Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check: Aero Highwayman 36

diecianni

New in Town
Hi there

I picked up my first leather jacket this week: it's an Aero Highwayman, size 36. Before ordering, I compared the actual measurements to a jacket I already own.

The jacket feels good in the arms and shoulders, and the length is OK. I can't tell whether the chest is a little too tight, or if that's how it should fit.

If I put my shoulders back, like when my arms are behind my back, and the jacket is zipped up, it feels tight in the chest. But this may just be how leather jackets feel, since there's no give in the fabric.

Pictures attached, thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_8023.PNG
    IMG_8023.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 424
  • IMG_8018.PNG
    IMG_8018.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 440
  • IMG_8024.PNG
    IMG_8024.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 431
  • IMG_8020.PNG
    IMG_8020.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 427
  • IMG_8019.PNG
    IMG_8019.PNG
    2.9 MB · Views: 397
  • IMG_8021.PNG
    IMG_8021.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 429

mvilla

A-List Customer
I think I agree it is a little tight on chest area, which I think is the cause for the creases I highlighted... Looks like the sleeve seams are being pulled too (circled area). Maybe you'd benefit from a larger pit to pit

Screenshot_20230622_131422_Samsung Internet~2.jpg

AHP91

Practically Family
I think I agree it is a little tight on chest area, which I think is the cause for the creases I highlighted... Looks like the sleeve seams are being pulled too (circled area). Maybe you'd benefit from a larger pit to pit

View attachment 527334
I agree, probably a little tight, even though it looks fine. Lots of people on the forum will go for the super trim, T-shirt only jacket fit, but I've learned it's always better to be a little too big than small. If discomfort will discourage you from wearing a particular jacket, go with another size.

Anyway, "fashion trends" change, and it's no longer necessary to wear super trim, short jackets, as much as some other people might tell you.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
It looks a little tight in the chest when zipped, but not horribly so. How tight does it feel? If you can still move around, I'd probably keep it.

diecianni

New in Town
Thanks everyone. I’ll take it for a spin around the block and see how it feels. I agree that it’s better to be a little too big than too small. Worried that a bigger size will be too big round the waist.

diecianni

New in Town
So I thought I’d order a 38” version to compare, and while I gain a little on the pit-to-pit, which feels less tight on the chest, I now have a big bulge around the waist - probably 3” extra space.

Maybe it’s just my body shape that doesn’t suit a leather jacket that well. I think I’ll keep the 36” jacket and see how it feels in a few months. I got it for a great price in the sale, so I can always sell it on if I need to.

calvin006

New in Town
On the 36", everything looks right except for the slight tightness in the chess that others have mentioned. And I expect that's only an issue when fully zipped. You could just go unzipped or half zip most of the time I would think.

If you're gong for a trim fit, it may be hard to get that perfectly with off the rack, especially from Aero. I'm pretty slim and I like a trim fit, and many of the Aero jackets that are right for me in the shoulders and chest are often too big in the waist for a trim fit.

You also have to consider the different fit of different Aero jackets. The Highwayman is described as a "relaxed" fit, others are meant to be a slim fit. Different styles have different fits and there's a thread about this.

If the chest tightness is only minor, then I expect this will improve as the leather breaks in. If it's CXL, I understand that's quite stiff when new.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So I thought I’d order a 38” version to compare, and while I gain a little on the pit-to-pit, which feels less tight on the chest, I now have a big bulge around the waist - probably 3” extra space.

This is how the Highwayman is supposed to fit. It's an intentionally boxy jacket. If you size it such that it feels trim, then nothing will fit.

You're best off returning both of them and getting a "Premier Highwayman" in 38. The Highwayman will never fit the way you want.

If you're gong for a trim fit, it may be hard to get that perfectly with off the rack, especially from Aero. I'm pretty slim and I like a trim fit, and many of the Aero jackets that are right for me in the shoulders and chest are often too big in the waist for a trim fit.

Aero has a very wide range of jackets. I'm not sure why it would be hard to get a trim one off the rack.

It sounds like you (like the OP) have been buying Aero jackets that are designed for a boxy fit, when you should be buying models that are either slim-straight (like the Board Racer or Ridley) with a sort of Y shape and 4-6 inch drop or sharply V-tapered (like the Indian Ranger, which has a 10 inch drop).

calvin006

New in Town
Aero has a very wide range of jackets. I'm not sure why it would be hard to get a trim one off the rack.

They do. I should clarify: some of the Aero styles I'm interested in don't seem to have the fit I want. This is mostly based on their "ready to wear" pages that have measurements. But some of it is guesswork without trying something on.

Aloysius

They do. I should clarify: some of the Aero styles I'm interested in don't seem to have the fit I want. This is mostly based on their "ready to wear" pages that have measurements. But some of it is guesswork without trying something on.

Ah, I think I understand what you mean. You like, say, the pocket layout or collar shape on some jackets that are of the more boxy variety?

They can hook you up for some of those. Like they have a model (whose name eludes me) which is basically the Highwayman layout on the cafe racer pattern, things like that.

One of my Aeros is a similar deal.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Maybe it's me having too high expectations / standards, but it would make things easier for all customers if they simply had a clear measurements chart (within tolerance) for all models and all sizes. At least pit to pit, waist, hem, shoulder. Although it would be nice to know some of the sleeve measurements as well like bicep width, forearm width, cuff width etc.. Sleeve length and back length are variable anyway.

Although what I understood during my communication with Aero so far is not only that they don't show this information - they don't even have it themselves because they don't keep it. Which is absolutely bizarre to me.

Currently you just have to research on your own, ask around forums, find existing jackets in certain sizes and track down numbers or try your best getting some basic information from Aero themselves to improve your guessing game.

MrProper

Maybe it's me having too high expectations / standards, but it would make things easier for all customers if they simply had a clear measurements chart (within tolerance) for all models and all sizes. At least pit to pit, waist, hem, shoulder. Although it would be nice to know some of the sleeve measurements as well like bicep width, forearm width, cuff width etc.. Sleeve length and back length are variable anyway.

Although what I understood during my communication with Aero so far is not only that they don't show this information - they don't even have it themselves because they don't keep it. Which is absolutely bizarre to me.

Currently you just have to research on your own, ask around forums, find existing jackets in certain sizes and track down numbers or try your best getting some basic information from Aero themselves to improve your guessing game.
For the ready to wear jackets, the dimensions are specified and all other jackets are only made to order. And there I am cared for and advised as a customer and get the jacket according to my measurements. In this respect, it is rather secondary whether I have a size chart or not. At least for me, that's the way it is.

Mich486

One Too Many
Yes it’d be massively helpful to have a size chart and I also got that reply that they don’t keep that info in the past when I enquired. It is strange but I suppose it explains why some jackets in the rtw section have pretty different p2p and shoulders (>1” differences) even in the same size.

Even for a custom order normally is mostly lengthening/shortening sleeves and back length and maybe take in the waist a little. Knowing where to start from would definitely help.

diecianni

New in Town
Thanks all for the insightful responses. On the topic of overall Highwayman, I found the conventional wisdom to be “buy one size below your usual”.

I’m usually a 36, which would suggest this should be a little big on me. I’m not convinced that sizing up would fit me better, it would just leave a large gap around the waist.

The thing I particularly love about this jacket is the patina. It’s broken in so nicely, without any damage, and I got it for a great price (£360). If I wanted the premier highwayman I’d lose the patina, and pay around 3 times as much. With all that in mind, and the fact that I do love how it looks, I think I’ll stick with it.

While it does feel a little tight in the chest, but only when fully zipped, I’ve worn it around the house with a sweater and a shirt, and it doesn’t feel too restricting.

Thanks again for all the help

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Mich486
For me Aero is the opposite of Vanson in this perspective.
Vanson takes pride in keeping a clear precise record of all jackets, sizes and all previous orders in terms of all measurements. At least that's the impression I got when watching Vanson videos.
Aero doesn't even seem to know the stock bottom hem measurement of any model or any size. As if it's random each time.
I'm sure it's not exactly like that, but that's the impression I got from communicating with Aero.
Maybe it's related to keeping measurements a secret to prevent from copying. I don't know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner