Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First vintage hat: A Whippet

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
I just bought this hat on eBay. It is a Stetson Whippet. Being my first vintage lid, I would like to know what you all think? Did I make a good purchase? It has a five inch crown and three inch brim. It looks black but it is more of a dark gray.

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
Wow, this is your first vintage hat?

That's a great way to start--Whippets are my favorite among the vintage choices, and this looks like it is in mint condition. I like the color, too. Let's see some pix of it on.

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the kind words guys. It is a 6 7/8 so I'm sure you don't want it Feraud:) .

I have been looking for a really nice starter hat for about a month now(patience pays off). I am trying to keep the memory of my grandfather with me. Even though I was never able to meet him I have heard plenty about him. When I showed some interest in hats, my mother told me that the only hats my grandfather ever wore were Stetsons. At least I can connect with him in some way.

budward

One of the Regulars
Ditto the positive comments above. And I would add that that model hat doesn't come up too often on ebay (or elsewhere that I can find). And it looks to be in great condition, so I'd say that's quite a score for any collection, particularly as your first. Snap that brim, cock it a bit to one side, and enjoy.

Budrick

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A very nice first vintage and with a 3" brim too, humm. Lets see it on your head. Yup, that is a good purchase.

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Nice hat

I really like the Whippet hat. To me it epitomizes the stylish period of our history when real men wore real hats. I own several Whippets and consider them in a "must have" category for a vintage hat collector.

jeboat:) :) :)

Hold on. 6 7/8 with a 3" brim? On a Whippet? I'm prepared to be surprised when you get the hat in question into your hands but, frankly, i don't believe it. (There's no doubt that it's a Whippet; they're very distinctive. I know they vary quite alot between years, but 3" brim on a 6 7/8 Whippet?)

Mine (size 7) all have brims at 2 1/4"-2 1/2"

bk

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Yes sir. I asked the seller specifically how tall the crown was and how wide the brim was before buying it. Don't worry, as soon as I get it (and put it on of course) I will see if the seller was just estimating the width of the brim.

44forrest

New in Town
It has a five inch crown and three inch brim.

I think the seller could use a lession in how to use a ruler. This hat looks two inches to me. Not my style, too skinny. But, if you paid a decent price, you got a decent hat.

aliados

One of the Regulars
Whippets (among my favorites!) vary. The one I am wearing today (size 7-1/4) has a 5-3/4" crown with a very slight taper, and a 2-9/16" brim. I have one at home (7-1/8) with a brim of 2-7/8", and a 5-1/2 inch crown.

The brims looks narrower than they are due to the taped edges and the
height of the crowns.

Great catch!

Charlie

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Well, it looks like the seller overestimated a bit. The brim is just under 2 3/4 and the crown is about 4 3/4. I'm not crying about 1/4 of an inch.;)

This hat is so soft. I can't pinch the crown without it staying in place. I will have to resort to using some water. By the way, how is the back of the brim supposed to swoop? Do I just leave the natural curl?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner