first kill of the year

Discussion in 'The Display Case' started by Sean, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean, hunt well, legally and safely. If you are ever over at www.surplusrifleforum.com say hello to me as I am a mod over there.

2. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

What is The Fedora Lounge?

Artigas, Thanks for your opinion. However, noting that a thread may not be appropriate because what someone killed today has nothing to do with vintage is not getting on anyone's case. It simply has nothing to do with the stated intent of this forum.

There is a more appropriate forum and I posted a link to it.

And, yes, as a hunter and a fisherman, I continue to be aware of the sensitivity of other members to certain subjects. It's called being a Gentleman.

3. Artigas

Artigas Familiar Face

I agree completely, about being a gentleman and being sensitive to the sensitivities to those around us. I think Sean fulfilled this social obligation quite well by the way he titled his thread. The fact that some of our more sensitive comrades misunderstood his implicit warning is no mark against his gentleman's conduct, but rather an unfortunate accident.

This is the statement I was referring to when I said "getting on his case":

It seemed to be of a somewhat scolding nature; on my end, "getting on his case" isn't really a very strong phrase. These things considered, I don't think I said anything out of line. Your mileage may vary.

He was wearing a fedora-like hat. Most people don't do that while hunting; I assume Sean went out of his way to do this because of his affinity for such a vintage-inspired item. So I wouldn't say that his photo or thread has "nothing" to do with the vintage theme of this forum.

Yours in sport,

Artigas

P.S. I see you're from TX--how's things back on the old homestead? I don't get back home 'till Thanksgiving.

4. jake_fink

jake_fink Call Me a Cab

Cool. Nothing says vintage like shooting a rodent.

5. just_me

just_me Practically Family

I'm new here, so maybe I shouldn't say anything (but that's never stopped me before :) ), but I never would have guessed that opening a post in the Lounge would include a photo of someone displaying a recently killed animal.

I also thought the title pertained to a new acquisition. Perhaps a hat.

6. Artigas

Artigas Familiar Face

Which is quite understandable. But you wouldn't hold Sean accountable for causing offense, considering it was a miscommunication, would you?

7. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

Artigas, No one is chastizing Sean or holding anything against him. There are simply members who are offended by the material. There's no point in chiding them for their views. After all, no one has done this to Sean.
    I suggest we drop this and let the Bartender decide whether this thread is appropriate or not.

Things are fine in Texas. I didn't shoot any squirrels or other rodents today. I probably won't tomorrow. Unless there is a sudden influx of Sciurus carolinensis Gigantus. :)

8. Artigas

Artigas Familiar Face

Be careful... they sneak up on you when you're not looking. And they bring their moose buddies, too. :D

[​IMG]
    "You talkin' to me? 'Cause there's no one else here."

9. just_me

just_me Practically Family

In a way I would. Hunting is a subject that invokes strong opinions and emotions and it seems to me that it would be fairly obvious that this is not really the forum for that kind of post. Even though there was a miscommunication in the title, I don't think it should have been here at all.

But, that being said, I don't think Sean meant to make anyone uncomfortable.

10. HadleyH

HadleyH I'll Lock Up

:p :p :p ~~~~~~~~~~~~~lol lol lol ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LOL carter!

11. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

Bingo.

12. PADDY

PADDY I'll Lock Up Bartender

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.