Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Custom Aero Arrived - 30s Half Belt - Fit Pics and First Impressions

Michael312

New in Town
Last Friday, a big box from Thurston Bros. arrived at my apartment. I felt a rush of excitement, combined with a bit of anxiety: Would the fit be right?

This is my first custom Aero, and my first fine leather jacket of any kind. I got a 30s Half Belt with the August collar in brown CXL FQHH, with changes to the sleeve and body length, and some tapering added so it would fit my short, broad-shouldered but slim-waisted frame.

I opened the box and the wonderful smell of fresh leather hit my nose. Unwrapping the jacket, I was overwhelmed by the rich color and the texture. I also noticed how heavy it was. My fit jacket was in the Vicenze horsehide, and the Chromexcel has a very different feel that I love.

Now, the moment of truth. I pulled on the jacket, and started to zip it up. I got about halfway, and had a brief moment of panic. Was it too tight? Did we get something wrong with the tapering? I zipped it up the rest of the way, and took a big breath. It wasn't too tight at all. The stiffness of the FQHH was what fooled me.

Quickly, I realized that a breaking in my new jacket was going to be similar to breaking in a new pair of raw denim jeans, which I've done many times. They start out stiff and almost uncomfortable, but quickly mold to my shape and soon feel like they were made just for me. My experience so far with this jacket has been much the same.

I've worn it around my apartment for at least a few hours every day this week, and it's slowing getting more flexible. Today I finally got around to having a few fit pictures taken. Later, I'll take some close-ups of the grain, and a shot of subtle green herringbone lining, and I'll post those here.

So, what does everyone think of the fit? Did we get it right?

aero_30s-half_belt_front2.jpg

aero_30s-half_belt_back.jpg

aero_30s-half_belt_front.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Yep, you nailed it! That's the best you could wish for for a first jacket, well done.

Spraying the leather with some water, rubbing it in with your hand and wearing it until dry will help speed the break in a lot.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Fits great and wow, that fresh and new brown FQHH stuns me every time again. I wish they offered a hide like that which didn't age so quickly as CLX. I love that shiny brown..

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great fit and great choice for your first? or only jacket...honestly, that can cover pretty much every base.

Jeremiah

A-List Customer
Great looking jacket. I think it fits you very well. I know that “moment of truth” feeling. Not fun but like you compared to the denim jeans, you don’t want that perfect feel out of the box. Will take some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ