Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Fur felt hat purchases, Akubras......

Ryan's Hat

New in Town
Hello all. Sometime ago I post what my my first time one here, a thread about choosing a hat.....

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/akubra-vs-jacaru-hat.102869/

Well, I would up with 3 Akubra hats. I figured I'd show them here. The two black ones are a Snowy River, and a Coober Pedy. The gray is a Cattleman. I'd welcome any opinions on what you all think, I'm a bit undecided. I might sell one or two. It depends. I don't want to insert my thoughts on them yet.

Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20210509_164704534.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210509_164704534.MP.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 225
  • PXL_20210509_164133669.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210509_164133669.MP.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 220
  • PXL_20210413_214458798.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210413_214458798.PORTRAIT.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 249
Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hello all. Sometime ago I post what my my first time one here, a thread about choosing a hat.....

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/akubra-vs-jacaru-hat.102869/

Well, I would up with 3 Akubra hats. I figured I'd show them here. The two black ones are a Snowy River, and a Coober Pedy. The gray is a Cattleman. I'd welcome any opinions on what you all think, I'm a bit undecided. I might sell one or two. It depends. I don't want to insert my thoughts on them yet.

Thanks!
Looking good in them all. I can’t quite make out the hat band on the Snowy River. Is it still a braided leather band? I love the contrast in the Coober Pedy between the brown band and black hat. The cattleman in grey suits you as well. I know I like the sun protection the Cattleman provides.
Wear them in good health.
Johnny

Ryan's Hat

New in Town
Looking good in them all. I can’t quite make out the hat band on the Snowy River. Is it still a braided leather band? I love the contrast in the Coober Pedy between the brown band and black hat. The cattleman in grey suits you as well. I know I like the sun protection the Cattleman provides.
Wear them in good health.
Johnny

Well first of all thank you! Not only for the complement, but for your help and input a few months ago in my other thread. Now the Snowy River has no band on it. It had a braided leather band, tan. It was loose and a bit dry, so i removed it. I'll have to find a replacement. I do quite like the Coober Pedy, and that's the one I thought I'd like least. It is the band contrast that really catches the eye. The Cattleman is just an all round great hat.

Thanks again!

Ryan's Hat

New in Town
Mind if I ask why? Don’t like the colour? Style? No room to store them? Need the money back for more hat purchases? ;) The last one was only half joking.
Johnny

It's the color on me. I think it might be too dark. And I really wanted to like the black, but there's that nagging feeling that it just doesn't work on me.

I mean sure, I might maybe possibly invest in more hats. ;)

It's the color on me. I think it might be too dark. And I really wanted to like the black, but there's that nagging feeling that it just doesn't work on me.

I mean sure, I might maybe possibly invest in more hats. ;)

I’m not a huge black hat fan, and for some time I avoided then completely (except for homburgs). I’ve warmed to them and now have several. They are not my favorites, but black is a color I think everyone looks good in. Find the right style for sure, but don’t be too quick to dismiss black: in the photos you wear the color well.

Now if you said you hated black because it’s a lint magnet and you have light colored pets that shed I would have nothing but sympathy for you.

Ryan's Hat

New in Town
I’m not a huge black hat fan, and for some time I avoided then completely (except for homburgs). I’ve warmed to them and now have several. They are not my favorites, but black is a color I think everyone looks good in. Find the right style for sure, but don’t be too quick to dismiss black: in the photos you wear the color well.

Now if you said you hated black because it’s a lint magnet and you have light colored pets that shed I would have nothing but sympathy for you.

You know the thing is near everyone I know says I look best in the black. So I'm not gonna be hasty to decide, that's good advice. I'll let them hang out here a bit, because it's the color I wanted to have in the first place. And the lint and all that doesn't bother me at all.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it was me I would hold off on selling them just yet. There are first reactions then there is what you actually end up reaching for on a regular basis. But that’s just me.
Johnny

Thanks! I know, I have a feeling this could just be the beginning....I might be in trouble! And now I'll probably get a Fed IV and/or a Campdraft.
Seeing the widths of the brims on the hats you've shown us here, I'd start with the Campdraft because it has a wider brim than the Fed IV; step down from wider brims to narrower brims so it isn't such a shock. Yes, the difference between your current hats and the Campdraft is only a little over 5/16", but you'd be surprised how much of a difference that makes visually when it comes to hat brims.

It's the color on me. I think it might be too dark. And I really wanted to like the black, but there's that nagging feeling that it just doesn't work on me...
Nah. Black works on everyone; you just have to get used to it. Besides, if you truly are on the "Top of the Mountain" that usually means snow during the colder winter months, so the nice wide brims will help to keep the snow off of your head and shoulders while the color provides excellent contrast against the glare reflecting off of the snow just in case someone is trying to find you in the middle of that cold white blanket.

Ryan's Hat

New in Town
Seeing the widths of the brims on the hats you've shown us here, I'd start with the Campdraft because it has a wider brim than the Fed IV; step down from wider brims to narrower brims so it isn't such a shock. Yes, the difference between your current hats and the Campdraft is only a little over 5/16", but you'd be surprised how much of a difference that makes visually when it comes to hat brims.

Nah. Black works on everyone; you just have to get used to it. Besides, if you truly are on the "Top of the Mountain" that usually means snow during the colder winter months, so the nice wide brims will help to keep the snow off of your head and shoulders while the color provides excellent contrast against the glare reflecting off of the snow just in case someone is trying to find you in the middle of that cold white blanket.

Ok, I will certainly look into a Campdraft. No doubt that brim difference will be interesting.

Yeah so the black was my original choice, and everyone says it's the best on me. So I am certain you're right, I just need to get used to it. Time will tell.

Oh and the snow, it's an event, but it's not the worst I've ever experienced somehow. lol

Mm25

Practically Family
Keep them all. Wear them in rotation and see what you feel best with. And know it will change for no reason occasionally.
I don’t see any problems with black hats now, but once I preferred not to wear them.
I have somewhere north of thirty Akubras including two Snowy Rivers, but they are the ones I wear least, something about the crown taper just throws the look off for me. However, they are one of their bestsellers, so what do I know.
Enjoy what you like!
Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB