Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Floating or Sitting Crown?

Vardeman Sneed

Familiar Face
During the last couple of weeks, I have been experimenting with crown bashes on my Stetson Rancher to fedora conversion project. Initially, I was considering shrinking the crown (6" open to 5" open) when I shrink the diameter (7-7/8 oval to 7-3/4 long oval), however, I am now having second thoughts. The reason: the top of the hat sits on my head!

(Melon head alert!)

To explain this better, I am now using a teardrop bash (4.75" in back, 5" in front, 0.5" trough [moat(?)], with the top popped up even with sides). When I place the hat 1-1/2 finger width above the eyebrows and 1 finger width above my ears, the trough actually touches the top of my head in the front and back. When I center bash, it is even worse.

I assume that one would want the top the crown to float above the head and not actually sit on the head. For this reason, I expect that I will leave the open crown height at 6".

Does anyone else have this problem, or my head just abnormally large?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
60Cycle, you aren't alone. It isn't the size of your head, but rather how much of it is above the ears. I have several clients with the problem and your plan of keeping it at 6" sounds right. Try creasing it just a bit higher to 5 1/4 front, 5" back & see what happens

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Me Too

I too have the same problem 60cycle. All of my current hats have fairly low crowns, and on most I'm stuck with a center dent; there's just not enough felt to do a proper tear-drop shape.

I just won a Dobbs off ebay that claimed to have a 5 inch crown bashed. Hopefully it'll be OK.

I'm gonna have try Akubra's Federation (5 - 6 inch crown) and keep saving my pennies for one of Art's beauties!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Fed still sits on top of my head.

I'm not sure how to make that not happen without an 8" crown or having the thing perch precariously high.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I have the same issue, I like a high crown, center dent with as little taper as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR