Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check on new Aero Maxwell with some mods

onstar

One of the Regulars
After a 11 week wait and a surprise duty tax, it finally arrived. New Aero Maxwell with a big swing.
I am 5'11'' and weigh ~ 210 pounds. Bench 350 and shoulder press 250. Jacket size is 42

Overall the jacket fits pretty well with a tshirt. With layering, I noticed there are some restrictions in the shoulder area. I think another member mentioned that the Maxwell has a small armpit opening. I found out that this was very true. It is not easy to put on or take out. Only thing I dont like about it is that it can be snug under the armpits.

I also noticed a slight cut mark on the right flank side strap, can I ask Aero for a discount or refund on this? I know this would bother me in a few years

Attachments

• 20231127_192445.jpg
    20231127_192445.jpg
    574.7 KB · Views: 277
  • 20231127_193353.jpg
    20231127_193353.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 277
  • 20231127_214120.jpg
    20231127_214120.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 259
  • 20231127_214155.jpg
    20231127_214155.jpg
    430.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 20231127_214513.jpg
    20231127_214513.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 234
  • 20231127_214546.jpg
    20231127_214546.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 237
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 275

Nacho

Practically Family
After a 11 week wait and a surprise duty tax, it finally arrived. New Aero Maxwell with a big swing.
I am 5'11'' and weigh ~ 210 pounds. Bench 350 and shoulder press 250. Jacket size is 42

Overall the jacket fits pretty well with a tshirt. With layering, I noticed there are some restrictions in the shoulder area. I think another member mentioned that the Maxwell has a small armpit opening. I found out that this was very true. It is not easy to put on or take out. Only thing I dont like about it is that it can be snug under the armpits.

I also noticed a slight cut mark on the right flank side strap, can I ask Aero for a discount or refund on this? I know this would bother me in a few years

Damn, that's some solid-ass bench and press numbers for a 210-pounder. Do you do the traditional Olympic press with the hip bounce or strict press all the way? Your deadlift and squat must be big then. I can see some squad, hammies and glute in the pics.

Nice jacket btw! :cool:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Jacket looks nice, however it does not look comfortable at all on you. How is the fit with fewer layers, does it ever "even out" on you? I would not think of this as a particularly good fit, TBH.

Nice work in the gym. At my age I'm not concerned with the #'s so much, just maintain, slowly building in a sustainable way. My personal #1 priority in the gym is flexibility & mobility - which, unfortunately, this jacket is not helping you with.

onstar

One of the Regulars
Jacket looks nice, however it does not look comfortable at all on you. How is the fit with fewer layers, does it ever "even out" on you? I would not think of this as a particularly good fit, TBH.

Nice work in the gym. At my age I'm not concerned with the #'s so much, just maintain, slowly building in a sustainable way. My personal #1 priority in the gym is flexibility & mobility - which, unfortunately, this jacket is not helping you with.
First pic I had on a blue sweater underneath. Third Pic I had an under shirt on.
And what do you mean by "even out"?

onstar

One of the Regulars
Damn, that's some solid-ass bench and press numbers for a 210-pounder. Do you do the traditional Olympic press with the hip bounce or strict press all the way? Your deadlift and squat must be big then. I can see some squad, hammies and glute in the pics.

Nice jacket btw! :cool:
I do everything, but mostly olympic lifts- Snatch/Clean Jerk and Skuats

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think the sleeve looks nice, all my jackets have snug armpit, it makes better range of movement in it, I think it is a matter of getting used to.

barnabus

One Too Many
I agree. It looks too snug for my taste.

But as always, it doesn't matter what people say as much as how it feels to wear.

Is it comfortable? Could you layer under it if you wanted to? Do you feel more confident wearing it, or less?

The imprint on the half belt is a nothing. The jacket will pick up many more marks through wear to build character and patina. I wouldn't worry.

onstar

One of the Regulars
I agree. It looks too snug for my taste.

But as always, it doesn't matter what people say as much as how it feels to wear.

Is it comfortable? Could you layer under it if you wanted to? Do you feel more confident wearing it, or less?

The imprint on the half belt is a nothing. The jacket will pick up many more marks through wear to build character and patina. I wouldn't worry.
It pinches my armpits sometimes with a layer underneath. Otherwise he fit is good. Not sure if a 44 would be too boxy?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
First pic I had on a blue sweater underneath. Third Pic I had an under shirt on.
And what do you mean by "even out"?
So in my experience with Aero's made of CXL FQHH or CXL Steerhide, once the jacket has been on me for ~ 15 minutes, the waxy leather warms up and softens a bit. It almost starts to "drape" which is kind of a funny concept with Horween CXL leather. I guess that's my definition for "even out".

To my eyes it looks a little tight in the mid section and the pit to pit area. However I have not ever owned a leather jacket that is button up, so it's little different fit & feel.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@onstar
Button up all the buttons and wear it for a while and then take some new fit photos.
Is your jacket jerky horsehide? Some jerky horsehide starts off a bit stiffer but they break in (soften) very fast. Wear it with all the buttons all closed up to break it in. This will help the collar notch lapel to rest down onto the chest too.

Only two buttons like your fit photo, with some weird creases:
IMG_4117.jpg

All buttoned up (flattens and smoother than two buttons)
IMG_4514.jpg

I think you can also go up a size to 44 but a 42 with an action back can also work. Maxwell is versatile like that. It would depends on how much you want to layer underneath. But I would advise against thick layering under it, maybe a vest, but not the full mid layer fleece. The 50s cuts are probably better suited for the heavy layering.

With all Aero jackets, you've gotta give it some wear and some time. Actually with all horsehide jackets this is the case. If it looks awesome fitting on day one then it's most likely too small and you won't want to wear it again. Horsehide jackets all starts off a bit loose and weird and then one day they become your jacket and it just clicks. Cowhides are easier wearing from day one, but horsehide can give you a deeper connection in the long run.

onstar

One of the Regulars
@onstar
Button up all the buttons and wear it for a while and then take some new fit photos.
Is your jacket jerky horsehide? Some jerky horsehide starts off a bit stiffer but they break in (soften) very fast. Wear it with all the buttons all closed up to break it in. This will help the collar notch lapel to rest down onto the chest too.

Only two buttons like your fit photo, with some weird creases:
View attachment 565373
All buttoned up (flattens and smoother than two buttons)
View attachment 565374

I think you can also go up a size to 44 but a 42 with an action back can also work. Maxwell is versatile like that. It would depends on how much you want to layer underneath. But I would advise against thick layering under it, maybe a vest, but not the full mid layer fleece. The 50s cuts are probably better suited for the heavy layering.

With all Aero jackets, you've gotta give it some wear and some time. Actually with all horsehide jackets this is the case. If it looks awesome fitting on day one then it's most likely too small and you won't want to wear it again. Horsehide jackets all starts off a bit loose and weird and then one day they become your jacket and it just clicks. Cowhides are easier wearing from day one, but horsehide can give you a deeper connection in the long run.
You think Aero can make a 1950s halfbelt with buttons?

I also have a Schott 641 HH 42 and fits like a glove. Very mobile in the shoulders. Only issue now is that it is getting tight around the waist.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
You think Aero can make a 1950s halfbelt with buttons?

I also have a Schott 641 HH 42 and fits like a glove. Very mobile in the shoulders. Only issue now is that it is getting tight around the waist.
They probably already do. You'd have to check with them to find out. I didn't know Maxwell is basically a buttoned version of the 1930s Half Belt until recently either. So I will assume the same treatment has been done with the 50s pattern. Teamster comes to mind, but I am not familiar with that jacket. Still trying to find an inexpensive used one myself to check it out first.

I've only had 618HH and 613US, size 42 and 44, respectively. If the 641HH fits similar to its xzip cousin then I would assume you need size 44.

I would suggest to live with your Maxwell for a while first. Keep notes every time you wear it, likes and dislikes, and revisit it in the spring. Judging a brand new horsehide jacket never pays, no matter what brand it is.

onstar

One of the Regulars
I think i know why this jacket feels kinda tight..

I gained 10 pounds from the time i measured and time to completed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner