Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First (sorta) Post and a possible Lounger event?

JOVE23

New in Town
Hi all!!

This is my (sorta) first post here. I've been lurking forever, never had the stomach to introduce myself.

I'm a 20 year old Sophomore at Georgia State University in Atlanta. I've been wearing hats for, oh, 3-4 years. I'll take pictures of my babies when I get back from vacation in Florida. I hope to contribute to the discussions here and being an active member of the community!

Anyways, the event: For you baseball fans in the midwest, I thought this might pique your interests:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/cubs/2008/05/throwback_game_at_wrigley_on_j.html

CHICAGO – The Chicago Cubs and Atlanta Braves will play the first-ever throwback game at Wrigley Field on Thursday, June 12 at 1:20 p.m. In correlation with the 60th anniversary of Chicago Cubs baseball on WGN-TV, the Cubs will take the field in replica 1948 uniforms while the Braves will take part by wearing uniforms resembling those of the 1948 Boston Braves. WGN-TV will participate by presenting a special broadcast of the game to commemorate their 60th anniversary and the first throwback game in Cubs history.

The throwback game, presented by Pepsi, will include additional themes and festivities reminiscent of 1948.

“The Cubs and WGN have a tremendous history and have enjoyed a special relationship for the past 60 years,” said Crane Kenney, Chairman of the Cubs. “We can think of no better way to honor more than a half-century of partnership by reflecting upon and celebrating the season during which this connection began.”

"We're excited to be a part of what we know will be a memorable day at Wrigley Field and look forward to celebrating 60 years of the Cubs and WGN-TV during our telecast," said Bob Vorwald, Executive Producer, WGN Sports.

Fans will enjoy select ballpark food and beverages at prices comparable to that year. For the first hour the gates are open, Kelly Eisenberg smokey links will be brought back to Wrigley Field for $1.00 a piece, while Pepsi will have designated vendors selling soft drinks in the stands for only $0.75.

Fans attending this special game are encouraged to participate by dressing in 1948-style attire and will experience what a game at Wrigley Field was like in that era – from music to scorecards and more from that year. They will also have the opportunity to take part in activities dating back to that time. For example, five kids 14-years-and-younger will be chosen at random for Seat Flipper duty after the game. Those picked will receive four tickets to an upcoming Cubs home game for their post-game assistance.

Tickets are currently available on www.cubs.com, by calling 1-800-THE-CUBS (800-843-2827) or at the Wrigley Field ticket office.

I'm trying to get some tickets as we speak!!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Oh man, I'm with you!

I lived in Atlanta from '89 to '93. When I first got to town I saw a bumper sticker that read, "Go Braves - and take the Falcons with you!" Needless to say the sentiment changed when the Braves caught fire that following season and have been a force ever since. They made fans of me and I still love following their games.

I hope this sort of thing catches on. One of the wonderful things about the game is it's old fashioned wholesomeness. It would be great to wear a fedora to a "throw back" game although I can't see making it to Wrigley on this short notice.

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Lounge!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I lived in Macon for about 10 years. We used to like to go to Macon Braves games at Luther Williams Field all the time. The games were sometimes in "throw-back" attire and the stadium is one of the oldest of its kind still used... it was cool. Welcome to the Lounge, I hope you have a great vacation, too!

JOVE23

New in Town
indycop said:
lol lol lol Could buy a fedora for the cost of some of their shirts!

Yeah.

Have you seen the new ugly as sin tweed trilby things they're selling now? They've even got big old American Eagle logos plastered on the side.

shakeshead

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Hey Jove! Welcome from a fellow Atlantan!

Man, this sounds like a great event...I'm going to see about getting tickets and if I do, maybe some of us here who are in the area and plan to attend could exchange cell phone numbers so we could meet somewhere. I wonder how many at the game will wear hats and ties and coats. It'll be interesting anyway.

1948...I remember it well...I was one year old, the family Dobermann was my best friend. I'm a little older than you. ;) I just don't act like it.

This should be a great photo opportunity, and although Nikon SLR's are a bit anachronous, I would probably get some great shots. Hmmm. I could put my still-functioning Contax to good use here.

Hoping this works out and with thanks for bringing it to our notice,

- Bill

JOVE23

New in Town
Hey guys!

I don't think you can get seats together anymore through anything but StubHub. Single seats are about $46 a pop. Remember when bleacher seats were $1.50?

I don't.

But anyways, I was thinking about bringing a Kodak Brownie 8MM handheld camera to the game. Do you think It'd be worth it? The cheapest seats I can find on StubHub are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the heck back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy