Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Coriu

One Too Many
Thanks for some generous thoughts on the issue. Good to be reminded of this sort of thing. I find myself looking down at jacket makers and bemoaning lack of quality, which is fair, but I should also keep in mind that sometimes just selling more product is what's needed to keep a business from going under. The thought is probably, We'll get back to what we were doing before, as soon as we know we're not going bankrupt. Then maybe they're able to and maybe they're not. For some businesses it's not always simply a matter of not caring about quality, but rather simple survival.

Spot on. A friend of mine has owned a small plant nursery for the past 50 years. He started out catering to connoisseurs of ultra-rare plants and sold hundreds of different varieties. Over time, his available offerings became fewer and now he only offers a very limited variety of boring plants he produces in large numbers. Many plant collectors accused him of "selling out" and "going commercial." He actually hated his business model because he was a true collector at heart, but he did what he had to do to survive. I think this is the story of many "boutique" small businesses, especially those who sell relatively expensive products.

There are only so many crazy collectors and/or people with enough disposable income to purchase a $1000 jacket. Many young people are turning away from leather. The leather industry has been reeling. The cost of cowhides was so low last year that I heard some processors were considering landfilling them. And many people today don't think of lifetime products. They expect to throw something away and buy new in a few years. These issues will continue to force small businesses to adjust their business models. For instance, as we move further away from the war years, I think some of these niche, repro jacket makers are going to have a difficult time staying afloat.

Last edited:

Bahabp100

Practically Family
Find, really but it's cool. Lots of love went into this jacket. Wouldn't want to wear it, myself. Perfect piece to hang on a store wall. @Edward , you may find it cool!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-...-JACKET-SIZE-M-BADGES-ACE-PATINA/193895670564

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
I wouldn’t want to walk through the airport metal detector wearing this especially the crossed bullets

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, nice little jacket (the one on etsy). Great shape if indeed from 1940's, which I doubt. Weren't tear drop pulls from the 60s?

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
^^
Yeah, and the etsy seller says it will be a while to get the jacket shipped, so maybe some kind of arbitrage? Anyway, for $168 etsy price it is a nice jacket (looks like horse), and I would get it if I did not have a x-zip already. I cannot resist these cheap and cheerful jackets, lol.

Reactions: Zoo

Mrfrown

One Too Many
@Coriu really interesting discussion

Seems like ultra niche, at moderate cost, very limited offering could be a method- a la Ship John.

The question remains what would be your flagship item? If you got it call up the Shark Tank! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ