Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds

Floppy felt

Felthats46

New in Town
Hi, new here and love this site. I'm making a fedora of sorts out of a wool felt hood with mild stiffener. I steam it and shape it then as I try to work on it the felt goes soft. I steam it again then it gets soft again. Does it just need additional stiffener? I have a good 190 proof shellac base stiffener but I have so much time in this I don't want to ruin it and make the felt hard and crispy. Thanks

belfastboy

I'll Lock Up
Hi, new here and love this site. I'm making a fedora of sorts out of a wool felt hood with mild stiffener. I steam it and shape it then as I try to work on it the felt goes soft. I steam it again then it gets soft again. Does it just need additional stiffener? I have a good 190 proof shellac base stiffener but I have so much time in this I don't want to ruin it and make the felt hard and crispy. Thanks
I mix my shellac using Super Blonde flakes and lots of denatured alcohol 95% pure. I mix it thin and apply very light coats until I get the stiffness that I want. I don't work with wool so not familiar but sometimes on the brim of my fur felts I will give it up to 4 of these light coats.

Felthats46

New in Town
Thank you. I just went ahead and rubbed in one coat. I don't know the ratio of this blend but I know its 190 proof with shellac from Leko hat supplies. It dries super fast. I hope I can still achieve good results with a few coats as you suggest. I appreciate the help
Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kea2364b