Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Creek Leathers vs Double Helix

joezam713

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,
I've been looking at Fine Creek's lynchburg jacket, and I noticed Double Helix offers a very similar one called western pioneer. Would you say that Fine Creek's offering is better? If so, in what ways? I have yet to own a double helix, but from my understanding they're comparable to y2 leather, which I own two jackets from. I am quite happy with their roughout type 3 and their kakishibu type 1 jackets. Anyways, thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not sure if Double Helix uses Shiniki. The ones I have handled at the local dealer certainly don't seem to be Shiniki at least not the same type of Shiniki used by RM, TM, FW or RC.

joezam713

One of the Regulars
I am not sure if Double Helix uses Shiniki. The ones I have handled at the local dealer certainly don't seem to be Shiniki at least not the same type of Shiniki used by RM, TM, FW or RC.
Yeah, double helix doesn’t use shinki and fine creek only uses it on certain models. Thanks for
Gentlemen,
I've been looking at Fine Creek's lynchburg jacket, and I noticed Double Helix offers a very similar one called western pioneer. Would you say that Fine Creek's offering is better? If so, in what ways? I have yet to own a double helix, but from my understanding they're comparable to y2 leather, which I own two jackets from. I am quite happy with their roughout type 3 and their kakishibu type 1 jackets, but if I am looking for a sleek black jacket then shinki is my go-to-hide. Anyways, thanks for your input.
yeah, double helix doesn’t use shinki and FCL only uses it on certain models. Thanks for your input

HarryLime

Familiar Face
Lynchburg is a rad jacket. I think FCL really excel with their denim style jackets. I'm a big fan of the brand.

joezam713

One of the Regulars
Would you say that FCL’s standard leather is worth investing in?
Lynchburg is a rad jacket. I think FCL really excel with their denim style jackets. I'm a big fan of the brand.
would you say that they fade gradually or too fast?

HarryLime

Familiar Face
I've had my Richmond since October 2020 and it's just now really starting to get a nice patina. I got stopped in the street twice today with people commenting on it. I'll post some pics if I can get some good ones taken.

joezam713

One of the Regulars
I've had my Richmond since October 2020 and it's just now really starting to get a nice patina. I got stopped in the street twice today with people commenting on it. I'll post some pics if I can get some good ones taken.
Cool. Would much appreciate the pics

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would you say that FCL’s standard leather is worth investing in?

would you say that they fade gradually or too fast?
I like Shiniki leather. I'd pick it over CXL and badalassi for jackets (shoes I'd pick almost anything but shiniki). I am not certain what leather FCL uses because I have known the brand since their High Large days and those High Large denim type jackets are not shiniki but I did and still do like them over CXL.
Shiniki does fade quickly but so does some CXL as they are normally not dyed through. Depends on what you compare it to. Chrome tanned leather used by LW and Vanson etc takes long time to fade but then I would want those to fade at all since they only fade to a grey-blue. I have a leather vest that faded to a tinted blue colour and I don't find that appealing.

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
Can anyone who has tried all jackets, say type I or II by FCL, DH and Y2, comment on the sizing?
It seems that FCL fits a bit small, so I'd need a 44, while Y2 fits more 'normal', i.e. 42 would work.

joezam713

One of the Regulars
Can anyone who has tried all jackets, say type I or II by FCL, DH and Y2, comment on the sizing?
It seems that FCL fits a bit small, so I'd need a 44, while Y2 fits more 'normal', i.e. 42 would work.
FCL and DH are smaller in length while Y2 has a bit of extended length. My Y2 is literally 2 cm longer in the front than a DH in the same size.

indigoeagle

One of the Regulars
Interesting. Thank you

How would you compare the leather?
Besides the thicker (1.8-2mm) Eco horse Y2 Leather also has lighter (1-1.2mm) leather jackets in the type 1 506 style.
They are quite similar to the Fine Creek Leather Richmond jacket which is 1.2mm.
I'm wondering, if there are any differences in the leather and the aging.

joezam713

One of the Regulars
Interesting. Thank you

How would you compare the leather?
Besides the thicker (1.8-2mm) Eco horse Y2 Leather also has lighter (1-1.2mm) leather jackets in the type 1 506 style.
They are quite similar to the Fine Creek Leather Richmond jacket which is 1.2mm.
I'm wondering, if there are any differences in the leather and the aging.
IMO FCL ages faster, but I have Y2’s kakishibu type 1 which is a patina monster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider