Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Bluechel

Practically Family
Yes, black and gold is earlier. I’m no Branded historian mind you. Just that I really like this hide. It’s like CW. So I investigate when I see the label.

Here is the black leather branded label with the little label stating orchard M/C.
View attachment 447969

Not all had the orchard label. Different hide, much more supple for one thing, and the only one I dig is the hide with the red undertone. Lots of examples of these hides on TFL

That’s all I got. All are great jackets for the price, it’s just that my preference in hide usually leads me to the early label jackets.
So are we saying Orchard label is a better hide?

So are we saying Orchard label is a better hide?

I just like the black gold label hide better. Not better or worse. It’s the Branded I just posted.

The black leather label (sometimes w/ the orchard sub-label) on the hide with the red undertones also is awesome.

All just my opinion.

Cool Lee Trevor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2245897025...CJi9omFSVa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

3C77BE8A-7028-4BFA-BC95-D0DCA785389B.jpeg

Bluechel

Practically Family
I just like the black gold label hide better. Not better or worse. It’s the Branded I just posted.

The black leather label (sometimes w/ the orchard sub-label) on the hide with the red undertones also is awesome.

All just my opinion.
Ah, there it is, didn't have my coffee yet!

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Orchard did have labels. Several in fact. Remember, Orchard was an official military contracted company. If my memory serves me correctly, on the black label jackets you can see an orchard name by the Made in America label. I will share some images if I can. I will go to my containers to locate some of my BG jackets/vest or chaps.

I went and looked at the jackets I have that are Branded/Orchard and none of them have Branded labels. One has a label that says PH YUBA CITY on it....... I recall that I went looking all around to find the maker of this jacket with the PH...... I contacted several makers and those that responded said that it was not their product.

I don't remember why or how but I stumbled upon Branded so I fired off the same email with the jacket pics to them and within an hour I got a brief response from the owner --- I cannot find the email but I THINK his name was Paul Fargus???? Something like that......

Anyway, he said that they made a lot of unlabeled jackets and jackets with generic leather type of labels for retailers --- mostly independent motorcycle shops--- and that the jacket in question was made for a shop in Yuba City, CA called Purple Hogs--hence the P.H. Yuba CIty label.

I never knew Orchard had any kind of military contracts. For which period would this be? It seems a more modern company that would not have been around during war time but obviously, the military contracts with companies during times of peace also. If they did, I would assume these contracts were post Vietnam war.

There is not a clear history of the company or of its evolution. Honestly, I think their marketing was sorely lacking because their product was good enough. I think it is part of the reason they are not around anymore.

I never could even read that the leather labels had Orchard MC down in the fine print. And I have never seen one with the Flag Tag and the Orchard MC on it til I saw @JMax post his. Then I went hunting for them and I have found a few including a current eBay listing. But none of these labels really look very old at all. These jackets must be 80s-90s or so. These flag labels I am seeing just seem to be more recent vintage. I'm seeing the flag label is stitched on top of the leather label but the leather itself is blank/unembossed under the label. Maybe the ones I am seeing are just in very good unworn condition so they look newish.

Here is an example of what I am seeing for the Orchard MC Label only. It seems like they evolved into the leather embossed label after doing the flag label only. Maybe they did BOTH for awhile like @JMax has then just went with the embossed leather alone. Just guessing here.

1661964694551.png

@photo2u -- It would be interesting if you could post some pics of your Branded labels when you can get to them.

What is weird and related to the marketing angle is that either they made women's garments too, or they picked a name that is too common in using Orchard. There is something about that name referring to the location because other companies use Orchard. Its like Oxford Street in London......... but perhaps more of a production area like the LA Garment district. I am grasping at pieces of what I recall on this. Here is another label used in women's clothes
1661965049941.png

Once everyone is using a name, it loses its marketability as a unique brand. Or perhaps they produced a lot of different garments for different markets over the years to stay afloat and this IS also their label???

I'm sure we can dig up more info on this...........

Schambach

Practically Family
Orchard street in the lower east side of NYC was kind of a bargain district for clothes, and definitely for leather jackets. Not sure if that's where the name came from, but it's certainly possible.

Jumper

A-List Customer
Decent Cooper G-1, sz 42, in goat; $62 plus $8 shipping, with offer option

m_630e5327046d7482b1f3f8d0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112