Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishermen's sweaters site

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's from a roomful of women on Harris just knitting away in front of the telly - seriously! I have one and it's just about the warmest jumper I own - I have the sea green, and another on order in ginger. It'll take a few wears to soften up btw - even Aero's jumpers need breaking in - and be careful how you wash/dry it. The first time I did that, I didn't shape it properly while wet (I laid it out and flattened the thing carefully, which didn't work) and it required a second shot and some parental advice to get it back to normal.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
It should be arriving today or tomorrow, all being well. I've got it for very cold weather, to wear under my Barnstormer. To be honest we don't get too much really cold weather just north of Manchester (just lots of rain!), but hopefully I'll get some decent wear out of it over the next few months. It's funny, I never used to like roll-neck sweaters, but I can't do without them now.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
It should be arriving today or tomorrow, all being well. I've got it for very cold weather, to wear under my Barnstormer. To be honest we don't get too much really cold weather just north of Manchester (just lots of rain!), but hopefully I'll get some decent wear out of it over the next few months. It's funny, I never used to like roll-neck sweaters, but I can't do without them now.

I agree, I really like good heavy wool roll neck sweaters. I will have a look at that Aero site and those Harris sweaters. I have a couple of genuine Submariners roll necks from outdoor knitwear, grand prix legends and Ace cafe (Bikers) and a sou'west roll neck too. They certainly keep one warm.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
The Aero sweater arrived! Perfect fit (XL) and it's just fantastic. I was a bit unsure about spending that much on it at first, but I'm glad I did now.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I agree, I really like good heavy wool roll neck sweaters. I will have a look at that Aero site and those Harris sweaters. I have a couple of genuine Submariners roll necks from outdoor knitwear, grand prix legends and Ace cafe (Bikers) and a sou'west roll neck too. They certainly keep one warm.

I have an Outdoor Knitwear Submariner in navy blue en route as well. How are they? I fancied the North Sea Clothing version, but I already have The Expedition shawl collar so thought I'd try the cheaper one this time.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I have an Outdoor Knitwear Submariner in navy blue en route as well. How are they? I fancied the North Sea Clothing version, but I already have The Expedition shawl collar so thought I'd try the cheaper one this time.

I have a number of different sweaters from Outdoor Knitwear and they have all been excellent, so I am sure the one you have on order from them will be fine.

There is a thread on this Fedora Lounge forum in the World War 2 section all about Old style Raf/Submariner / White ( & Blue), roll neck sweaters which makes interesting reading.

It sounds like we will all get a genuine reason for wearing these heavy sweaters within the next few days, as according to the radio report I just heard, the UK will get a blast of some of the very cold weather they are having in the USA & Canada at the moment, although by the time it gets here it will have warmed up somewhat.

Last edited:

MJCR

One of the Regulars
The Outdoor Knitwear Submariner arrived today and it's fantastic, but sadly fantastically big as well! I went for the XXL as I was worried the XL might be a bit snug, but I'll have to send this one back and go for the smaller size. Not their fault, and it's a great sweater. Also, while they mention using British wool, they don't actually mention on the website that the sweaters are made in the UK, but they are, according to the label, which makes them even better value in my opinion.

Oh, they are very long sweaters, in case that helps anyone. The pictures on their website don't oversell the length.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
The Outdoor Knitwear Submariner arrived today and it's fantastic, but sadly fantastically big as well! I went for the XXL as I was worried the XL might be a bit snug, but I'll have to send this one back and go for the smaller size. Not their fault, and it's a great sweater. Also, while they mention using British wool, they don't actually mention on the website that the sweaters are made in the UK, but they are, according to the label, which makes them even better value in my opinion.

Oh, they are very long sweaters, in case that helps anyone. The pictures on their website don't oversell the length.

Pleased to hear the OKW Submariner arrived, but sorry it was the wrong size, I am sure it won't be a problem to change it for a smaller size though. I know they do satte that most of their sweaters are made from British wool and I do recall the manager was being interviwed on Radio 4 some years ago and he was saying that most of their pullovers were made in the UK too and I think that is still the case today which is great. Hope the replacement will be ok.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many

Did you get your too large Submariner sweater replaced ok with a smaller sized one?

MJCR

One of the Regulars
I decided not to get another Outdoor Knitwear sweater as the length of the XL is the same as the XXL. The refund was very quick, however I hadn't realised they withhold UK customers a £7.50 postage charge! It does seem to be in their terms of sale, although in the UK I'm not sure it's entirely legal.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I decided not to get another Outdoor Knitwear sweater as the length of the XL is the same as the XXL. The refund was very quick, however I hadn't realised they withhold UK customers a £7.50 postage charge! It does seem to be in their terms of sale, although in the UK I'm not sure it's entirely legal.

Shame about the problems with the Outdoor Knitwear Pullover. Maybe you can a more suitable alternative elsewhere.

I think that most mail order/web order firms do say that if you are returning goods they don't also refund the original postage too. I have noticed that many times.

Hope you find another sweater in due course.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Not the end of the world re: Outdoor Knitwear, just a shame as it's a nice sweater. I'm considering the Crystal Knitwear one, as it seems very similar (although not MOD issue as with the Outdoor Knitwear), if they can send the exact chest measurements. Failing that I'll splurge on the North Sea Clothing version.

Re: North Sea Clothing, I have the Expedition, which is fantastic, and they seem to be a bit shorter:

8587ad6ab925eb2d395773af9e4e7a38_zpsef0c8d2e.jpg

Minor disaster at the weekend though, I managed to pull the button off (long story)! Now I need to figure out the best way of stitching it back on. It's essentially knitted in place, by the looks of it, so might need better sewing skills than mine.

Last edited:

Will015

Familiar Face
Find a knitter near you. You could look up an adult-ed knitting class. I'm sure the instructor could either fix it or would know someone that would.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Find a knitter near you. You could look up an adult-ed knitting class. I'm sure the instructor could either fix it or would know someone that would.

My other half has found somewhere she thinks does repairs on woollens. Also, and this is slightly sad of me, but I asked my mother! She had some good suggestions for doing it properly, so I may have a crack at it myself.

It makes me sad without it's button:

2epu8u9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
My other half has found somewhere she thinks does repairs on woollens. Also, and this is slightly sad of me, but I asked my mother! She had some good suggestions for doing it properly, so I may have a crack at it myself.

It makes me sad without it's button:

2epu8u9e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's never too late to ask your mother.

Shame about the button, I'm sure it won't be a problem to get it fixed though. That looks a really nice sweater.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
After the mention of Black Sheep Knitwear, I bought a pair of their gloves this week, when I managed to lose one of my old black wool Barbour pair. Very impressed, excellent value at £6. I know it's the wrong thread, but I thought folks considering a sweater might like to see the wool?

Moss Green:

anazy5a4.jpg

ajerunap.jpg

They don't seem to do a sweater in this colour, but I'd have one in a shot if honey ever do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner