Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fishermen's sweaters site

CatsCan

Practically Family
I have a lot of different traditional scandinavian sweaters, mostly of a pattern called Islender. These were worn by norwegian, faroese and icelandic fishermen. I also wear the "newer" but inbetween also very traditional Iclandic Lopapeysa hand knit sweaters. The norwegian sheep wool is a bit more itchy. The islandic wool is very water and weather resistant and less itchy.
There are also still the traditional danish marine sweaters, still made in the same pattern as the ones made 100 years ago.

This is Tryggve Gran wearing a traditional nordic sweater in Antarctica 1911. You can still get these with exact this pattern. The Knitting Company still exists in Norway.

Tryggve Gran wearing Norwegian Sweater.jpg

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Further to the above post. I have now bought the Roll Neck Norwegian Sweater by our door knitwear. It is very well made and fits fine, the roll neck is lovely and snug fitting, it also has large roll back cuffs too. Another sweater to add to my collection. :)

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I have been wearing my Norwegian Wool crew/round neck and also the Roll neck over the past couple of days, but I am now wearing one of my Sou'West Chunkies sweaters, the big roll neck.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Does anyone know if Peter and Sou'west chunkies are still in business? I just looked on Google and the no longer came up. I hope he and they are ok.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I checked this morning and found that the website for SWC was no longer listed, as Steve said. Before I email Peter, has anyone else done so and if you have, what happened?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I checked this morning and found that the website for SWC was no longer listed, as Steve said. Before I email Peter, has anyone else done so and if you have, what happened?

Further to above posts, I have now emailed Peter at SWC, he has replied, it is a bit complicated, but for a number of reasons, partly CV, they are not making Chunkies right at this moment, hopefully things will change in the not too distant future. He said he would let me know.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Further to above posts, I have now emailed Peter at SWC, he has replied, it is a bit complicated, but for a number of reasons, partly CV, they are not making Chunkies right at this moment, hopefully things will change in the not too distant future. He said he would let me know.

SWC is really a ‘cottage industry’ and they have suffered a lot during the pandemic. It’s also in a very depressed area of the UK. I hope the firm survives and with it the hand knitted sweaters.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
I just received my CHUNKY Country Crew Sweater from OKW. I have never owned a chunky but I am super impressed with this jumper for the price.
Size down since they run big.
I purchased an XS. I am 5 10 15o lbs 32 waist.
View attachment 301436
View attachment 301439

That looks very nice. It closely resembles a Barbour jumper I’ve had for years. I hadn’t been aware of OKW’s chunky crew neck because I’ve been so focussed on their Woolly Pullies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko