Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Floppy felt

Felthats46

New in Town
Hi, new here and love this site. I'm making a fedora of sorts out of a wool felt hood with mild stiffener. I steam it and shape it then as I try to work on it the felt goes soft. I steam it again then it gets soft again. Does it just need additional stiffener? I have a good 190 proof shellac base stiffener but I have so much time in this I don't want to ruin it and make the felt hard and crispy. Thanks

Hi, new here and love this site. I'm making a fedora of sorts out of a wool felt hood with mild stiffener. I steam it and shape it then as I try to work on it the felt goes soft. I steam it again then it gets soft again. Does it just need additional stiffener? I have a good 190 proof shellac base stiffener but I have so much time in this I don't want to ruin it and make the felt hard and crispy. Thanks
I mix my shellac using Super Blonde flakes and lots of denatured alcohol 95% pure. I mix it thin and apply very light coats until I get the stiffness that I want. I don't work with wool so not familiar but sometimes on the brim of my fur felts I will give it up to 4 of these light coats.

Felthats46

New in Town
Thank you. I just went ahead and rubbed in one coat. I don't know the ratio of this blend but I know its 190 proof with shellac from Leko hat supplies. It dries super fast. I hope I can still achieve good results with a few coats as you suggest. I appreciate the help
Sue

Styleslover

New in Town
Thank you. I just went ahead and rubbed in one coat. I don't know the ratio of this blend but I know its 190 proof with shellac from Leko hat supplies. It dries super fast. I hope I can still achieve good results with a few coats as you suggest. I appreciate the help
Sue
Good day, any updates?

Apollo

Familiar Face
I bought 3 wool felt capelines on sale just to try them out. One is very floppy and will need shellac for certain. I will report on my results but it will be a month or so before I get to it.
Thanks, I am looking to try it on a bone color hat!

Thanks, I am looking to try it on a bone color hat!
A wool or fur felt? Whatever the felt mix the shellac weakly and apply sparingly. It is waaay easier to put on light coats in multiples if necessary rather than risking a too thick coat. If you get it too stiff it is a bitch to correct. Also, make sure you use nothing more colourful than Super Blonde on a bone felt. Clear is best but the Super Blonde is ok too.

Apollo

Familiar Face
A wool or fur felt? Whatever the felt mix the shellac weakly and apply sparingly. It is waaay easier to put on light coats in multiples if necessary rather than risking a too thick coat. If you get it too stiff it is a bitch to correct. Also, make sure you use nothing more colourful than Super Blonde on a bone felt. Clear is best but the Super Blonde is ok too.
It’s a beaver hat. I am trying to make the brim a little stiffer. Wow, I Didn’t know they had clear anymore!

What about the hat stifineer spray, have you used it ?
No for me as a hat maker it is too expensive but for a once in a while treatment it is a lot easier & less expensive than the shellac/denatured alcohol. Don't use the Zinsers Spray Shellac from a DIY store as it has wax in it...it is not pure shellac....OK for wood, not for felts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points