Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Hat Wearing Experience

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen,

I would like to say, amongst an appreciative audience, that I'm surprised it's taken so long for me to understand the hat wearing experience.

I'll spare the details, but I was recently told to have no sun exposure, and that includes wearing a hat. This wasn't the end of the world for me, since I quite like old fashioned style.

However today, while out about the town in a cool, overcast and rainy sky, I was truly appreciative of the function that a good fedora can provide, in addition to style.

Sydney has been under a gloomy spell for the past 3 weeks, and it was nice to be able to walk around, warm, without rain on my head and in fashion, with two hands free.

Regards,
- SteveN

Hal

Practically Family
SteveN said:
I was recently told to have no sun exposure, and that includes wearing a hat...
...while out about the town in a cool, overcast and rainy sky, I was truly appreciative of the function that a good fedora can provide, in addition to style...it was nice to be able to walk around, warm, without rain on my head and in fashion, with two hands free.

Isn't it likely that most man who wear hats start doing so for practical reasons as you have done? In Australia this might mostly be for the first reason you give, in cooler climates for the second. If you were wearing a raincoat on the cool, overcast and rainy day, a hat is the logical next step - in my view the former calls for the latter.

MAB1

Suspended
The best things about a good hat isn't just keeping cool and shaded... it's lookin COOL in it.

Think WIDE brim. :D

DnSchlng

One of the Regulars
Another good reason to wear hats is that the right hat can make a perfect statement about yourself, especially since they have sort of fallen out of style.
Just look at Indy, Bogie, Jonny Depp, and all other people or characters who wear hats

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen