Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First hat and first bash. How am I doing?

ideaguy

One Too Many
Terrific work, and great eye for style; you're a natural-and you look great
in the hat-a really fine combination; lotsa guys spend so much time and
don't fit into the hat-you found one that says you-and we just met you!
Welcome!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hej Niels!

Oops- missed this one.
You're really boosting the Copenhagen numbers- good work.
That hat looks plain cool.

You were comparing the price of the Federation with Magasin and Illum..?
Try comparing to Petitgas, 'THE' Hat Shop then, and also take into the consideration, that NONE of his expensive hats have the classic lines of a straight-sided hat, like the Fed.

Petitgas has Borsalinos stacked all the way to the roof and none of them look as good as a Federation(my opinion).
The Akubra is probably better made too.

So compare a 1500DKK Borsalino to an Akubra for 450DKK and you're laughing.

Wear it!

B
T

ICannotPlayBass

New in Town
An Attempt to Crease a Stingy Brim

About a week ago I received a black Stetsonian from Johnny with a center crease;
stetson02.jpg

stetson01.jpg

I tried to go for front pinches and a teardrop, and here is how it turned out;
stetson03.jpg

stetson04.jpg

Here is a shot of it on;
stetson05.jpg

Since the photos, I played with the back of the crown and a little more steam to straighten it out. In the end, I happy with it as my first attempt at reshaping.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good. You should be. Nice to see your efforts. I lean toward the centerdent for stingies, but I'm not a wearer of stingies, it's just a visual thing.

dean

pgoat

One Too Many
Very nice indeed.

I reshaped to a diamond on one of my old stingies that had a center crease and it didn't hold very well (I didn't use steam). I was thinking I should have left it alone......I have another (mint) stingy with center crease I left alone (It's a size too small anyway so I'll be selling it) but I am going to try the old one again (with steam this time) after seeing your results. Thanks for sharing!

PS Are we talking upright or electric? If upright I sympathize......

ICannotPlayBass

New in Town
I was going to thank you each for the kinds words and compliments, but my post was becoming a bit too lengthy. I really appreciate the posts and the overall positive atmosphere that the members here provide.

pgoat said:
I reshaped to a diamond on one of my old stingies that had a center crease and it didn't hold very well (I didn't use steam). I was thinking I should have left it alone......I have another (mint) stingy with center crease I left alone (It's a size too small anyway so I'll be selling it) but I am going to try the old one again (with steam this time) after seeing your results. Thanks for sharing!
I am glad that you are going to give it another shot, that made it worth starting the thread. The hat is a XXX, so it was easy to work with, but it would not hold any reshaping until I steamed it. Matt Deckard put together a phenomenal thread that was stickied. If you have not read through it, I would highly advise it.

*Thank you again John, I could not have asked for a more pleasant transaction.

pils

New in Town
BellyTank said:
Oops- missed this one.
You're really boosting the Copenhagen numbers- good work.
That hat looks plain cool.

You were comparing the price of the Federation with Magasin and Illum..?
Try comparing to Petitgas, 'THE' Hat Shop then, and also take into the consideration, that NONE of his expensive hats have the classic lines of a straight-sided hat, like the Fed.

Petitgas has Borsalinos stacked all the way to the roof and none of them look as good as a Federation(my opinion).
The Akubra is probably better made too.

So compare a 1500DKK Borsalino to an Akubra for 450DKK and you're laughing.

Wear it!

B
T

I had a look at the brand name hats on display in the window. I reckon 1500DKK (approx. 295USD) would be for one of his cheap hats.

I didn't have a look inside :)

first major re-crease job...

Hello all, I picked this up on ebay for $19+ shipping because I had been wanting a grey fedora, I love my campdraft and so I went with this OR clone by Resistol (branded and sold by Finchley Department stores). I've tried a couple of creases and was hoping someone would give me a helpful suggestion. I think the issue is that the hat has a tremendous amount of taper as compared to my campdraft.

sorry in advance for the picture quality, they're off my cell phone camera

but here is is as I got it from ebay, 2.5" brim and 5" crown (when opened):
ebay.jpg

and my first attempt at recreasing it:
img050.jpg

img053.jpg

and my 2nd:
img057.jpg

img058.jpg

and my 3rd:
img062.jpg

img068.jpg

any suggestions would be grateful.

The hat is 3x beaver and has a price of $11.95. Does anyone have a rough idea of how old this hat is?

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

-Rob

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
How about trying a very shallow diamond crown. It should help to bring the sides out and reduce some taper plus max out the crown height as much as possible at the same time. I agree though, your head is begging for a taller crown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran