Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fixed in a Jiffy

The only kettle we have in the house is a whistler which doesn't work for steaming - I decided to splurge on a Jiffy J-1 hat steamer. I love this thing. Wonder how many of you have one or something like it? Price was 99 dollars delivered from this dealer. I gave it a test run today to perk up this little Borsalino that arrived a little tired from its trip through ebay.

jiffy.jpg

daddy_and_sophie.jpg

Chinaski

One Too Many
I've never used one but would love to have one. I think I saw a posting from Deputy Swoopy and he said he has one, and there are probably a few others here as well...

I have thought about getting one but figured that my wife would know the jig was up and that I needed an intervention.

Jeff

<smile> My wife is costume designer and she turned me on to this... but she definitely knows I need intervention too. It can take all sorts of accessories to steam other stuff.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Bought a pro model Jiffy steamer from a western wear shop that was closing about ten years ago. It's the ONLY way to go to get the crease right in a hat!! I like that Borso ALOT, color , ribbon and crease are just right and work well on you ! :)

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
When I visited Worth & Worth in NYC on my vacation last summer, I got to see one of those (and use it on the hat I bought). Sweet sweet nice... I wish I could shell out for one of those, but then again it's the price of one or two really nice vintage hats. Can't justify it just yet.

(P.S. Alan, thanks for the help in that PM!)

Cheers,

T Rick

Practically Family
The Borso looks great! I am sure I'll get a steamer eventually. Was looking at the model Jimmy The Lid uses (he shared which one he has with us in the last part of the Teardrop Crease Workshop I think it was, I believe it was a Rowenta- then again, Jiffy is THE name in steamers if my early career in retail clothing taught me anything). About the same money from what I've seen, I'd be inclined to go with something with a hose (what you have is probably better for strictly hat use). The hose would enable me to use it on my Nat Nast silk shirts. A steaming now and then could save me a fortune on dry cleaning those, to freshen up and touch up and wear once more between dry cleanings.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The Borso looks great! I am sure I'll get a steamer eventually. Was looking at the model Jimmy The Lid uses (he shared which one he has with us in the last part of the Teardrop Crease Workshop I think it was, I believe it was a Rowenta- then again, Jiffy is THE name in steamers if my early career in retail clothing taught me anything). About the same money from what I've seen, I'd be inclined to go with something with a hose (what you have is probably better for strictly hat use). The hose would enable me to use it on my Nat Nast silk shirts. A steaming now and then could save me a fortune on dry cleaning those, to freshen up and touch up and wear once more between dry cleanings.

Check here as they have Jiffy steamers at discounted prices, the J4000H pro hat steamer is LESS than a vintage OR in mint shape :)
http://www.irawoods.com/Shop-by-Brand/Jiffy-Professional-Steamers

buler

I'll Lock Up
Alan, the hat turned out great. I agree that a steamer of some sort is a great addition for caring for our hats. I happened upon this vintage model.

B

jiffy_1.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I agree that a steamer of some sort is a great addition for caring for our hats. I happened upon this vintage model.

B

Tragically, however, that model can only be used with vintage water -- which is extremely hard to come by...

Stan

A-List Customer
Hi,

Fortunately, all water on this space rock is auto-recycled and therefore always very, very vintage! :p

I have one of these Jiffy Steamers as well, along with quite a few other hatter tools. It does work quite well, although I can do equally well with an old style tea kettle on a gas stovetop.

The best features are that it heats quickly and produces a large volume of steam for as long as you need it. You can get there using an old-style large teakettle on a gas stove if you use a small amount of water in the kettle.

Using a small kettle or an electric stove does not do well by comparison. Electric has too much latency (heats too slowly and won't change heat quickly enough to set the steam volume as needed). A small teakettle can't hold enough volume of water with low enough depth to heat quickly and yet have enough water to run long enough to do the job.

I mention the teakettle as I have an old one and a gas stove and used it with success equal to the Jiffy for quite a while. I happen to have a gas stove, and found an old, large, kettle at a yard sale. Eventually, though, I went for a Jiffy as I was setting up a hat workbench in the corner of the garage and didn't want to have to trek into the house for steaming duties. ;)

Once you have a Jiffy, you won't want to revert to the stove and kettle method. Being able to just flip the switch and have steam in under 20 seconds, and having the steam run without fear of running out of water for as long as you need, will spoil you.

Just make sure to use distilled water in the Jiffy. The heating element is small and will quickly crud up using tap water. That, BTW, is a feature of a kettle - it can use tap water as it's slow to crud up and easy to clean with a little vinegar. The Jiffy is pretty unforgiving in this respect. Fortunately, distilled water is cheap and on the shelves of every grocery store. :)

later!

Stan

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Tragically, however, that model can only be used with vintage water -- which is extremely hard to come by...

No doubt there are a few people around here who have a good source for vintage water. Just don't count on them giving it up! ;)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Alan, the hat turned out great. I agree that a steamer of some sort is a great addition for caring for our hats. I happened upon this vintage model.

B

jiffy_1.jpg

That's EXACTLY the type I picked up !! Works great and I love to go outside and watch my electric meter go nuts when I turn it on !! Was made WAY BEFORE "Energy Star" was thought of !! :)

Hi,

Fortunately, all water on this space rock is auto-recycled and therefore always very, very vintage! :p

I have one of these Jiffy Steamers as well, along with quite a few other hatter tools. It does work quite well, although I can do equally well with an old style tea kettle on a gas stovetop.

The best features are that it heats quickly and produces a large volume of steam for as long as you need it. You can get there using an old-style large teakettle on a gas stove if you use a small amount of water in the kettle.

Using a small kettle or an electric stove does not do well by comparison. Electric has too much latency (heats too slowly and won't change heat quickly enough to set the steam volume as needed). A small teakettle can't hold enough volume of water with low enough depth to heat quickly and yet have enough water to run long enough to do the job.

I mention the teakettle as I have an old one and a gas stove and used it with success equal to the Jiffy for quite a while. I happen to have a gas stove, and found an old, large, kettle at a yard sale. Eventually, though, I went for a Jiffy as I was setting up a hat workbench in the corner of the garage and didn't want to have to trek into the house for steaming duties. ;)

Once you have a Jiffy, you won't want to revert to the stove and kettle method. Being able to just flip the switch and have steam in under 20 seconds, and having the steam run without fear of running out of water for as long as you need, will spoil you.

Just make sure to use distilled water in the Jiffy. The heating element is small and will quickly crud up using tap water. That, BTW, is a feature of a kettle - it can use tap water as it's slow to crud up and easy to clean with a little vinegar. The Jiffy is pretty unforgiving in this respect. Fortunately, distilled water is cheap and on the shelves of every grocery store. :)

later!

Stan

Great thoughts - thanks. Recycled distilled water is definitely the way to go. You never know where those water molecules have been - I'm certain I've downed some with pretzels that previously passed through Henry XIII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner