Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit comparison Aero vs 1947 half belt vs M-422A

fishmeok

Vendor
Thought this might be interesting to some of you. This is a vsiual comparison of the fit between these three jackets. The Aero is a modified Bootlegger (thanks Jack!!), the gaberdine half belt is an original circa 1947 and the M-422A is an original. The Aero is marked a 42 and the others are not tagged, but I'm 6' 35/36 shirt sleeve size so I am confident they are 46's. The most interesting thing to me is the pit to pit spread:
M-422A: 23', Gab half belt: 24", Aero: 26"

Cheers
Mark

CompDown987.jpg

CompDown996.jpg

CompDown988.jpg

CompDown995.jpg

CompDown990.jpg

CompDown993.jpg
[/quote]

CompDown1002.jpg

CompDown1001.jpg

CompDown1003.jpg
[/quote]

jon z

One of the Regulars
IMO all three jackets are too wide for you across the top half of the trunk, the Aero especially. I've yet to see an Aero that fits as well as the equivalent period jacket. They just seem to get it consistently wrong. Either that or there is something wrong with me as there are so many Aero fans on here who seem happy with, what seems to me, excess material across the top half of their backs.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
This is interesting. I'm surprised at the 26" for the 42 Bootlegger. My Aero Anniversary repro A-2 (15142-P) is a tagged size 42, and it measures 23.5" pit to pit. This is in line with the measurements of your two vintage jackets. Is the Bootlegger intended to be a more boxy pattern?

Thanks for posting the pictures, Mark.

Mac

Edward

Bartender
I'm curious about the sizing thing myself - I'm waiting for a slightly modified Bootlegger to arrive this month (zipper in the chest pocket, internal G1 style pockets, cuffs altered to 30s Halfbelt style). I'm tying myself in knots about the fitting. Initially I was advised a 40, but when I re-measured myself I was a couple of inches larger than I thought, so we're going 42 now. Really not sure what to expect. I don't want something skin-tight, but not too baggy either.... guess I'll soon find out!

skippymchaggis

New in Town
i'm not an expert, but i'd say they're all great jackets. as far as jacket fits go, i think they all look great as well. this seems like an apples to oranges to peaches comparison.

as to the comments about too much material in the Aero's shoulders, it looks to be slightly too big, but only just. (and i think this jacket is on it's second owner, so fit shouldn't be the maker's fault.) also, the bi-swing back is going to add material there, so "extra material" is what it was designed to have.

i would say it's all personal aesthetics at this point as to which one looks the best. the bootlegger looks to be about the clean lines and trim fit. the gaberdine looks like a well made, well tailored coat. the M-422A looks, to my not-educated-in-military-leather-jacket-history eye to be a great bomber jacket. i would wear them all for different reasons in different venues.

tonypaj

Practically Family
You're comparing 3 different cuts with three different materials (leather, gabardine, leather with wool knits). Obviously things will look different. As stated above, the bi-swing back will look wider, and especially with the thick leather that Aero uses. Also the Aero seems pretty new, so the effect is even more there.

The gabardine jacket looks nice, but to me it is also clearly at least a size bigger than the Aero. I like the way they've dealt with the half-belt, but that is probably not possible with leather. Also the gabardine jacket is longer, more Aero's LHB type. I like the cut of this jacket a lot and look forward to seeing a copy made by yourself, preferably in thinner whatever nice hide that you can find. Please make it in size 44... :)

All that the military jacket shows to me is that it seems to have bi-swing back, as well, and thus more material than the gabardine one. But it really cannot be compared to the others otherwise.

fishmeok

Vendor
That was my point- I thought it would be interesting to see three different types of jackets and how the fit and sizing can vary between the styles, yet still fit the same person. The Bootlegger is only on loan for a bit from the original owner, it's not my jacket, and to be fair to Aero it is a custom job with a G-1 bi-swing back.

I was looking at it again last night and it seems to me the reason the pit to pit measurment is so enourmous is that they did not blend the two back designs- the bi-swing and half belt side panels should be reduced by about 2" to keep the jacket proportioned.

The M-422A is essentially a WWII half belt with a bi-swing back and knit waist- there is no elasticity left in the knits so it is not gathered at the waist.

If anyone else out there has some pics of themelves wearing larger sized originals I would love to see them- this is important...:)
Cheers
Mark

tonypaj

Practically Family
fishmeok said:
I was looking at it again last night and it seems to me the reason the pit to pit measurment is so enourmous is that they did not blend the two back designs- the bi-swing and half belt side panels should be reduced by about 2" to keep the jacket proportioned.

I have a LHB (with a bi-swing back that comes with the design) and a Hercules (with a bi-swing back added) both size 42. They measure exactly the same. BTW, I can't believe that I measured something, first time in my life, and it will be the last...

Aero may have done what you said with this particular jacket, or it could also be as simple as that the Bootlegger design is a bit odd or off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot