be flat, maybe there's excess folded underneath, etc. Seventy bucks. Jeez. Whoever gets this, please review.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Creases, patina, fading and at the very end, scuffs at just the right places is what this forum is all about. Since TFL is primarily about 50's fashion, when it first started out, cool repros practically didn't exist so vintage pieces was all people had. And most vintage leather jackets look like the Vanson I posted.

But it's more than that. While there are of course guys here who want their clothes to look new, many people who got into heritage fashion, fell in love with it because of that specific effortlessly cool look that only a vintage, worn out leather jacket can provide. That's something you can't fake and also something which takes a too long of a time to reach so why bother with wearing your jacket for a few decades to get it to look the way you want to when there are so many options out there. . .

Making the jacket your own sounds fun and all but in reality, we've got so many options that I don't think anyone who truly loves clothes, or indeed fashion, is going to wait. Because otherwise, we wouldn't be here.

Very Very Very well put brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner