Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishermen's sweaters site

univibe88

One Too Many
He said in my case as it was too wide and too long and I quote. soak the body of the Gansey upto the armpits in a bath,sink etc,.of COLD WATER , remove and SQUEEZE SQUEEEEEZ E out as much water by hand as you can.
then lay it flat on a towel and leave to dry in that position,
dont pull it around and it will 'come in' . in both the length and the width. I have found through an online search that the best way to squeeze out the water is not to wring the jumper but to wrap it in a towel and compress the towel to remove the water, wringing is apparently bad.

Thanks! I need to snug up mine a bit, too.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Well it's early November here in the UK and has been cold enough in the past couple of days to get the Sou'West Chunkies out again. They look and feel good (and save on the central heating costs too :) )

Dav

One Too Many
Funny you should say that, not half an hour ago I was thinking shall I turn the heating on, then I remembered the Chunkies, so inspired by the fact that I no longer have a beard so don't feel like Captain Birdseye when I were them, out one came of the draw and is now keeping me nice an toastie again! :)

SoundMan

New in Town
Thanks to everyone in this thread, which I first discovered towards the end of last winter. A huge and special thanks goes to Peter for his fantastic service and help.
For my birthday this October I decided I would like to be the proud owner of fine woollen garments from Sou'West Chunkies and ordered two Chunkies and a Gansey. The Gansey is Dorset Horn ecru and blue mix, a Herdwick grey Brown mix and a brown. The quality is first class and are very warm.

Really impressed and a full blog post will be made soon with photos. I will certainly be ordering more.

One thing for which I am to blame. I put the brown through the washing machine on a cool wash in a pillow case and did not put the machine on the 'wool' setting and it shrunk a bit. With Peter's advice I think I have been able to stretch it out. Will now tomorrow.

Soundman.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Thanks to everyone in this thread, which I first discovered towards the end of last winter. A huge and special thanks goes to Peter for his fantastic service and help.
For my birthday this October I decided I would like to be the proud owner of fine woollen garments from Sou'West Chunkies and ordered two Chunkies and a Gansey. The Gansey is Dorset Horn ecru and blue mix, a Herdwick grey Brown mix and a brown. The quality is first class and are very warm.

Really impressed and a full blog post will be made soon with photos. I will certainly be ordering more.

One thing for which I am to blame. I put the brown through the washing machine on a cool wash in a pillow case and did not put the machine on the 'wool' setting and it shrunk a bit. With Peter's advice I think I have been able to stretch it out. Will now tomorrow.

Soundman.

Welcome to the site.

Congratulations on your recent Sou,West purchases, I have some of Peter's fine sweaters, the service from him is great and the pullovers are great quality and keep you very warm indeed. :)

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab

Soundman.

Welcome, Soundman.
How does the wool look after the wash? The surface didn't become fuzzy or interlocked, did it? I'm curious because I'd like to wash my SWCs in the machine, too, rather than by hand.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I concur with Pete at Sou West chunkier. I bought one for Dad last year and ended up buying 2 for myself. They are a great bit of kit, and Pete is superb to deal with. He really is a gentleman, and gives great service.

univibe88

One Too Many

Soundman.

I look forward to the full blog post and pictures

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Welcome, Soundman.
How does the wool look after the wash? The surface didn't become fuzzy or interlocked, did it? I'm curious because I'd like to wash my SWCs in the machine, too, rather than by hand.

You will probably find that you do not have to wash these Sou' West Chunkies very often, but when you do, it is better I think to do it by hand.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
what's the average cost of one of these please as I can't see it on the site??

They are very reasonably priced, the most recent one I purchased, about 2 years ago I think, was under GBP £ 30.00. They will advise cost when you call to discuss your order. They will also make it to your exact size and specification. EG I asked for a Gansey & a Chunkie to have roll neck rather than round neck and that was not a problem at all. :)

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
They are extremely comfortable. They are quite soft wool. In this sense they are a contrast to the sweaters I usually wear (military Woolly Pullies , Guernseys), but a contrast is needed sometimes. They cling to the body very naturally. As a woolly aficionado, I have no doubts about endorsing these fine sweaters and I like wearing them.

SoundMan

New in Town
Many thanks for the welcome Stevieboy1,

I am more than happy with my purchases which are lovely and warm. Will make another order in the new year...

Welcome to the site.

Congratulations on your recent Sou,West purchases, I have some of Peter's fine sweaters, the service from him is great and the pullovers are great quality and keep you very warm indeed. :)

SoundMan

New in Town
Cheers Rabbit,

Well I have to admit to making a novice mistake with wool and while I put the jumper in a pillowcase, I had left the washing machine on a normal cotton wash and though I remembered to set the machine to cold wash, it had spun at full speed and it has shrunk a bit. I also tied the pillowcase instead of using two cases to ensure it stayed wrapped...

This meant it came out. Gone fractionally fuzzy but no big deal. I spoke to Peter and while it was wet I weighed it down and left to dry stretched out so all sorted.. I would wash in the machine again and I have learnt a lesson in how to do this. I will also try by hand, wool doesn't need to be washed regularly so will be a while before I do that again..

Welcome, Soundman.

SoundMan

New in Town
Pics are on the way, due to weekend weather being so bad I have left it until a bit nicer to take them. Will update you soon..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko