Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Creek Leather

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I'll take a shot and say he picked the James because it's more of a casual style with the half belt back as opposed to the more bikerish Eric with the kidney panel and shoulder gussets. It's why I'd pick the James, at least.

sinnedk

New in Town
I'll take a shot and say he picked the James because it's more of a casual style with the half belt back as opposed to the more bikerish Eric with the kidney panel and shoulder gussets. It's why I'd pick the James, at least.

makes sense, i'd go for the eric because of all the mentioned items and the zip pockets.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Curious how you chose the James over the Eric, I like the zip pockets of the Eric personally.

Zip hand warmer pockets are a deal breaker for me -- they destroy watches. i also prefer the finishing of the sleeve ends on the James.

I actually prefer the cleaner back of the Eric, but I am not a fan of shoulder gussets.

It is all likely irrelevant because I suspect that the James will be too small for me. At that point, I will probably call Himel and order another GW Imperial. Either that or I will try Thedi.

There is no way in Hell thats 5oz. No need to even be within 100 feet of it. I can tell from the pics and experience. Cool story bro...but no.

Yeah, seconded. They've either taken photos of the regular version or their oz chart is off. That jacket doesn't look heavier than any Schott.

I have the 316xSchott and that thing weighs over 5, the FCL is possibly around that.
The 316 x Schott are not even close 5oz hides. A 5oz hide jacket will weigh 15lbs plus. I’ve had some extremely heavy 4.5oz leathers that weigh around 12. I have never, never ever, seen a legitimate 5oz leather jacket. It would be *nearly impossible* to sew together.

sinnedk

New in Town
The 316 x Schott are not even close 5oz hides. A 5oz hide jacket will weigh 15lbs plus. I’ve had some extremely heavy 4.5oz leathers that weigh around 12. I have never, never ever, seen a legitimate 5oz leather jacket. It would be *nearly impossible* to sew together.

I did not know a 5oz leather would weigh so much, yea the jacket is not 15lbs it actually 6lbs.

According to just about every leather thickness chart, 2mm is 5oz. Lost Worlds works with hides that are 4oz thick. 4.5 at best. Vanson is 3.5. Schott is 3 - 3.5 oz.

I have and have had quite a few really heavy jackets, that I believe were around 2mm (though definitely less as I can't measure leather thickness correctly 'cause I don't know how to) and each one was around or over 10lbs. If that FC is indeed 2mm, as others have stated, it has to be around 10lb, maybe more with all that hardware.

Had one German made MC jacket that was made from an insanely thick hide, it didn't have a single pocket, was super short, modern mandarin collar style made purely for riding and even without any hardware other than the main zip and with only a perforated nylon lining, the thing was just under 10lbs.

6lb would make it a standard 3oz jacket. Schott weight.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess a lot of it would depend on how the leather is treated, I would suspect that 3.5oz CXL would be heavier than most 3.5oz vegetable tanned horsehides.
My moosehide jacket which is supposed to be around 5oz weighs 3.78kg, size 44 but pretty short.

I am finding it hard to believe they would make the whole jacket out of 2mm thick horsehide

ksozay

One Too Many
I have a number of FCL jackets and all but one are 2MM jackets. Weight wise, these jackets are slightly heavier than an Aero Vic Hide Board Racer jacket. I'd estimate (5lbs).

There will always be plenty of reasons to spend less or more on a jacket. FCL jackets happen to check all the right boxes for me, just as I expect Real McCoy's jackets to check all the right boxes for someone else. At the end of the day, if I wear the jacket regularly and enjoy that experience, it's money well spent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB