Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Creek Leather

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fascinating accusation. I don't know about the UK, but here is the US, Lewis is not considered a rider's jacket and Lewis markets its jackets primarily to non-riding cosplayers such as myself. The lighter weight hides illustrate Lewis' target market. The primary retailer of Lewis jackets -- Stronghold -- is a workwear clothing store with no connection whatsoever to motorcycle riding. Thus, Lewis' "key demographic" in the US is substantially the same as FCL, with the exception that FCL targets buyers seeking higher quality detailing.

Not sure about it, but I do think that they are more considered a fashion brand now in the UK as well. My lightning certainly doesn't feel like a riding jacket. It's even more obvious if you look at their sheepskin offering.

@Corsair42 , if you can't see how LL jackets can be improved, I definitely can. I would like to use a superior hide, better hardware and a different lining. So if I ever did order a lightning in Horween CXL from say Johnson Leathers, would that be such a bad thing?

BTW, are you positive, the jackets are fully made in the UK, or are they simply "assembled" here with most of the work done overseas?

Colin G

One Too Many
Wasn't the original Lewis Leathers defunct then someone bought the rights to the name and rehashed the company?

Mich486

One Too Many
In my opinion, Lewis leathers jackets construction is comparable to Aero. The horsehide they use however is massively inferior to both horween cxl and Vicenza. New veg cowhide seems nice as their sheep skin does.

So yes I think these horsehide FCL clones (as that is what they are, they clearly took apart originals and reproduced them) are easily better made than the “originals” and feature a better hide. They are also more expensive and not customisable. Would I replace my LL Cyclone with the FCL? In a heartbeat if I could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Superfluous

The notion of Lewis being a pure motorcycle brand is somewhat outdated. While Lewis' roots are associated with motorcycles, Lewis has become increasingly a fashion brand, having collaborated with several contemporary fashion designers, including Comme des Garcons. In fact, after Lewis' popularity waned in the 90s and it closed its London shop, the fashion industry's subsequent renewed interest in the designs was, in part, responsible for the resurrection of the brand.

The references to Joe Strummer are interesting because, to the best of my knowledge, he did not ride a motorcycle. Paul Simonon rode a motorcycle, but I don't think Strummer did (I could be mistaken). Therefore, at the risk of contentious blasphemy, Strummer was arguably a cosplay biker not unlike many other former and current patrons of the brand (to be clear, I proudly include myself as a cosplay biker).

Yeah although LL aren't so prevalent here in the states, I've tried two on over the years. I think one might have been sheep. Seemed thin. I didn't consider either one much of a MC jacket. I reserve Vanson for my riding. Fine Creek looks interesting. I do like the seam and stitch work. How it fits and if it is a pattern dedicated MC jacket could only be determined with a try on.

BTW I've ridden a MC every summer for many years ( mines in the garage cleaned up and ready to go when the weather breaks ) and I'd still much rather avoid a rainstorm for a spray bottle on a new jacket any day, whether running 70MPH or getting soaked myself some other way.

dannyk

One Too Many
It’s also funny whenever old Schott or LL come up in reference to The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, so on and so forth. At the time I would reckon most of those were bought for 50 bucks at a thrift store. Maybe years later when they had a little more money but we have to remember those jackets were 10-20 years old then. No history or cult followings, not yet quite the fashion statement that they became by those guys wearing them. To them they just kind of looked cool and could be found for cheap. But Paul from The Clash did actually ride and I bet he had his “punk rock” leathers and his separate “riding” jackets.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Wasn't the original Lewis Leathers defunct then someone bought the rights to the name and rehashed the company?

The company was more or less going out of business and were just pushing out generic motorcycle gear, the current owner had a relationship with the owners and more or less inherited it and resurrected it with their permission.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
The notion of Lewis being a pure motorcycle brand is somewhat outdated. While Lewis' roots are associated with motorcycles, Lewis has become increasingly a fashion brand, having collaborated with several contemporary fashion designers, including Comme des Garcons. In fact, after Lewis' popularity waned in the 90s and it closed its London shop, the fashion industry's subsequent renewed interest in the designs was, in part, responsible for the resurrection of the brand.

The references to Joe Strummer are interesting because, to the best of my knowledge, he did not ride a motorcycle. Paul Simonon rode a motorcycle, but I don't think Strummer did (I could be mistaken). Therefore, at the risk of contentious blasphemy, Strummer was arguably a cosplay biker not unlike many other former and current patrons of the brand (to be clear, I proudly include myself as a cosplay biker).

I don't think it matters what Joe Strummer did, he was Joe Strummer.

Sam the Noster

New in Town
Hi Guys. First time posting here. I noticed a little farther back in the threat someone mentioned they were looking for sizing advice on the FCL Leon (The Noster). I've been searching for one for months now and was wondering if anyone had purchased one and if so, what their thoughts on sizing and feel were.

Blackadder

I think I have said it in the Addict thread. When a clone/copy costs more than an original, why would the original worry about the competition. It only becomes worrisome when Zara and H&M copied the design (in fact H&M made a copy of the Dominator oir Corsair a couple of years ago).
When Maison Matin Magiela and Dior copied the Addidas German trainer, they were hailed as tribute. I did not see anyone jumping up and down for Addidas. In fact Addidas got free publicity and they immediately relaunched their German trainer.
Whenever topic like this comes up, I can't help but wonder if any British complain when people buy trench coats from cheaper brands like say Jaeger and not Burberry's and Aquascutum.
I do not own any Addict and FCL but I own a Lewis I bought from a local dealer which is a fashion store that sells Comme des Garcons, Junya Watanabe and many other fashion brands (but no I did not buy the Lewis crossover with CdG or Junya).
One of the reasons why Addict, FCL and 666 make those copies is the fit. I have been to Vanson and Lewis dealers in Tokyo, neither ever care to make any Asian fit for the Asian market.
BTW, I have always felt that the Lewis Corsair and Dominator look rather like the German flight jackets.

Sam the Noster

New in Town
Thought I’d create a thread for folks interested in this jacket manufacturer from Japan.

Virginia Beach
33744851f96324d1e2ca89ed77e637dd.jpg

Richard
6aff70470ce1dff364e7650a7849ae27.jpg

Leon the Nostar (my photo taken of my jacket)
f908a228998a447607d0ac7ead31e11a.jpg

Leon Custom (my photo take of my jacket)
e73a93a56b3e1343fffebb633b0e2938.jpg

Leon Custom and Nostar

922b45f72428c6dbf7cc8c55d461d8ab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It seems they have a Leon Custom Light weight and Heavy weight now for 2019 pre order?

Bender

One of the Regulars
They look nice, I guess. Personally, I don’t get the appeal of these ultra-expensive Japanese makers who basically offer their takes on classic western designs. I reckon if you want a classic British cafe racer... you should get a classic British cafe racer. If you want a classic American leather trucker, get a classic American leather trucker. And spend less, to boot. Just my opinion... not my intention to offend anybody.

Last edited:

sinnedk

New in Town
Hi Guys. First time posting here. I noticed a little farther back in the threat someone mentioned they were looking for sizing advice on the FCL Leon (The Noster). I've been searching for one for months now and was wondering if anyone had purchased one and if so, what their thoughts on sizing and feel were.

Hey i have one on order for the fall delivery. I normally wear a size S (38) in schott, 38 in iron heart and 50 (40) in rick owens jackets.

I went to Self Edge san francisco and size the jacket, i took a 40 in the "Leon Custom" whichbis the same jacket but epaulets and belt cut off. It appears that the sizing is 1 off so whatever you wear size up one.

good luck.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
They look nice, I guess. Personally, I don’t get the appeal of these ultra-expensive Japanese makers who basically offer their takes on classic western designs. I reckon if you want a classic British cafe racer... you should get a classic British cafe racer. If you want a classic American leather trucker, get a classic American leather trucker. And spend less, to boot. Just my opinion... not my intention to offend anybody.

I'm with you on this one. This is why I stick with brand like Freewheelers, RMC, etc. RMC either does A2s (none of the original mfgs exist still) or their Buco jackets, which they own the label for. Freewheelers tends to do their own unique take on classic designs and when they do a tribute to a specific jacket, it's always an obscure model from a defunct brand.

I think Fine Creek's quality looks solid, but their jackets don't appeal to me personally.

sinnedk

New in Town
It seems they have a Leon Custom Light weight and Heavy weight now for 2019 pre order?

Yes 1.3mm and 2mm, check rivet and hide they have the 1.3mm and 2mm versions

Maybe my reasoning for buying the FCL might explain for you the appeal. I am into leather jackets and footwear in particular i like horse a lot as it has proven to be the most durable for me. I buy my leathers to wear hard and i appreciate the way things age. Now i know many other brands besides FCL could off provided me with a horsehide rider that will age gracefully but here is where we get into the particulars.

At this point in my life i don't want to deal with custom orders (like aero) and want to be able to try things on easily to buy/return. I am in the bay area so my options for the leather jackets i want are very narrow. Between Self Edge, Standard & Strange, and Schott i cant think of many other vendors that have RTW jackets. I prefer my leathers to fit well but also not skin tight (ahem rick owens) but also not overly short. I tried on TFH delraiser and that jacket ended way above my belt line for my liking, same went for many schott jackets with a few exceptions. The FCL hit perfect on the shoulders and finished right below the belt line which is what i like. Hence, the jacket was a no brainer and after a few weeks of wear it will age gracefully.

To you point though i don't want classic British or classic American as they also encompass a classic fit i don't want. What i want is a the look of the classic jacket with the style and fit off today.

Anyways my 2c....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21