Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flight Apparel Industries - major disappointment

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
It does seem that the jacket was a disappointment. I would get shot of it on the bay and then keep an eye out for something nice. If you don't mind waiting a nice jacket will turn up for a good price. I no longer have an A2 but the Eastman Pearl Harbor in time worn American Walnut was a beauty and I picked it up for under £300. That was about 5 years ago but I still think bargains come up if you have the patience to wait. Before I made that purchase, I picked up a cheaper one and had the same problems with fit and the actual leather. The difference with the Eastman was incredible.

The cheapest new option must be Bill Kelso or Alexander Leathers. Good luck. I hope you find one you're happy with next time round.

A quick look at Aero's site and I can see a few options. £275 is a steal.
http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1711

Last edited:

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Thanks all, happy to see I'm not the only one who suffered this way :) although sorry that you've had to endured these kind of disappointments too. I've decided I'll stop looking into the cheaper options. It seems like it’s a recipe for disaster in most case… I'll be patient, sell a few items here and there I can find in the house, perhaps even ask the old man if he can make a contribution for my birthday (ideally coming up in 2 months) – and get a higher end jacket. I’m also going to avoid second hand – I think it’s time I get my own and I’d rather avoid further disappointments. I’m thinking Eastman, Aero or Bill Kelso. I’m also intrigued by Aerial Star, the jackets look really good (on pictures) and I like the 3 monthly payment option (wish other brands would do this actually….). I’ve just seen Aero’s sales and they have some pretty good bargains….

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Pays your money, takes your chances.

If nothing else this forum teaches us again and again that it's just not worth buying a mid-range alternative for what we actually want/need. It's just money down the toilet, then good money after bad getting alterations on a sub-standard jacket.

Just save for longer, deal with not having a leather jacket, and buy the good one when you've saved enough.

Not sure about that I own Aero and a bunch of other premium makes. I enjoy my mass produced G&B's as much as any jackets I've bought.

Thanks all, happy to see I'm not the only one who suffered this way :) although sorry that you've had to endured these kind of disappointments too. I've decided I'll stop looking into the cheaper options. It seems like it’s a recipe for disaster in most case… I'll be patient, sell a few items here and there I can find in the house, perhaps even ask the old man if he can make a contribution for my birthday (ideally coming up in 2 months) – and get a higher end jacket. I’m also going to avoid second hand – I think it’s time I get my own and I’d rather avoid further disappointments. I’m thinking Eastman, Aero or Bill Kelso. I’m also intrigued by Aerial Star, the jackets look really good (on pictures) and I like the 3 monthly payment option (wish other brands would do this actually….). I’ve just seen Aero’s sales and they have some pretty good bargains….
What size are you?

JB17COT

Familiar Face
Well, I'm 6ft1", 34" waist and wear size 40" suit jackets. Not sure what this translates to given all manufacturers and contracts have different sizing... Trying to get an idea from Aero right now (Holly) as to what size I should be. She recons size 42, with some adjustments to sleeves/ body length. I'd rather the jacket not be too short and want to be able to wear layers under (e.g. sweaters...). A size 40 would be too small/ uncomfortable for me to wear (my Wested for example is size 40 and while I like it I feel it’s too short and tight).

Well, I'm 6ft1", 34" waist and wear size 40" suit jackets. Not sure what this translates to given all manufacturers and contracts have different sizing... Trying to get an idea from Aero right now (Holly) as to what size I should be. She recons size 42, with some adjustments to sleeves/ body length. I'd rather the jacket not be too short and want to be able to wear layers under (e.g. sweaters...). A size 40 would be too small/ uncomfortable for me to wear (my Wested for example is size 40 and while I like it I feel it’s too short and tight).
You should have no problem finding a used or sale jacket in that size range. Very common. Just keep your eyes on the good places and look for sales, used, etc. You can do much better.

Sounds about right. I'd expect most "standard off the rack" size 40 A2's to fit you snug and be a bit short in sleeve and body length on you.
I'm 5'9 ish and take a size 44 mens jacket. In an A2 I generally take a 46 adjusted a bit shorter in the sleeves/length.
Though....I do have some 44's that measure closer to a 46 and fit great, so it really depends on who makes the jacket.

archbury918

One of the Regulars
JB, I'm 6ft, 188lbs, 32 w, 34 sleeve. My suits are 42 off the rack. All of my flight jackets have been standard production models.
Anything from Aero has been 42 w/ no issues. ELC is typically a 42 depending on production year (I've got some 40's and a 44 that fit well)
My GW's are 46 except the Poughkeepsie which is a 44. All GWs of which I've given light hot water treatments to.

I also have one LW that is a 42, but could probably take in a 40. The HH is damn near bulletproof. Even after ten years, its still breaking in!!:eusa_doh:

Last edited:

pjman

Familiar Face
Pardon the typo - should read 'G-1'.

An authentic G-2 jacket? Never heard of such a thing. What is a G-2? Please explain.
Thanks
HD

Sorry, I meant a G-1 jacket, obviously. Pardon the typo. The Flight Apparel Industries G-1 jacket I have is really very nice, and quite authentic.

pjman

Familiar Face
Sorry, pardon the typo - I meant a G-1 jacket, obviously. The Flight apparel Industries G-1 is really very nice.

JB17COT

Familiar Face
JB, I'm 6ft, 188lbs, 32 w, 34 sleeve. My suits are 42 off the rack. All of my flight jackets have been standard production models.
Anything from Aero has been 42 w/ no issues. ELC is typically a 42 depending on production year (I've got some 40's and a 44 that fit well)
My GW's are 46 except the Poughkeepsie which is a 44. All GWs of which I've given light hot water treatments to.

I also have one LW that is a 42, but could probably take in a 40. The HH is damn near bulletproof. Even after ten years, its still breaking in!!:eusa_doh:

Thanks, seems like 42 should be my default size although clearly will depend on the brand/ contract....

archbury918

One of the Regulars
I guess thats why the consensus here is find yourself a good second hand premium jacket for a third the cost of new. Then you can see what works best.
It's actually kinda fun that way!

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Probably more environmentally friendly, certainly less embarrassing. Odd observation: every Prius I've ever seen seems to have a dent or a scrape. :D

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Probably more environmentally friendly, certainly less embarrassing. Odd observation: every Prius I've ever seen seems to have a dent or a scrape. :D

I'm not a Prius fan by any means, but I've remarked on more than one occasion that the dark blue color some of them sport makes the car look nice.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps we should carry this topic over to the "modern invention you won't miss when obsolete" thread over in the OB? lol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara