Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flat caps

internetgamble

New in Town
TGSE00615_m.jpg

Hi,

My first post to this great site.
I've been looking for a flat cap of a certain style for a few months and nobody seems to make it. See photo. It's not of the 'gatsby/newsboy/bakerboy' type - no panelling or top button, but large diameter. The traditional 'single panel' flat caps made today seem very small without the extra fabric and 'overhang' of those in the photograph.
I've tried Locks and Bates in London and also B-Wear (Brett - have ordered one of his caps by the way) but to no avail. Even though this style of cap seems as if it was quite widespread in the 20's and 30's, it doesn't seem to have made it through to the 21st Century, unlike other styles of cap.

I noticed the previous thread where Pandora Pitstop was asking a similar question but nobody seems to have been able to fully supply an answer to it.
Maybe they are just not made anywhere anymore?!

A challenge for you all - I'm still looking and found this one on an ebay express shop, but they have no more left and haven't answered my emails as to when they will be available again. See photo here:-
cap1.jpg

Cheers

andy

kools

Practically Family
Welcome...and a very good question. However, your image is not appearing and it's difficult to picture exactly what you are looking for.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Hi there!

Welcome to the lounge.

Have a bit of a collection of flat caps myself. Fairly easy to get hold of over here, since most oldish men still wear them regularly. I buy mine in a mens clothing store - I'll have a look out for the style you're after and let you know if I find anything.

Enjoy your time at the lounge!

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Hi, welcome to the lounge.

I can't see your picture, but I have images from the Sears catalogs of 1919-1930 that have a lot of "1 panel" caps in them. They have the same cut and shape as the 4, 6, and 8 panel caps of that time - minus the button. If the catlogs are any indication, it seems to have been more common than the others.
Not to be confused with the "Ivy" that every bearded 22 year old seems to wear now.

I haven't seen anyone offering a cap like this either, although Jonathan Richard of Ireland makes a 6 panel that has the correct cut and body. I got mine at Bencraft Hats.

B!Wear and others make nice caps, but they simply don't lay like a 1920's cap.

Joel

internetgamble

New in Town
Thanks for the input!

Hi,

Just to say - the pictures I posted are showing up ok on my PC - try right clicking on the images and copying the address into a browser window, you should see them ok that way.

Maybe there is a market to be filled for this style of cap - big, flat like a plate, one big oversized panel - the second picture I posted is the closest thing I've seen - here's the link
http://www.internetgamble.org/files/cap1.jpg

cheers

andy

kools

Practically Family
I now can see the images on my computer at home, but alas, in 20 years of cap wearing I have not seen a source for these.

internetgamble

New in Town
Great images Joel

Love those caps from the catalogue - why don't they make them like that anymore?!

I'll have to take a look at the Ralph Lauren Polo range - I'm curious?!

cheers

andy

Speedster

Practically Family
That's a nice one...

internetgamble said:

Welcome to the Lounge.

I like that cap. It appears that the Classic Caps Co only make the 8-panel caps in old style wide width but not a single panel flat cap. Looking forward to learn if anyone finds a manufacturer/shop for these.

internetgamble

New in Town
Ralph Lauren Polo

Have tried searching for the Ralph lauren Polo cap online - can only find a corduroy version of the cap - is there another version available anyone?

Cheers

andy

BigSho

Vendor
City sport makes caps that have that kind of full cut to them. Or you can search on soemthing called a Big Apple. The big apple isnt the nicest cap in the world but if you like that cut it will serve you well.

Jeremy
Hats Plus Ltd.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Flat caps of that style (usually 10 inch daiameter) were made from at least the twenties until the sixties. Adult fashions didn't change much in those days. They turn up in charity shops in the UK with some regularity. I picked up one three weeks ago, made by Ayres & Smith Ltd in London. This has a couple of clues to an early date - the address and the fact that it has provision for a chin strap. This was a feature of 'top end' caps when they were standard wear for activities such as riding and cycling.

Keep looking in charity shops - originals are always better than reproductions and always cheaper!

Alan

internetgamble

New in Town
Sutlers Stores have a couple of flat caps - both slightly expensive but look ok.

http://www.sutlers.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh...h.html&WD=cap&PN=WORLD_WAR_1.html#a1087#a1087

I like the caps from www.glenalmond.com - I ordered one previously and very happy with it.

I live in London and find myself in charity shops probably at least once a week - also when I travel in the UK I make a point of visiting the local charity outlets - managed to pick up a number of items along the way, but no decent or acceptable flat caps. I'll keep looking.
Jumble sales also a favourite of mine, car boot sales to....and picked up a hat or two at antique fairs.

Regards

andy

nightandthecity

Practically Family
this is a gorgeous single panel 1930s cap I'm selling in classifieds at the moment. The panel is 11 1/2" across - unfortunately the hat is only a 55 (UK 6 3/4, US 6 7/8):

1-2.jpg

here's one of my own, a nice UK size 7 1/8 (US 7 1/4), a little tight but fits me. It's oval, about 10 1/2" x 11" across.

DSCN4847-1.jpg

DSCN4849.jpg

DSCN4846.jpg

I also have photos of this one on file, I'll post them though it's a multi-panel one. If I remember rightly this one is about 12" across, but it's upstairs at the moment and I'm not running up 2 flights just to measure it! It gives a good idea of what they look like if you don't bash them into a rakish flop like the leather one above!

DSCN4840.jpg

DSCN4843.jpg

DSCN4837.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Also, good hunting/fishing shops.

I was in Kelso a few weeks back and they were selling these one piece LARGE Bertie Wooster style caps off. Very much the wear of the fishing and shooting fraternity up here on the Scottish borders.

So try shops of that ilk in London.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner