Fine Creek Leather

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by ksozay, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Davidm

Davidm Familiar Face

i assume its not 5oz, i was trying those jackets few months ago, and basically the leather is pretty close to shinki hh in terms of weight, so feels like 2.5oz, and nowhere near lost worlds 4oz hh.

handymike likes this.
  2. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

Can someone explain how thickness is converted to weight? I understand what 2mm thick means but I’m struggling how that converts to a weight unit. So if I have a square meter of leather that is 2mm thick that will weigh differently based on the hide,right? If I take a piece out that weighs 1 oz, it might cover a different surface so I might need a bigger piece of the less dense leather to achieve the same weight?

3. ksozay

ksozay Practically Family

@Superfluous Looking forward to seeing what you think of the James! Great looking jacket. Thought I saw someone selling a new one on eBay recently (size 42). I'm still trying to find a Richard in my size. Love the Edward but man, just need the Richard and I can stop looking at FCL jackets. :)

4. ksozay

ksozay Practically Family

5. sinnedk

sinnedk New in Town

Can confirm 1 million percent that jacket is not and i repeat not 10lbs, 5 at best and i don't think its that heavy, my 316xschoot is heavier.

6. sinnedk

sinnedk New in Town

nice man, i saw your first post with the FCL, mind telling me where you got em? I only caught wind of them at Self Edge at end of 2018.

7. VestCoast

VestCoast One of the Regulars

The oz measurement of leather is still just a measure of thickness. Heddels has a short read about it here (https://www.heddels.com/2017/10/understanding-leather-weights/). Essentially 1 oz is equivalent to 1/64th in, or 0.4mm. Its pretty non-intuitive terminology, but I would guess it used to actually have something to do with weight but evolved into just a measure of thickness.

You can tell by the leather oz gauge below that it has nothing to do with actual weight.

[​IMG]

8. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

Thanks for the explanation! It makes sense and I agree it isn’t very intuitive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

Per sq feet maybe since leather is priced per sq feet

10. Bender

Bender New in Town

Your point is well-taken, particularly if you’re not into the whole waiting months for a custom jacket thing. I also like a classically-styled jacket with a modern (maybe not Rick Owens modern) fit... But then, I’ve also committed myself to waiting on that. I will admit, the idea of being able to try on in-stock stuff and get it immediately is cool. It’ll be pretty disappointing if my incoming stuff is not perfect.

I like your avatar, btw. Although I think your business card could use some work. See this? Raised lettering. Pale Nimbus white.

11. sinnedk

sinnedk New in Town

Hehe yea Bale is a great actor and its an ode to him and that movie.

Rick i grew out of i think although i still think he makes a lot of interesting designs.

Re waiting, i actually don't mind, i have an FCL Leon Custom on order and will get it in the fall. I had the opportunity to pick one up recently with the last batch SE received but decided to wait for the fall to see if i can get one with more grain and possibly scarring. Also not to mention i am wearing in an IH moto and 3sixteen x Schott collab. I bought those jackets within a month of each other and figured i should break them in before changing focus because that FCL will need hard wear to get that delightful patina.

12. b1lf

b1lf One of the Regulars

Monitor likes this.
  13. sinnedk

sinnedk New in Town

saw this on FCL's instagram story, i believe thats the james, looks good

[​IMG]

AeroFan_07, navetsea, ton312 and 2 others like this.
  14. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

^^ That rocks! I hope it fits.

15. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Man that is cool. I can tell straight off I’ll never get in one. I love the squared off shoulders but man that looks especially trim. I can at least put this maker to bed for myself

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    sweetfights likes this.
  16. Colin G

Colin G Practically Family

I have looked at a few Japanese-made jackets and the shoulders are never wide enough compared to what chest size I'd need. I only have 18" wide shoulders so I am no anomaly.

ton312 likes this.
  17. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

Kind of the same thing I’m wrestling with on a premier HWM.

18. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

It's funny because some brands like Freewheelers and especially Flat Head like to go for extra wide shoulders, but others go for fairly small shoulders.

19. Coke20x

Coke20x New in Town

Well, I've been a long-time visitor of the Fedora Lounge however, today is my premier post. Glad to be communicating this time rather than just reading everyone else's posts.

It just so happens that I went ahead and purchased a FCL Leon off of Rivet and Hide, just a short while ago, and here I've posted some pictures of my fitting below. Such a beautiful and well-made jacket by the way. The surface feels like lambskin almost.

The size 44 leon fits a bit snugly, especially in the chest. The 22 inch chest, I knew, was likely to be very tight and risky for me as I am better with a 22.5 to 23-inch chest. Limited arm range. I just figured that if I hold off from wearing it much and stretching it out, it would probably fit better after I lose a bit more weight in the upcoming couple of months. I think the 20 inch shoulders works well and the tapering from the arms to the opening is not too bad (21.4) and so not as tight on my midsection as i had thought it might be. Again, I do mean to lose about 15-20 pounds and so think that this would fit great at that point. What do you think?

It was decided to purchase this beautiful teacore FCL jacket after having recently sold off my Schott x 3Sixteen Arabica, which was very beautiful but incredibly heavy, after it had become much too big following some major weight loss I've had over the last year.

Anyway, hope to have many more postings on here.

Please take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

20. b1lf

b1lf One of the Regulars

@Coke20x - I think the arms are a bit too short. They are barely hitting at your wrists with your arms at your side - when it breaks in and bunches up a bit, they will be even shorter.

Otherwise, I think it looks great on you.

HoosierDaddy likes this.