Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

MotionDesign

One of the Regulars
I apologize for spamming this thread, but I wanted to update you on my experience with purchasing the Taubers jacket from Ametora.

The jacket is fantastic and fits surprisingly well, with the dimensions of 25" PtoP and 25" length being quite accurate. Shipping was complimentary and swift. My only critiques are the unmentioned cut in the back panel and the damaged zipper insertion pin. However, I'm looking forward to turning these issues into a fun repair project. A big thank you to @Batoidea for sharing this find and deal. If we ever meet, I owe you a chalice of fine beer.

IMG_1489.jpg
IMG_1490.jpg
IMG_1503 copy.jpg
IMG_1506.jpg
IMG_1509.jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I apologize for spamming this thread, but I wanted to update you on my experience with purchasing the Taubers jacket from Ametora.

The jacket is fantastic and fits surprisingly well, with the dimensions of 25" PtoP and 25" length being quite accurate. Shipping was complimentary and swift. My only critiques are the unmentioned cut in the back panel and the damaged zipper insertion pin. However, I'm looking forward to turning these issues into a fun repair project. A big thank you to @Batoidea for sharing this find and deal. If we ever meet, I owe you a chalice of fine beer.

View attachment 604698 View attachment 604699 View attachment 604700 View attachment 604701 View attachment 604702
This jacket is soooo awesome. The cut, because it is sharp, will be easy to repair, almost invisible. The most robust way would be glue the "lips" of the cut together, and then get under the lining and glue a patch of leather on the other side. Rubber cement works well. It may hold without the back patch if in no-stress area. The insertion pin will be a bit trickier; @Leather Walker has good experience fixing those.

PS - a bit of a bad look on Ametora not mentioning the zipper (the cut they may have missed). I'd nicely ask for a few bucks back, since you like the jacket.

MotionDesign

One of the Regulars
This jacket is soooo awesome. The cut, because it is sharp, will be easy to repair, almost invisible. The most robust way would be glue the "lips" of the cut together, and then get under the lining and glue a patch of leather on the other side. Rubber cement works well. It may hold without the back patch if in no-stress area. The insertion pin will be a bit trickier; @Leather Walker has good experience fixing those.

PS - a bit of a bad look on Ametora not mentioning the zipper (the cut they may have missed). I'd nicely ask for a few bucks back, since you like the jacket.
Thank you Will! I'll look at the past threads for some guidance.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Will! I'll look at the past threads for some guidance.

I just realized I was giving advice to the Leather Alchemy thread OP!!!

LOL, you won't have trouble fixing the cut; keep us apprised on that and the zipper. The tape failure is all too common, but there are no easy solutions.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Spiegel, $450/offer

I just got $275 offer from the seller. He will probably take $250.

For $250, a Spiegel is a screaming deal.

One of the best vintage jackets out there.

Last edited:

photo2u

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 604698 View attachment 604699 View attachment 604700 View attachment 604701 View attachment 604702

Your zipper can be repair. There is a good write up on the subject here. I will try that route first before thinking in a replacement.

Al 916

One Too Many
Al's Leather with padded elbows and shoulders, despite seller says this is a Cal. Very nice condition. $495 eBay

s-l1200.webp

Al's without the eps;

My one is a fun jacket. The fit is 'quirky' but perfect (crossed my mind too).
The hide on mine is also quirky.

If I found one in a good tea-core would I be tempted at that price? (which is really Cal money)
(I believe this should be a shout out to @Leather Walker 's beautiful padded Cal (in my size yes I would pay this money))

Out of the Al's I have had the QC is a bit 'varied' The best being questionably JLs, the worst (they can need treating gently (again, crossed my mind as well)).

1000010429-01.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner