Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First post... Borsalino Como II... need a color recommendation please.

Climb14er

New in Town
Been on the forum for over a year and been reading posts here for a few years. Please allow me to introduce myself.

I live in Denver, been wearing ten to twenty five year old Stetsons black (Gambler and Open Road) hats, 10x-30x, 4 3/8 Crowns and 3.0-3.5 inch brims, Shantung Stetsons (10x) 4 3/8 Crown and 3.5 inch brim for the summer and have a twelve year old Akubra Banjo Paterson, Graphite that I've turned up the sides of the brim a little to give it a western look.

A few months ago, I had a custom 100% beaver hat made for me here in Denver, absolutely beautiful, natural color, an adventurer shaped crown, 4.25 inch high in the front and 3.25 inch brim western curl.

Following the suggestion of the forum, I called Bencraft Hats and spoke to Zev, as Steven was extremely busy. Told him that I was interested in a Borsalino Como II hat, didn't know what color I'd want.

I've had it narrowed down to either the Black, the Dark (Charcoal) Grey and the lighter Steel Grey.

Being that I have other hats in black and none in grey, I'd like either of the greys but the only place I've seen pics of them is on the site. Small pics though on their site.

I've read many of the threads and posts here but finding pics of the Como II in the greys has proven to be difficult, even when using the search.

Zev recommended the 'darker' grey Como II as he said it's got a lot of 'different colors' running through it depending on the light.

Anyone have a recommendation as to which grey I should consider ordering? Any pics of either grey Como II?

Kudos on the forum!

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome!

Have you tried the Google images search function? That may be a good way to locate pictures of Comos in various colors.

TipTop

Practically Family
Welcome! What color are YOU?

I'm brand new here too and have a bunch of conservative western hats. My first custom job was the "smoke" Rands Shooting Clay you see here, that is basically gray, but a good dose of brown in it. My second, is a dark brown Rand Back Country that is alternately elegant and western.

But seriously, I think you ought to first consider your own skin tone and hair color--just like you choose a crease on the shape of your face, nose, etc. I don't know the science of this, but I am sure there are those here that do. We'll all be interested in what you choose; have fun and take pics!

Climb14er

New in Town
Welcome! What color are YOU?

I'm brand new here too and have a bunch of conservative western hats. My first custom job was the "smoke" Rands Shooting Clay you see here, that is basically gray, but a good dose of brown in it. My second, is a dark brown Rand Back Country that is alternately elegant and western.

But seriously, I think you ought to first consider your own skin tone and hair color--just like you choose a crease on the shape of your face, nose, etc. I don't know the science of this, but I am sure there are those here that do. We'll all be interested in what you choose; have fun and take pics!

As mentioned in my post, I have predominately black hats and my skin tone blends in with that... olive complexion, usually with a hint of sun tanning from all the time spent outside. So... black, grey, silverbelly, even a light sand and bone will all work for me.

I can wear any black or grey color.

I got the custom hat in natural beaver as I always wanted a natural beaver hat. With the horsehair band, the hat is beautiful. If and when I get around to it, I'll take some pics.

I was reading that the lighter colored Como and Como II's are a bit on the 'soft' side. This kind of caught me by surprise.

Reason is that I prefer a hat with 'body'! All of my hats have body with the Akubra having the 'least'.

All of the Stetsons and the custom beaver are firm hats. They fit well and brush off the rain and snow with ease.

I might go the route of a Borsalino or have one of the local and excellent Colorado hatters build me a 4.25 inch crown, three inch flat brim with a rear 'snap', open western crown in light 100% beaver silverbelly.

We'll see... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran