Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit check on this leather jacket, please

Booneville

New in Town
Hello,

Just got this jacket from Iron & Resin. I was initially after a Schott 530, but it is too short in length and sleeves. (I am 6'2".)

This Iron & Resin is longer in sleeves and overall, but feels a bit tight. The leather is a thick (1.2/1.3mm) steerhide. Do you think it will stretch with wear?

The pictures below are with a sweatshirt underneath.

Thanks,

Attachments

• front-zipped.jpg
    front-zipped.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 370
  • front-zipped2.jpg
    front-zipped2.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 358
  • front-open.jpg
    front-open.jpg
    609.3 KB · Views: 328
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    508.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Sleeve length looks fine but by the way you are posturing, it does not look very comfortable and too restrictive in the shoulder area. May get better with wear when the leather relaxes. May just as well not.

Sizing up is no option though, jacket already wide at the bottom hem. Maybe the wrong pattern for you. Maybe look at another maker whos patterns are more giving in the shoulder area. My best advice, return this and buy a Vanson.

Booneville

New in Town
I think it does look a bit tight over the chest. It won’t stretch much. Is it uncomfortable to wear zipped up?
It's not uncomfortable when zipped up. It just feels a bit tight - compared to my lightweight lambskin jacket which measures the same pit-to-pit.

Booneville

New in Town
Sleeve length looks fine but by the way you are posturing, it does not look very comfortable and too restrictive in the shoulder area. May get better with wear when the leather relaxes. May just as well not.

Sizing up is no option though, jacket already wide at the bottom hem. Maybe the wrong pattern for you. Maybe look at another maker whos patterns are more giving in the shoulder area. My best advice, return this and buy a Vanson.

Which specific Vanson in a similar cut (cafe racer)? Schotts don't work for me as they are short overall and in sleeves.

Looks to be a safe pattern CR. Little to no taper from chest to waist, which in my view is the opposite of what a CR should do. I’d go with the above advice and return it for an actual CR, rather than something like this, which merely takes a bit of a safe approach to the design. Fit is not a terrible fit by any means, but there’s only so much this jacket can do.

Damon141

Practically Family
The last picture looks best, sometimes most of us stand for these fit pictures in a straight as a board unnatural position, I know I do.

Some are better at a natural way of standing which makes the jacket look more natural.
Marc might have some suggestions on that with his trio of side by side pics

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
yeah, you need half size bigger in chest and at best can keep waist and bottom as is, but probably could come down a little bit. Probably not the right design for you from this particular brand.

And generally speaking, leather isn't going to stretch much. There's some stuff you can do to maybe eek out a little bit more ease, but generally what's meant by "breaking in" is more draping and flexibility, assuming it's sized right to start with. It's not going to grow much unless you put it under extreme stress, i.e. get it wet, wear it over a hoodie, stuff it with pillows, etc. And even then, the gains might be temporary and/or cause some issues down the road.

jglf

A-List Customer
Looks a little tight in the chest and loose in the waist. That’s the opposite of how I like my leather jackets to fit.

bvbellomo2

New in Town
My fit jacket from thurston-bros was so small I almost returned it - I thought I'd rip it by either trying to get my arm in even trying it on unzipped. In the first 24 hours, it stretched considerably, and I am glad I did not size up (although I have yet to get the final jacket). I do feel a little bad, as the next person trying this fit jacket might feel it is too big.

Taper is a personal decision, and depends on your body (mostly hip to should ratio). You aren't going to fix this beyond a certain point even losing weight or gaining muscle.

If this were me, I'd be okay with this jacket, but prefer tighter around the waist, especially if you plan to wear it zipped. I think the top will losen up, and I would not size up.

chollie

One of the Regulars
If you want a Schott, the 141 comes in long sizes, which I believe adds 2" in the body and one in the sleeves.

barnabus

One Too Many
Everyone's said it already, but your I&R jacket fits about as well as this can on you. Sizing up would be a mistake as there's already plenty of space at the waistband. Everything about it looks really good, but if you're uncomfortable then you'll need to look at a different cut from a different maker.

So to reiterate, everyone's said it already!

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The fit looks uncomfortable to me. As Schott goes, have you looked at the 141 Long?

The 530 that you liked is just a spinoff of the 141 with a different (IMO worse, though still good) leather and alpha sizing. If you like the 530 except for length, just get the 141 Long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk