Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fist bump vs hand shake

rue

That's funny, Rue... I got fist bumped the other night by a man. He put his out to shake, and as I apologized for my hands being dirty (I was at an event rolling cigars, so wet and covered in tobacco) and reached for my towel that I keep for just that reason, he says, "Well, fist bump then!" like it was a good alternative. I actually thought it was rather creative on his part, but I didn't think it any more appropriate under the circumstances!

lol What an odd thing to do.... I would have just said "how about just a wave?" :p

I've never seen anyone do it -- must be a cultural thing that hasn't reached this far yet. I'm not too keen on handshakes, either -- we New England folk tend not to care for too much physical contact. Personally, I prefer a deep, subservient bow, preferably accompanied by "I await your orders, madam."

:rofl: I would too, but I don't see it happening anytime in the near future.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I guess the cheek kissin' is out of the question, then! I'd never much thought about the greetings thing outside of the fact that I really really cannot bear a limp-wristed hand shake; eeeewww, it's like shaking a dead fish! I tend to extend my hand as a matter of course when meeting someone, so I guess that's my default, except for with my ballroom crowd, most of them being very touchy-feely tactile type people and European to boot, in which case hugs and cheek kissing is the default. I don't think I'd like the fist bump too much, something a bit too aggressive about it, and the hi-5 is so so out as it makes me think of Ali G! Think that's the gamut! :)

JimWagner

Practically Family
Must be a young person thing, the bump.

Never offered nor had anyone offer anything other than a straight handshake on meeting them, either initially or later.

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I might try to bring back the 'double high five'. It will really set me apart and get me noticed:

walking out of the office, I put my briefcase down and get right in the face of a co-worker walking in: "Hey! Great to see you! Ten, up top!"

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I don't think I've ever seen a woman fist bump, it seems more of a man thing, but the trend with women giving each other highs 5s really irritates me. I don't high 5 and I wouldn't fist bump. It's either a handshake or nothing [huh]

I once had a guy at a conference try to give me a fist-bump when we were talking. Specifically, my school used to be quite good in Basketball, and he being a fan, assumed that I was a fan. I only follow roughly what is going on with my school as far as sports (basically, when we fall out of the NCAA Championship if we get there, mainly so I can mock how bad we are). He said, "SU- you're a great b-ball school" and offered his fist, I just kind of stared at it for a minute, and he was like "You bump it." I don't know, it seemed kind of forward to me. I returned it (because it seemed rude not to), but he kept trying to do it everytime I saw him. He, a few days later when I was having a discussion with someone else about caring for older parents, attributed my reaction to being an only-child and because of this, having no social skills.

I like a handshake. If you are my male or female friend or a family member, I will hug you. But that is it.

rue

He, a few days later when I was having a discussion with someone else about caring for older parents, attributed my reaction to being an only-child and because of this, having no social skills.

What?? What an odd and rude thing to say. I'm not an only child and I can guarantee you that I won't be fist bumping. Sounds to me like he's an asshat.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Hand shake. Polite, proper, and respectful.

I am always shocked when grown adults feel a casual fist-bump is appropriate during introductions. Especially during first introductions. shakeshead

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What?? What an odd and rude thing to say. I'm not an only child and I can guarantee you that I won't be fist bumping. Sounds to me like he's an asshat.

I kind of got that vibe too. Being an only child, I've heard my share of horrible things said about only children, normally from strangers. Apparently I can't share, have no manners, and was/am spoilt. And I hate my parents for not giving me a sibling. I also must have had a pony. Although the weirdest comments come from people who know me and learn I am an only child, and then tell me they never would have thought I was an only child, because I am so generous, kind, sisterly, etc. I find it all somewhat hilarious, as being an only child growing up on a farm, it simply meant that I had to do all the "kids" work. I've learnt to ignore this, because the people who say these things apparently aren't too socially intelligent to say such things in the first place.

Come to think of it, there are a select group of people I might return a fist-bump to, but to me it is a gesture that is only done among close friends (and my friends aren't really fist-bumping people, at least towards me).

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

My parents saw me, realized that they'd bred perfection and gave up having more kids. Try and act serious when you say it, it's more fun that way.

Later

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Must be a young person thing, the bump.
barack-michelle-fist-bump.jpg

images
art_fist_bump.jpg

president-bush-fist-bump.gif

rick-warren-tony-blair-FIST-bump.jpg

Tatum

Practically Family
Everyone's take on this is so interesting! I honestly think the fist bump is downright silly.

An aside: as an only child as well, I am enjoying hearing others' thoughts on that. I find it amusing that people who have siblings assume all these things about those of us who didn't, it's like we have automatic character flaws because we are only children. Poppycock!

Feraud

Bartender
An aside: as an only child as well, I am enjoying hearing others' thoughts on that. I find it amusing that people who have siblings assume all these things about those of us who didn't, it's like we have automatic character flaws because we are only children. Poppycock!
Children from large families tend to overlook their personality quirks developed from growing up in a large family dynamic.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
He, a few days later when I was having a discussion with someone else about caring for older parents, attributed my reaction to being an only-child and because of this, having no social skills.

He sounds like a real charmer. Is he in IT?

Everyone's take on this is so interesting! I honestly think the fist bump is downright silly.

I am also an only child, although being raised in an extended family with other relations who were close to me in age, I missed the good bits of being spoilt etc.

And I also think the fist bump is a bit silly; I don't get it at all really.

juup

New in Town
When i was a teacher in Maine, I got a lot of kids wanting to fist bump. But i put the quabash on that really fast. I found though that as my classes grew in popularity the kids started coming around to my way of doing things. My last year there, having taught for 10 years, I had no offers of fist bumps but good firm handshakes from male students and more delicate from female.

I grew up bi-religious (dad was Latter Day Saint and mom was jewish) for the most part both are non touchy-feely cultures. When coupled with my dads career in the USAF, it seemed "job well done" was greeted with a handshake. I don't like how everyone needs a trophy and some gregarious bump/slap/high five for doing what is expected of them. Its even worse now that I'm working in Probation and Parole. Thank Goddess I've got my writing.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy