Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First hat?

Nigel Fisher

New in Town
Hi all -

I am a new member here on TFL. I have no hats or fedoras, but I am interested in obtaining one. Does anyone know of a good store or eBay auction where I can purchase a hat? I am low on funds, so the cheaper the better. More specifically, I need a very cheap purchase - I may be able to up to around $30. I realize you cannot get a very high quality hat for this price, but I need to first try one on, see how I look, how people react, and so on. I don't want to just try one on in a store, because my feelings always evolve throughout the day(s) as I wear any new item of clothing.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd be extremely grateful. I have a round, large head, so that may be of help in deciding what I should get. I'll get pictures up when I can.

Thanks,
Nigel

Stoney

Practically Family
Welcome to the lounge Nigel.

What size hat do you wear? The price for good vintage hats depends upon the size that you are buying. If you are a small size 6 5/8 to 7, like me, you can count your blessings as very good hats in these sizes often go for $10 to 15 and sometimes they don't even receive any bids. Larger sizes like 7 5/8 and up and you are in high cost territory since the supply of vintage hats in these sizes is meager by comparison.

Check out the Classifieds section on this forum as well. You may want to post a Hat Wanted ad in there. Since we have so many collectors that have to sell some of their hats every once in a while, you may get a bargain right here at the Fedora Lounge.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome Nigel! Just keep checking e-Bay, there are bargans there if you just be patient.
For a fast hat I would reccomend a wool felt, this time of year most are on clearance.And most are fairly serviceable with a little care. Also if you have a Burlington Coat Factory close you may find a fur felt at low price.
Good luck in your search and keep us updated.

Nigel Fisher

New in Town
Thanks for the replies!

I have a very large head, but I don't know what size it is. How do I measure this, or is there some sort of measurement apparatus, say, Burlington would have? [huh]

I have been checking eBay avidly, but I don't trust them very much as I have gotten burned on several items. Granted, these were instruments, so the situation may be different.

I may post a WTB thread in Classified after I find my size. Thanks for the tip!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome to the Lounge Nigel,
In Eugene you used to have several vintage clothing stores that do their best to carry hats. Putting on the Ritz comes to mind. I'm suggesting that you stop by on a regular basis ( among the others in town) and try on what they have on hand. You never know when you'll get lucky but along with that, you'll get a better idea of your size and what looks good on you. There are also quite a few thrift shops that Lounge member Fedoralover has had great luck with in finding hats.
Remember, the fun is in the journey, not the destination, so take your time & have fun with it.

Razzman

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge Nigel. As the other members mentioned, If you can find a cloth measuring tape it's easy to measure your head and convert it to a hat size. The Burlington Coat Factory usually has a good supply of inexpensive fur/felt hats. Thrift shops etc. usually have hats you could try on for fit.

pils

New in Town
Hi Nigel and welcome!

I think you will have to be lucky to find a decent vintage hat in your price range. However IMHO, if you just want to try the whole look before committing to a more expensive hat, then a nice wool felt might be a good option.

Oh and from my own experience with a (relatively) inexpensive hat I would say, that the sweat band is even more important than the felt of the hat. I have a decent looking fur felt hat with a synthetic leather sweat band, but when I get a bit hot and sweaty the sweat band expands and the whole thing slips down and settles on my ears :eusa_doh: Besides that the synthetic material doesn't feel very nice against the skin. Go for leather or at least cloth!

/Niels

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome .....

"I have a decent looking fur felt hat with a synthetic leather sweat band, but when I get a bit hot and sweaty the sweat band expands and the whole thing slips down and settles on my ears Besides that the synthetic material doesn't feel very nice against the skin. Go for leather or at least cloth!"

This is good advice, also...don't let your past experiences deter you away from ebay, but....be patient and you'll end up being pleasantly surprised in the end. ;)

Nigel Fisher

New in Town
Thanks for the responses everyone.

I'll try eBay, but I will most likely only go to the links posted in Classified and Merchants.

Do I measure my head from where I want that hat to sit, or is there a specific place? As in - right above the peak of my ear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes