Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishermen's sweaters site

Corto

A-List Customer
The other sweaters that were used more often in recent years in the Army, Navy & Air Force, plus some police and security services & other uniformed roles, are the traditional "Woolly Pully" Sweaters...

Stevieboy, I'm well acquainted with your WP's...best all around sweater on the planet. Outdoor Knitwear has made a small fortune off of me!

In other news, I ordered a Chunkie. Looking forward to it eagerly, but patiently. This Polar Vortex ain't going anywhere for a while.

Corto

A-List Customer
That US navy sweater is very tempting! Orvis have a similar one, but three times the price (at

The Orvis version looks like it's built for comfort. Probably very high quality.
The cut is different as well. The Navy spec version available at Gr8gear (or Mitts Knits if you want to buy direct from the manufacturer) is a body hugging fit and very utilitarian. The wool is probably less soft than the Orvis version. Mine has put up with a fair amount of abuse and is still in perfect condition. Can't lose with either.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
The Orvis version looks like it's built for comfort. Probably very high quality.
The cut is different as well. The Navy spec version available at Gr8gear (or Mitts Knits if you want to buy direct from the manufacturer) is a body hugging fit and very utilitarian. The wool is probably less soft than the Orvis version. Mine has put up with a fair amount of abuse and is still in perfect condition. Can't lose with either.

Excellent! The Orvis one would be easier, in many ways, than buying from the USA, as they have a UK online store. Eastman's looks good as well. Thanks for the link to the Mitts Knits website as well. Much appreciated.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Has anyone had anything from the following?

http://www.andersen-andersen.com/?___store=default

http://www.shetlandknitwear.com/

Both do roll-neck and other kinds of Fishermen sweaters. The top one seems to be available from several places in the UK, but they're very expensive. They're highly recommended though on at least one other board I visit.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Don't know those two you mention, but there are a couple of others, Brittanyboutique.com and Calana Crafts, the latter does Shetland Knitwear from Scotland and the former does alot of French Nautical clothing, such as the navy Blue Breton sweaters with buttons on the left hand shoulder, they are every good. (One of my French masters at school had one.)

Last edited:

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Stevieboy, I'm well acquainted with your WP's...best all around sweater on the planet. Outdoor Knitwear has made a small fortune off of me!

In other news, I ordered a Chunkie. Looking forward to it eagerly, but patiently. This Polar Vortex ain't going anywhere for a while.

Your Chunkie will be worth the wait, I was wearing one of mine this morning. Now I am in one of my WPs from Outdoor Knitwear. :)

Corto

A-List Customer
Don't know those two you mention, but there are a couple of others, Brittanyboutique.com and Calana Crafts, the latter does Shetland Knitwear from Scotland and the former does alot of French Nautical clothing, such as the navy Blue Breton sweaters with buttons on the left hand shoulder, they are every good. (One of my French masters at school had one, mind you he he did have a habit of giving out alot of detentions for things we had not done - like my homework, all these years later it still irks me!):eek:

I have a Contentin trawler neck sweater from Brittany Boutique. Extremely high quality.

MJCR

One of the Regulars
Calana Crafts sweaters look like the Aero Harris wool sweaters. Anyone know if they're the manufacturer? Either way, they look great!

Last edited:

Corto

A-List Customer
That looks great!

I love trawler necks because they're so versatile. The Contentin's neck is very comfortable, even when zipped and doubled over. (The Das Boot is a tighter fit- in the neck, which suits me fine in Polar-Vortex-cold weather.) If my memory serves, the Contentin is a looser fit than the Das Boot, and the wool is a touch lighter and less rough. The Contentin is made by St. James, but if you buy them from the Brittany Boutique site, they're definitely less expensive! (Shhh! Don't tell anyone!)

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I just ordered a couple of chunkies from Pete at Sou West. A natural colour and a khaki. Both in a roll neck...looking forward to it. It's 37c(98f) and will be hitting 40c through the week...I'm in no rush..I've lived in very warm climates he last several winters, ( havent bought a jumper for 6 years!)I'm back in canberra, will hit minus regularly over winter, hoping these will ease the pain...

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I just ordered a couple of chunkies from Pete at Sou West. A natural colour and a khaki. Both in a roll neck...looking forward to it. It's 37c(98f) and will be hitting 40c through the week...I'm in no rush..I've lived in very warm climates he last several winters, ( havent bought a jumper for 6 years!)I'm back in canberra, will hit minus regularly over winter, hoping these will ease the pain...

I am sure you will like these two sweaters from Pete. They should do you well in the winter months. (You seem to get extremes of weather temps at the moment, I heard that in South Australia, Vic, NSW and I presume ACT the summer has been in parts, very very hot and dry indeed but the winters have been a lot colder than normal, perhaps all to do with the strange weather we are having world wide at the moment.) Anyway enjoy the jumpers.:)

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Cheers mate...yes, it's hot as hell, sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage ....horrible...then when it gets cold...it's cold.....looking forward to the chunkies. He has been wonderful to deal with..

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Cheers mate...yes, it's hot as hell, sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage ....horrible...then when it gets cold...it's cold.....looking forward to the chunkies. He has been wonderful to deal with..

Yes, Pete and Sou'West Chunkies are really good to do business with and their costs are very fair indeed. Stay cool, have a beer/wine.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I will be wearing one of my Sou'West Chunkies later and as it's infact sunny this morning and not raining for a change and as these sweaters are so warm, I don't think jacket will be necessary.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
Just got this delivered from Pete at Sou West Chunkies. It's not his work, a good friend of his got flooded for the umpteenth time, so he gave Pete his stock and threw the towel in. I'm waiting for 2 of Pete's jumpers, and he sent me this in the meantime. It's beautiful, the colour, the texture, the little bits of detail. I really love it. Pete's service is second to none. I highly recommend dealing with him if you get the chance. image.jpg

univibe88

One Too Many
I picked up one of the sweater's from Pete's friend also. As I understood Peter, those sweaters are his work that was being sold in the shop. He took them back when the shop closed, rather than his friend be stuck with the inventory.

I got a natural Jacob gansey. It's a cream color with some flecks of other colors. It's really beautiful and I'll get some pictures for you. I have a black chunkie on order, too. Peter is waiting for a new shipment of wool.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Good stuff...I've got a navy roll neck for me, and an olive green coming for my dad. Looking forward to it.

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
I picked up a Gansey from the same batch which is a little big and Pete gave me some instructions to shrink it down a little. I also have a Ecru chunkie on order as well and if that's spot on will get a navy and green as well. Peter is a nice guy to deal with and doesn't even take payment until you have received the item/s.

ebonysw45

One of the Regulars
He said in my case as it was too wide and too long and I quote. soak the body of the Gansey upto the armpits in a bath,sink etc,.of COLD WATER , remove and SQUEEZE SQUEEEEEZ E out as much water by hand as you can.
then lay it flat on a towel and leave to dry in that position,
dont pull it around and it will 'come in' . in both the length and the width. I have found through an online search that the best way to squeeze out the water is not to wring the jumper but to wrap it in a towel and compress the towel to remove the water, wringing is apparently bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko