Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flinders Street Station to Undergo Extensive Restoration Project

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
McLinky & Fries

The premier of Victoria has announced a plan to restore Melbourne's historic (opened 1910) Flinders Street Station.

Although today it's just a railway station, in the old days, this magnificent structure boasted offices, a daycare center and even a formal ballroom.

This has been attempted before and the plans were shelved.

Let's see what happens this time.

swinggal

One Too Many
There is a huge ballroom on the top floor that I have seen photos of. I'd like the see the building restored, not 'developed' with new crappy architecture. Why can't they just spend money on restoration any more :(

Last edited:

LordBest

Practically Family
How perverse, the local council in my city of 80,000 can apparently borrow $40m to build council office blocks when half the office space in the city is empty, but the Victorian State government can't find $20m to restore one of Melbourne iconic buildings?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
My lord, I'd like, but find it hard, to be optimistic.

Flinders Street Station, for all it's iconic status and fame and beautiful architecture, has been neglected by the government for decades.

In the 1980s, the clocks above the front staircase were removed and replaced with electronic digital clocks.

Melbournians got so pissed off that within a DAY, the original 1910 clocks were replaced at once.

But the rest of the building is just falling apart.

If the government actually bothered to restore (RESTORE, not renovate/develop/'improve' etc) the building, Flinders Street Station could be amazing again.

I mean, could you imagine saying to your kids...

"See that building, son? Twenty years ago, your mother and I got married in the big, swanky ballroom right at the very top..."

But that ballroom hasn't had a party in it for decades. Not for...about 50 years I think.

It's a real shame.

In 2008, there were plans to restore Flinders Street Station, but the plans never came to fruition.

I'm very skeptical at the moment. Three years later, let's see if they can make good on their promise...again.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
If they don't restore the station buildings soon, then before long, we're going to see news headlines that say:

"ICONIC MELBOURNE LANDMARK SLATED FOR DEMOLITION"
'Flinders Street Station too diplapidated', says premier.

The station's been crumbling for years.

The Flinders Station Ballroom as it appeared when the station opened in 1910:

vri_opening-300x272.jpg

This was the Flinders Station ballroom in 2006:

js07n_dance_wideweb__470x316,0.jpg

The station clocktower:

FFS_clock-tower-interior.jpg

The tower from street-level:

FFS_outside-clock-tower.jpg

The station as it appeared ca. 1953, for the coronation celebrations of Queen Elizabeth II:

FFS_queen-cornonation-1953.jpg

The entrance-hall with the famous row of clocks below the arch:

FFS_entrance-hall.jpg

The Station through the years:

[video=youtube;ok13hyZMsME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok13hyZMsME[/video]

At 1:21 you might spot Melbourne's most famous (and sadly today, only) hat shop: City Hatters.

Last edited:

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Wow, what a fabulous place. It should be Melbourne's answer to Grand Central Terminal in New York. Grand Central turned out to be a smashingly successful restoration and redevelopment project.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
As Fats Waller said:

"I've got my fingers crossed,
Not 'cause I'm superstitious,
I just think it's too good to be true..."

Wow, what a fabulous place. It should be Melbourne's answer to Grand Central Terminal in New York. Grand Central turned out to be a smashingly successful restoration and redevelopment project.

Thanks DHermann, but it's hard to be optimistic. The station has been neglected by governments for decades, despite it's iconic status. I don't hold very great hopes for a restoration. It would be awesome if it actually happened...but I remain doubtful.

Last edited:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
It's a beautiful station and one can only hope for the best. I wish ballrooms were more prominent here in Juneau, the last one we had was converted into several meeting rooms in the 1980s... *sigh*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy