Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fine Creek Leon

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What do you guys think about the Double Helix Deviant? It seems to be somewhat similar in design.

The leather looks nice but the design looks really underwhelming. The layout is off, like a Five Star jacket or something.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Dang! That brown perfecto wiwt BAD
Here's what it looks like now. Still not broken in but it's getting there :)

IMG_4534.jpeg

jeo

One Too Many
Hey. I'm 5'9 and 172 pounds. Attaching a picture of me in my 519. It's size S and quite tight when the zipper is closed, but otherwise i feel very good in it.
Hard to tell how that fits you with your hands in the pocket but it does look small. Based on this picture and your height and weight, I have a feeling that the size Leon that will look good on you will probably be tight and uncomfortable in the chest, especially if you ever gained weight. You’d probably need a 42.

Le Black Hand

New in Town
Aiming this as my next jacket (I own a few Schotts atm), but can't decide between the different versions.

I do like the look of the Custom more than the Nostar, but as I understand, the Custom is just Nostar with pieces cut off. So if I find a Nostar version I could just cut the pieces off myself?

The older versions seem to be 2mm thick and never ones 1.3mm. Which would you prefer? I don't own or ride a bike so I guess the less thick version would be more reasonable. There is something about thicker leather though that just seems better and longer lasting to me though.

@stenaloom I was in the same boat as you and recently pulled the trigger on a Leon Nostar (1.3mm Shinki) after months of researching and debating between the usual suspects. I am very happy with the weight as I live in a warm climate and want to be able to wear it year round.

I wanted the Custom, but the Nostar I got was 25% off so I just cut the pieces off myself hehe. Love how the 44 fits. I am 5'11" and 175 lbs. IMO the best looking double rider out there, but to each their own.

ss.jpg

cbez

One Too Many
altho I would probably not hack up a jacket, ppl have been modding their leather jackets as long as leather jackets have existed. its not like its some new hipster thing.

Aloysius

altho I would probably not hack up a jacket, ppl have been modding their leather jackets as long as leather jackets have existed. its not like its some new hipster thing.

I love seeing jacket mods but just cutting parts off looks moronic.

Le Black Hand

New in Town
The workwear fetishists' cutting off of belts and epaulettes is so cringe, whether they're doing it themselves or having it pre-cut.

IMO of course...

Lol. Sorry for violating your sartorial principles. Being a 20th century dragoon, I was equally disappointed to see the riff-raff making my beloved lancer jacket using leather, and riding motorized abominations with it on. And don't get me started on zippers!!

Friend - the very reason many of us are drawn to double rider's jackets is BECAUSE they are born of a culture of independent thinking - whether that is customizing motorcycles (as a bike builder myself), painting words/phrases/symbols on their jackets, sticking pins in their jackets, adorning their jackets with studs, or removing their epaulets. To imply it's 'moronic' simply affirms your character - dull, and uninteresting. Imagine you're fun at parties.

Aloysius

Lol. Sorry for violating your sartorial principles. Being a 20th century dragoon, I was equally disappointed to see the riff-raff making my beloved lancer jacket using leather, and riding motorized abominations with it on. And don't get me started on zippers!!

Pathetic and embarrassing.

Friend - the very reason many of us are drawn to double rider's jackets is BECAUSE they are born of a culture of independent thinking - whether that is customizing motorcycles (as a bike builder myself), painting words/phrases/symbols on their jackets, sticking pins in their jackets, adorning their jackets with studs, or removing their epaulets. To imply it's 'moronic' simply affirms your character - dull, and uninteresting. Imagine you're fun at parties.

Ah yes! Nothing says "independent thinking" like joining thousands of other people in doing exactly what Self Edge/Standard & Strange/Fine Creek tell you to do.

Le Black Hand

New in Town
Pathetic and embarrassing.

Ah yes! Nothing says "independent thinking" like joining thousands of other people in doing exactly what Self Edge/Standard & Strange/Fine Creek tell you to do.

How dare you insult the Holy Trinity!!

Surely you have something better to do on a Friday night than arguing with strangers about epaulets? You’re entitled to your opinions, however, you’re not entitled to be a dick. One of us made a constructive contribution to this thread, aimed at helping the original poster - the other came in simply to drop a snarky diatribe and insult another user as ‘moronic.’ What a welcome for a new member from such a venerable old timer!

You can spend all the time you want gallivanting around internet forums like a pompous faux aristocrat leather-daddy, or you could try being kind and courteous for a change.

Go have a drink and cool off tough guy.

stenaloom

New in Town
@stenaloom I was in the same boat as you and recently pulled the trigger on a Leon Nostar (1.3mm Shinki) after months of researching and debating between the usual suspects. I am very happy with the weight as I live in a warm climate and want to be able to wear it year round.

I wanted the Custom, but the Nostar I got was 25% off so I just cut the pieces off myself hehe. Love how the 44 fits. I am 5'11" and 175 lbs. IMO the best looking double rider out there, but to each their own.

View attachment 586764
Looks good on you. I put my plan on hold for now, but I'm sure I'm gonna come back to it. Would love to be able to try one somewhere, but that's not really an option where I live.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
I love seeing jacket mods but just cutting parts off looks moronic.
By that logic most bike modifications are moronic as they often involve cutting off or modifying parts to a point where it is possible to return it to the original state. Bobber bikes would be the definition of moronic then.
Not arguing, just saying. I have no horse in this conversation - don't have a bike or a modified cross-zip haha.

How do you feel about the length? In my experience this is far too long to ride in. My longest rider is Vanson’s model E. And IMO it’s too long as well:
IMG_1893.jpeg

View attachment 586764

Le Black Hand

New in Town
How do you feel about the length? In my experience this is far too long to ride in. My longest rider is Vanson’s model E. And IMO it’s too long as well:
View attachment 586989

Looks good on you. I had a 2006 bobber-style Bonnie for many years (wish I never sold it) and I think this jacket might have bunched up against my neck more than preferable - I.e. a tiny bit long

I've been riding old Frisco-style Harleys the last 10 years, so I sit 'back' more so than forward. This jacket's length is good in that regard

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    444.1 KB · Views: 48

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner